When was the last time this was discussed?

That's fine G, but you still have not answered the question as to what is done when someone refuses to pay and has no intention of leaving the area? They might just walk another 100 feet from the area and still enjoy the warm up.

Well, the simple answer is to not let them get within 100' without paying first, wouldn't it? As with any other paid event, if a line-jumper refuses the hosts request to leave, there are security people there to help.

Well, the simple answer is to not let them get within 100' without paying first, wouldn't it? As with any other paid event, if a line-jumper refuses the hosts request to leave, there are security people there to help.

It might not be that simple with large open areas that might be hard to completely secure. But, it will be interesting to find out how it goes down when done.

Edited by Ghost

a clinic is an entirely different case. (although I do understand the parallels) and in every case that im aware of the CORPS runs the clinic and collects the proceeds. has nothing to do with the "show host" (other than the facility fee).

no -- they ARE NOT performing when they are in the lot. they are warming up. sorry. a performance is their judged production in the stadium.

lol so you're going to sell access to the buses? because MANY pits warmup somewhere near the buses and right in front of the equip trucks.

as i said earlier, if you want to UPCHARGE your customer, a parking fee would be the least controversial.

but IMHO if you think you can unilaterally start charging for access to the corps OTHER than their scheduled performances in the stadium, quite frankly you're bananas. charge for your bounce house sure. but I don't think you can reasonably monetize the corps in anything other than the show.

Every single clinic we've ever held (this year will be our 7th and 8th clinics) produced revenue that went to the show, not to the corps. In fact, corps frequently get clinic cost-sharing from their sponsors to help the host cover clinic costs and clear more revenue. Clinic revenue is often used as payment for a corps staying at housing for an extra day or two.

I can GUARANTEE you that every, single corps director would support fully our blocking off the bus lot. Lol, I've seen staff and directors chasing nosy kids away from buses and equipment trucks. But no, most corps do not warm up at the buses - there is usually a defined warm-up area mandated by DCI that corps use for a specific amount of time to warm up.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of cloistering off the warm-up are entirely from fans and, instead, encouraging them to come to the clinic before the show to get their "up close educational fix" of the warm up lines.

Bottom line is that, for an activity that is as starved for cash as this activity is, there should be nothing given away for free. Every time a staff pulls a line together whether to warm up or "perform" (no difference to the spectator IMO) is another chance to monetize the talent of the corps.

It might not be that simple with large open areas that might be hard to completely secure. But, it will be interesting to find out it goes down when don.

Logistically, this is not such a big issue.

Most hosts locate the warmup areas on "the other side of the school" from the stadium. In those cases the school itself acts as a physical barrier, making it easier to cordon off just three sides. If, as is in our case, the corps bus lot is adjacent, blocking off access to the bus lot restricts two sides of the warm up area.

Really, this is not landing on Mars complicated.

Every single clinic we've ever held (this year will be our 7th and 8th clinics) produced revenue that went to the show, not to the corps. In fact, corps frequently get clinic cost-sharing from their sponsors to help the host cover clinic costs and clear more revenue. Clinic revenue is often used as payment for a corps staying at housing for an extra day or two.

I can GUARANTEE you that every, single corps director would support fully our blocking off the bus lot. Lol, I've seen staff and directors chasing nosy kids away from buses and equipment trucks. But no, most corps do not warm up at the buses - there is usually a defined warm-up area mandated by DCI that corps use for a specific amount of time to warm up.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of cloistering off the warm-up are entirely from fans and, instead, encouraging them to come to the clinic before the show to get their "up close educational fix" of the warm up lines.

Bottom line is that, for an activity that is as starved for cash as this activity is, there should be nothing given away for free. Every time a staff pulls a line together whether to warm up or "perform" (no difference to the spectator IMO) is another chance to monetize the talent of the corps.

clearly your show-going experience differences vastly from mine. ditto with the clinics.

can't imagine being able to create boundaries at the majority of 30 or so different (mostly east coast) venues ive been to.

could you imagine East with pay to play lot access ? roflol

there may "defined areas" but ive seen pits and corps and hornlines be .. ummm .. rather expansive in their inteprerations. they spread out like cockroaches in a bad pizza joint.

yes bus security is an increasing concern. (although gym security is a far bigger one) otoh it's probably not as easy to address as you seem to think.

bottom line is that in any event you as the show host would probably need the corps and DCI's permission to monetize any additional aspect of their time other than their scheduled performance.

and in any case i dont think you're losing much ticket revenue to the lot (as i explained in an earlier message). all much about nothing IMHO.

Edited by corpsband

Paying for the lot?

Great Idea, I think the Lot is detrimental to the corps that go on early, would love to kill it off

So, um, how are corps going to split the income from the lot, why’s it assumed it would go to the show, why wouldn’t it be billed like on the field?

Edited by cowtown

I think the TOC shows have this all figured out by the way.

The corps learn additional small-ensemble material just for those events. There's actual entertainment value for the audience.

Many (most) of the pre-show performances are in the actual stadium so people *need* tickets to enjoy the pre-show.

And guess what -- folks STILL stand out in the lot and watch drumlines drum.

And no one has to try to sell tickets to the lot.

If I were a local show host, I'd try to get some in-stadium stuff going on (maybe by the resident corps?" to drive folks into the stadium pre-show!

Edited by corpsband

Paying for the lot?

Great Idea, I think the Lot is detrimental to the corps that go on early, would love to kill it off

So, um, how are corps going to split the income from the lot, why’s it assumed it would go to the show, why wouldn’t it be billed like on the field?

profit-sharing with corps is gonna put a big dent in all that extra-income G is slobbering over. :ninja:

Edited by corpsband

it's so funny how in a post about lower placing corps or OC 1of many reasons for butts not being in the stands was the lot. Funny how 1 word or 1 sentence and it has a life of it's own..lol.When it was just to show how some corps do not get the support of others even though many claim support. That's all it was..lmao

Well at least a conversation I guess. :satisfied:

• Like 1

profit-sharing with corps is gonna put a big dent in all that extra-income G is slobbering over. :ninja:

Oh, don't doubt that I know what little revenue we're talking about compared to putting effort into getting one more band bus in the fan lot.

But DCI doesn't now come knocking for "their" cut of clinic proceeds - those details are worked out between the corps and the TEP.

So long as corps' schedule is not interrupted I found them to be very amenable to just about any revenue scheme we've come up with. They know their product is what sells tickets and generates revenue. Whether it's generated in a clinic, the lot, or in selling seats I don't think they really care.

Now, if I asked them to go across town and do a free standup for advertising, they push back against eating into their practice time.

I wonder, if the lot fans are not buying tickets and they don't come back to East because they no longer get a free lot show and don't have to buy a ticket, what is lost?