Mid-season show changes

I agree with this mostly.

I don't agree that changing parts of the show should give you a bigger boost in the eyes of the judging community than if you had the "better" show section in the show since the beginning. Here we again come to the question of intentionally putting out an inferior product, or not your "best effort" from a design side, for the first part of the season and that this somehow brings a competitive benefit.

Side note: are there metrics on repeat audience members? Like, what percentage of the fans at a show see multiple shows?

without over thinking it...there is always a strategy in any competition.

This is an interesting topic. It's incredible how far along the activity has come with the ability for corps to implement changes during the season.

Does anyone remember when mid-season changes started to become the norm? I think there were exceptions BITD (Madison '76, Vanguard '80) but I don't remember shows being changed that much during the season.

Very easy, PLANNING, and in segments.Also while on tour the mindset of staff as well as members is alot quicker than early on.

What he said. In 2000, the end of the show that you saw at finals was not the end of the show in the early season, neither was the end of the opener. We learned the "new" end of the show a few days before San Antonio, and learned the "new" end of the opener at the Ft. Edward (?) New York show.

Edited by 2000Cadet

without over thinking it...there is always a strategy in any competition.

does this strategy benefit the paying audience?

edit: I am much more supportive of a strategy to maximize the performance of the members, than a strategy that somehow manipulates the judges opinions of the show beyond what they are currently seeing on the field at that time.

If the judges like ending 2 better than ending 1, you should not be rewarded more for putting ending 1 on the field and changing to ending 2 than you would be rewarded for using ending 2 from the start.

Edited by soccerguy315

does this strategy benefit the paying audience?

edit: I am much more supportive of a strategy to maximize the performance of the members, than a strategy that somehow manipulates the judges opinions of the show beyond what they are currently seeing on the field at that time.

If the judges like ending 2 better than ending 1, you should not be rewarded more for putting ending 1 on the field and changing to ending 2 than you would be rewarded for using ending 2 from the start.

you are forgetting, which many have over the last few decades I suppose. You are a spectator watching a competition

You are also assuming that whatever is changed will 100% work . You are assuming alot in the intention of a corps or designer and YES you could be right BUT it is very much the nature of competition. If you want to change the very fiber of our activity to popularity or a non judged activity then I still would think you would still see changes through the year. Maybe with different intentions BUT still changes.

Edited by GUARDLING

This is an interesting topic. It's incredible how far along the activity has come with the ability for corps to implement changes during the season.

Does anyone remember when mid-season changes started to become the norm? I think there were exceptions BITD (Madison '76, Vanguard '80) but I don't remember shows being changed that much during the season.

We also had alot less time BITD and werent away on tour as long. Remember all the times we said OH , if we only had a little more time. Well now they do ( for those who know how to use it..lol)

Sometimes the Strategy was long planned out before even knowing what the performance would be ...hehehehehe :shutup:

Or, maybe more succinctly, the strategy of mid-season change is because they don't know what the performance will be. :augen51:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

What he said. In 2000, the end of the show that you saw at finals was not the end of the show in the early season, neither was the end of the opener. We learned the "new" end of the show a few days before San Antonio, and learned the "new" end of the opener at the Ft. Edward (?) New York show.

"Learned a few days b4 S.A. ... learned or implemented?" I'd like specifics... was it drill, music or both? How long were you working on the change b4 you went public at a show? Stuff like that:)