Move Ins and Noise Ordinances

I know this has been in the news a lot with some NJ HS's having issues during marching band season. I don't remember ever really having an issue on tour though. A little easier in the summer months with no school in the morning, but I'm sure there were times our schedule was adjusted so we didn't have any issues out on tour. Our ST sight was right next to San Antonio airport... so our noise wasn't much of an issue.

Yes, Brick Memorial and Rahway HS MBs have had townspeople complain. Luckiy, for both it has worked out for the bands with local authorities.

I remember a story of SCV getting in trouble for noise a few years back while rehearsing in Atherton, CA. (Super rich area of the Bay) The police there carry decibel meters instead of tazers kind of town. I believe they only went to that town once between of the issues.

• Like 1

Hell...I remember noise complaints at 04 DCA after retreat when the corps were doing their parking lot runs.

Security runs uo and says they can;t play because "there are people in million dollar homes" up on the hill....a statement which imporessed NO ONE from Renegades ir SoCal Dream, as that price meant a small bathroom back home,

• Like 1

I know this has been in the news a lot with some NJ HS's having issues during marching band season. I don't remember ever really having an issue on tour though. A little easier in the summer months with no school in the morning, but I'm sure there were times our schedule was adjusted so we didn't have any issues out on tour. Our ST sight was right next to San Antonio airport... so our noise wasn't much of an issue.

We had some similar problems back when I was in high school. There was an apartment complex which backed right up to the parking lot we rehearsed on. Whenever a noise complaint was filed, the cops would send a squad car to drive past the rehearsal, but that was about it. They had no intention of shutting us down. One guy would occasionally try to drown us out by cranking up some rap music as loud as he could, but that usually just served to tick off the other residents even more.

There's also this video of the 1999 Blue Devils drum line getting interrupted and asked to move twice during their quarterfinals warmup because the warm-up site was in a neighborhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIFxlpRIKj0

Edited by TroopAlum12

We had some similar problems back when I was in high school. There was an apartment complex which backed right up to the parking lot we rehearsed on. Whenever a noise complaint was filed, the cops would send a squad car to drive past the rehearsal, but that was about it. They had no intention of shutting us down. One guy would occasionally try to drown us out by cranking up some rap music as loud as he could, but that usually just served to tick off the other residents even more.

There's also this video of the 1999 Blue Devils drum line getting interrupted and asked to move twice during their quarterfinals warmup because the warm-up site was in a neighborhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIFxlpRIKj0

If my memory serves, Championships were in Madison that year. You'd think all the neighbors in and around Madison would've been used to the sounds of drum corps warming up since it was the go-to place at least every few years for the longest time (at least until Indy).

Come to think of it, the only problems with police Troopers had in my time with them was getting shut down for heat ordinances.

It happened twice in 2010. First in Phoenix, AZ, before our first show of the season, we were asked to shut down and go inside because the temperature broke 110, and another time in Hutchinson, KS the cops showed up and told the staff that if the temperature rose another 3-4 degrees we would have to head in as well.

I'm pretty sure the staff was already planning on it, but its the only times I can remember where police were ever involved.

Edited by TroopAlum12