Colts first performance

I had seen the colts online before but I recently saw them in person and I decided to time their narration(which seems to have very little or no playing during it) and I ended up with 4 minutes and 2 seconds. This is what is wrong with drum corps now. It is almost as if playing doesn't matter anymore. How are they getting ranked higher than corps who actually play their whole show? What about like Mandarins or Spirit of Atlanta? Its really just sad and embarrassing for the Colts these past two years.

The activity is changing (whether you think it is good or bad) and we can do nothing about it. I marched in a top 12 corps back in the 1980s and corps has changed, just like it changed from the 1960s, 1970s, and so on. We didn't have electronics back then. We didn't play on 3 valve bugles or on B flat instruments. THE ACTIVITY CHANGES ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

No matter how much people complain about it, we now have electronics, narration, singing, trombones, french horns, etc., etc., etc.......Get over it!

Sorry to rant, but anytime you are going to tell me that a group should be sorry or embarrassed, you are way out of line! All these groups whether an Open Class corps or a top 5 World Class Corps, these STUDENTS are working their butts off and are playing by the rules that DCI has set up! You have a problem with it, then send a letter to DCI but don't tell the students they should be sorry or embarrassed!

Edited by Pit Dad
  • Like 1

Could someone please post the entire narration script here. I'm still having trouble identifying all of the characters and following the plot line due to sound issues, camera angles changing, etc. It's still not one of my favorite shows but I would like a libretto please.

Could someone please post the entire narration script here. I'm still having trouble identifying all of the characters and following the plot line due to sound issues, camera angles changing, etc. It's still not one of my favorite shows but I would like a libretto please.

Here is the character information from the Colts website, but they have changed the script all summer long so not sure where you would get that from.

Trixie, a beautiful street-wise dancer (blue dress) from a local joint that caters to riff-raff, comes to the office of our hero Johnny Staccato, Private Detective (yellow suit coat). She seeks his help for her boyfriend, a young innocent sailor who has returned from the war and is being hassled by Louie (red suit), the club owner and local wise guy. Our story starts with a murder and winds its way through the seedy world of gangsters, chorus girls and down on their luck private eyes.

The front ensemble and narrators are actors behind the scenes on the radio show from the 1940s and the performers on the field are acting out the story being told by the narrators.

• Like 1

The activity is changing (whether you think it is good or bad) and we can do nothing about it. I marched in a top 12 corps back in the 1980s and corps has changed, just like it changed from the 1960s, 1970s, and so on. We didn't have electronics back then. We didn't play on 3 valve bugles or on B flat instruments. THE ACTIVITY CHANGES ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

No matter how much people complain about it, we now have electronics, narration, singing, trombones, french horns, etc., etc., etc.......Get over it!

Sorry to rant, but anytime you are going to tell me that a group should be sorry or embarrassed, you are way out of line! All these groups whether an Open Class corps or a top 5 World Class Corps, these STUDENTS are working their butts off and are playing by the rules that DCI has set up! You have a problem with it, then send a letter to DCI but don't tell the students they should be sorry or embarrassed!

Your "rant" was a lot nicer than what a started to say :P I personally find the Colts show super entertaining and well put together. They are working their tails off just like every other corps and their scores show it! Every time I've seen them on perform they've gotten a great crowd response so clearly others are digging it too! Don't let one sour poster's dumb comments get you down.

Not sure about a narration transcript, but here's a pretty cool podcast about the show if you have time to listen.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210235395

• Like 1

I had seen the colts online before but I recently saw them in person and I decided to time their narration(which seems to have very little or no playing during it) and I ended up with 4 minutes and 2 seconds. This is what is wrong with drum corps now. It is almost as if playing doesn't matter anymore. How are they getting ranked higher than corps who actually play their whole show? What about like Mandarins or Spirit of Atlanta? Its really just sad and embarrassing for the Colts these past two years.

I will say this...I'm NOT a fan of narration...but honestly I LOVE it in this show!!!!...it is perfect to the theme...Fun and very enjoyable to listen...just loved the VIBE...and many in the audience at A-town were LOVING it as well...narration is here to stay whether you like it or not...lol

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

Having a kid in the guard, the Colt show has changed significantly from early season. They have pulled allot of the narration and its seems more focused. Still has some spots where it just kind feels like something missing. That being said - they listened to the judges and criticisms - so only the quarter and semi finals will tell.

I suspect it will still be penalized in the judging, at least until the top 3 corps start to do it too....

Having a kid in the guard, the Colt show has changed significantly from early season. They have pulled allot of the narration and its seems more focused. Still has some spots where it just kind feels like something missing. That being said - they listened to the judges and criticisms - so only the quarter and semi finals will tell.

I suspect it will still be penalized in the judging, at least until the top 3 corps start to do it too....

I agree it seems like it flows a little better since they cut parts of the narration. I think that what I don't like about the narration is not only the length of it, but the fact the Colts have what sounds like it might be their best hornline ever, and I would love for them to show it off a little more. It also doesn't seem like much goes on during the narration from a visual standpoint either. It is still a very nice show, and probably will lock in at 13th.

And as far as being penalized, I don't think that is getting them penalized, and if you look at Cadets shows(Garfield Holy Cadets of Bergen County, not Colt Cadets) you will find a top 3 corps doing tons of narration in 2 of their shows between 2006-2009(I can't remember which year Sarah Jones had cancer, and which year This I Believe was). I would say it started in the top 3 corps, and trickled down over the years. Typically that is the way DCI works.

• Like 1