"The"

On the other hand, I think all countries should follow the example of The United States and The Gambia. Consider: The Canada. The China. The Mexico. Adds a certain je ne sais quoi, n'est-ce pas?

As a proud alum of The Ohio State University, i am very okay with referring to any group/team/corps as "The" blah blah, when speaking officially about them.

In general terms i'll still call them cavies or cadets or academy.

But to the above poster. The Ohio State University was founded in 1870, but had a different name. In 1878 the state legislature renamed the school to The Ohio State University, and was not the first public University in the state of Ohio. Originally though they didn't like the The before the OSU part, so it was just OSU. About 100 years later the school wanted to distance itself from other OSUs (oklahoma st, oregon st) and had a major PR facelift where they decided the block O would be the symbol instead of a rounded O. And they put the The back in place to distinguish itself from the other state universities in ohio.

But in the end The Ohio State University is what the school is called.

Courtesy of the board of trustees minutes in 1878...

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

• Like 1

But to the above poster. The Ohio State University was founded in 1870, but had a different name. In 1878 the state legislature renamed the school to The Ohio State University, and was not the first public University in the state of Ohio. Originally though they didn't like the The before the OSU part, so it was just OSU. About 100 years later the school wanted to distance itself from other OSUs (oklahoma st, oregon st) and had a major PR facelift where they decided the block O would be the symbol instead of a rounded O. And they put the The back in place to distinguish itself from the other state universities in ohio.

But in the end The Ohio State University is what the school is called.

I stand corrected. I guess I thought it had more to do with being the first state u, and also differentiation. I take it Ohio U was first. For some reason I thought they began as a private school. Good stuff.

I stand corrected. I guess I thought it had more to do with being the first state u, and also differentiation. I take it Ohio U was first. For some reason I thought they began as a private school. Good stuff.

Yeah OU was first but miami and cinci were both also pre-1870.

I am sure no one in the late 1800s thought the state school in that carriage making city of Columbus would grow to what it is now. But alas, here we are.

My last post about OSU and then still bringing it back to topic.

I find that if an alum says "i went to ohio state university" instead of The... That they are just as likely to hear a fellow alum say "The" as they are to hear someone who is annoyed by it say "Don't you mean THEEEE Ohio State University?"

A culture has developed where people expect it. And most don't care but for whatever reason we like ticking people off.

Which brings me to my last point about this, the greatest gift OSU has given me is the ability to annoy people around the country by simply saying The Ohio State University. Yes it sounds pretentious, and yes i accept it.

Back to the topic. While typically for things, groups with a The are alphabetized by the following word, it seems like "The" in some contexts can take on a part of the identity of the group such that its as important as the word that follows. I do not know enough about the history of these corps, i suppose it may depend if The is capitalized mid sentence for these corps. Since the corps technical full name is usually The Cadets Drum and Bugle corps, its not an issue about using the full name.

If its about identifying a group of people like how the one said earlier, i am not sure. Is it The Troopers as well? Is it Santa Clara Vanguard but The Vanguard? Or should it more grammatically be The Santa Clara Vanguard? Because it is a specific subset of folks in Santa Clara who are the vanguard?

People more familiar with histories should be responsible for this.

:sarcasm: (In a most friendly way...)

"And now taking the field for competition....from Allentown, Pennsylvania....Cadets, The."

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 5