The Top 5

Hi ... I'm new here but I have lurked for about a year now. I am very geeked by how tightly packed the top five are so far this year, may they continue to be so close at finals!. But something that has occurred to me is that the difference between the top five and the middle of the finalist pack seems to get more pronounced each year, and this year the gap is huge. Things are getting to the point that if the corps headlining a show isn't a top five corps, my personal inclination is that I might not want to travel and invest in a ticket to see the show, which for me, at least, is a new phenomenon. Has the G7 become the Fab 5? Is this a matter of the rich getting richer and the middle class being squeezed? Will there be an occupy Lucas Oil Stadium movement, the 99% versus the 1% (or the 95 point and under club versus the 95 plus club)? Yes, I know that the top two or three in any given year are usually heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack, but what is new for me is that in the past, the next tier of corps didn't pale as much in comparison. I used to get excited about the middle finalists’ battles, and of course, who squeaked in the top 12, or who was squeezed out. I suppose I am still interested in these battles, but not nearly as much as I have been in the past. Perhaps I should just appreciate how incredible the top five are, but it feels like something is getting lost underneath them.

Hi ... I'm new here but I have lurked for about a year now. I am very geeked by how tightly packed the top five are so far this year, may they continue to be so close at finals!. But something that has occurred to me is that the difference between the top five and the middle of the finalist pack seems to get more pronounced each year, and this year the gap is huge. Things are getting to the point that if the corps headlining a show isn't a top five corps, my personal inclination is that I might not want to travel and invest in a ticket to see the show, which for me, at least, is a new phenomenon. Has the G7 become the Fab 5? Is this a matter of the rich getting richer and the middle class being squeezed? Will there be an occupy Lucas Oil Stadium movement, the 99% versus the 1% (or the 95 point and under club versus the 95 plus club)? Yes, I know that the top two or three in any given year are usually heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack, but what is new for me is that in the past, the next tier of corps didn't pale as much in comparison. I used to get excited about the middle finalists battles, and of course, who squeaked in the top 12, or who was squeezed out. I suppose I am still interested in these battles, but not nearly as much as I have been in the past. Perhaps I should just appreciate how incredible the top five are, but it feels like something is getting lost underneath them.

To me it seems like the top 5 are just so good right now, this year and last, and no one is falling.

But the cavies, phantom, and BK are on an upswing too. Just not quite at the level of the top 5. Look at where BK and Cavies were in 2012,and where phantom was after rennick then shaw left (yes 2012 phantom placed 3rd but they've been wildly inconsistent overall). Im willing to say that while the 1-5 quality is as good as its ever been, the 6-8 range is better than it has ever been.

To me it seems like the top 5 are just so good right now, this year and last, and no one is falling.

But the cavies, phantom, and BK are on an upswing too. Just not quite at the level of the top 5. Look at where BK and Cavies were in 2012,and where phantom was after rennick then shaw left (yes 2012 phantom placed 3rd but they've been wildly inconsistent overall). Im willing to say that while the 1-5 quality is as good as its ever been, the 6-8 range is better than it has ever been.

You're undoubtedly correct, and to be fair, I have only seen mid-west shows live so far this year. I can't wait to see what Phantom and BK bring to the table in particular. (I loved BK's show last year!) Perhaps it is my perception the top five are progressing so much faster than the 6-8 range, even though the 6-8 are also much improved. Then again ... I am basing my musings on what I have seen in June, which really isn't fair. I shouldn't jump to such judgements until August. Maybe the top five are just getting better at coming out of the gate.

Hi ... I'm new here but I have lurked for about a year now. I am very geeked by how tightly packed the top five are so far this year, may they continue to be so close at finals!. But something that has occurred to me is that the difference between the top five and the middle of the finalist pack seems to get more pronounced each year, and this year the gap is huge. Things are getting to the point that if the corps headlining a show isn't a top five corps, my personal inclination is that I might not want to travel and invest in a ticket to see the show, which for me, at least, is a new phenomenon. Has the G7 become the Fab 5? Is this a matter of the rich getting richer and the middle class being squeezed? Will there be an occupy Lucas Oil Stadium movement, the 99% versus the 1% (or the 95 point and under club versus the 95 plus club)? Yes, I know that the top two or three in any given year are usually heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack, but what is new for me is that in the past, the next tier of corps didn't pale as much in comparison. I used to get excited about the middle finalists’ battles, and of course, who squeaked in the top 12, or who was squeezed out. I suppose I am still interested in these battles, but not nearly as much as I have been in the past. Perhaps I should just appreciate how incredible the top five are, but it feels like something is getting lost underneath them.

I think the top 5 came out of the gate ready to rumble. Not saying the others haven't, but their A game seems to be a little tigher. Just my opinion.

By the way, I love your screename.

I think the top 5 came out of the gate ready to rumble. Not saying the others haven't, but their A game seems to be a little tigher. Just my opinion.

By the way, I love your screename.

I can see it now, Brandt Crocker doing his best Michael Buffer impression. “From Canton, Ohio, Drum Corps International is proud to present, THE BLOO CRRRRTS! Are you ready to RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!?!

Thanks, I came up with my screen name after consuming a couple adult bevearges. And I loved Cadets in 2000, though I only saw recordings of your show!

I can see it now, Brandt Crocker doing his best Michael Buffer impression. “From Canton, Ohio, Drum Corps International is proud to present, THE BLOO CRRRRTS! Are you ready to RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!?!

Thanks, I came up with my screen name after consuming a couple adult bevearges. And I loved Cadets in 2000, though I only saw recordings of your show!

I only saw recordings of it also. :devil:

• Like 1

You're undoubtedly correct, and to be fair, I have only seen mid-west shows live so far this year. I can't wait to see what Phantom and BK bring to the table in particular. (I loved BK's show last year!) Perhaps it is my perception the top five are progressing so much faster than the 6-8 range, even though the 6-8 are also much improved. Then again ... I am basing my musings on what I have seen in June, which really isn't fair. I shouldn't jump to such judgements until August. Maybe the top five are just getting better at coming out of the gate.

Understandable, ive only seen the cinecast in theaters and the Stanford show on dci live. Phantom and BK have two stellar shows in my opinion. While i felt cavies left much to be desired, ive heard its greatly improved and is a world better live.

But i think its that the top 5 could, potentially, each win it all. With the right changes, panel, and performance. But no one 6-8 is really in the neighborhood to medal, and usually i think it tends to group like 5-6 and 7-9 instead of this gap between 5 and 6.

If the discussion turns to segmentation within the World Class Division, it really has been just 1 Corps ( Blue Devils ) and then the rest of the Corps ( including the next 6 ). Since 2007, 8 years ago, the Blue Devils have won 5 of the last DCI Titles ( and so, so close in the others ). There has been more volatility and change with Corps from 7-12, then from the top 2. So again, if the discussion is revolving around segmentation within the World Class Division, it really is not the 7 and then the others at all... It is 1... the Blue Devils.... and then everybody else, imo. How can anybody really put SCV ( for example ) in the same segmentation as that of the Blue Devils ? Maybe that changes some day ( this year ? ), but nobody can make the claim that SCV and BD are in the same segmentation. Not really. Not when SCV hasn't topped BD in dozens of head to head matchups and in years and years now. BD has finished 1 or,2 in every season of the last 8 seasons. SCV hasn't medaled ( top 3 ) even once during this same timeframe. So really, until this changes, its really the Blue Devils........ then everybody else.

Edited by BRASSO

If the discussion turns to segmentation within the World Class Division, it really has been just 1 Corps ( Blue Devils ) and then the rest of the Corps ( including the next 6 ). Since 2007, 8 years ago, the Blue Devils have won 5 of the last DCI Titles ( and so, so close in the others ). There has been more volatility and change with Corps from 7-12, then from the top 2. So again, if the discussion is revolvinng around segmentation within the World Class Division, it really is not the 7 and then then others at all, in my opinion.. It is 1... the Blue Devils.... and then everybody else.

It really is hard to argue with that. This year the potential is there for a new champion, (anyone from this steller top five could win) and it is always exciting to see when that happens, but odds makers could legitimately make the odds, “Pick one, Blue Devils or the field,” at the beginning of any season.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer