Criticizing the "Kids"

Yes, Eleran, it is. It is the staff's decision to use this member's voice. Staff make the decisions, not the members.

What I meant was whether that person's post was (A) criticizing the staff, as you point out, or (B) criticizing the kid, as Brasso asked whether it ever happens, or ( C) all of the above.

Edited by Eleran

What I meant was whether that person's post was (A) criticizing the staff, as you point out, or (B) criticizing the kid, as Brasso asked whether it ever happens, or ( C) all of the above.

That comment in particular was specifically criticizing the kid. I myself have made a comment in a similar fashion to the Cavies singer. And while I do feel bad about it, I stand by it.

Of course, the whole blame isn't on the singer. It's divided between management who chose the person to sing as well as decided to add a singing part to their show.

Yeah, Cappy. One cannot really criticize the members at all, because the staff makes the decision give people membership as well as to how to use the member talents. Staff are totally to blame for whatever decision are made on the logistic sides of show creation and evolution.

isn't placing all the blame and umbrage on the staff kind of taking the agency out of the members' hands? If you'd have told me when I was marching that I was a cog in a designer's idea, I'd have responded that a designer's 'idea' was nothing without my talent, and that he should be thanking me every day that I deigned to give his concept life.

which is highly arrogant, but should be the attitude of every marcher.

if you say that members aren't responsible for their performance flaws, isn't that just a roundabout way of also taking away the credit for their success?

as said, this isn't the venue for being critical of the performers. But let's not pretend that members are delicate flowers.

maybe one of the best things i took away from marching was the ability to be criticized. to hear people tell you 'not good enough. you dropped the ball.'

and when you realize that they aren't being mean, that they are on your side, you get better. when you meet people who CAN'T take criticism and live one excuses, you realize what a difference taking critique can make.

anecdote: was walking past a pit warming up pre-show, a group from a quarter-finals corps. uniforms jackets and helmets just lying about. not folded, not in a row. just kind of lying around in piles and bunches.
and I thought 'if that is the attitude they take towards this part of being a member, no doubt it is reflected in their performance.'

who gets the blame there? the section head for not teaching the kids discipline?

what about the section leader? it's his/her section, his/her jacket, his/her responsibility to Own the Experience.

no, corps members should not be called to task by strangers on an internet forum.

but they also shouldn't be discussed and discounted as if they were delicate participants or non-entitites. they're competitors, and the good ones thrive on being judged.

• Like 1

Seen-it-all. From what I understand, this soloist had consistently played this particular solo well the entire season, except this one performance. The staff made the right choice and the soloist had one bad performance.

31rabbit. If the members can optimally perform their show, you should care about the façade of how uniforms are folded? Appearance over substance is a problem, not a solution.

you show me a corps that excels on the field while being shoddy off it and it will be the first time I've seen such a thing.