Criticizing the "Kids"

i was not the biggest geoffery supporter (to put that lightly) i do remember talking with the merch staff of another corps (who will remain nameless) who said that Vanguard's 2011 show, the devil's staircase, was a story about little geoffery going to hell. or heck, if hell is bleeped out on dcp.

Its strange how split the people were about that show. But i do remember that he played it well, even if i found the character to be over the top annoying. In one way, that was the point. in another, maybe i shouldn't take it so personally when parts of a show annoy me. But i suppose having strong feelings about a show or a part of a show is better than no feelings at all.

ok thats kinda funny...lol..A side note , SCV's show that year didn't get enough credit, new, fresh, contemporary etc. Great show IMO

Anyway, that's the whole point we all do'nt have to support or like everything. If we don't like something , move on. Not everything is for everyone nor should it be. How boring if it were. Opinions are great and I suppose yet another entitlement but sometimes saying nothing could say more. Just because we can have an opinion or can talk doesn't mean we should all the time. Boundaries , imo are not just blurred today they are smeared and non existent at times.

now i want to derail this discussion into ranking all the Great on-field characters (see: Vanguard's Phantom, Madison's Pirates) and the not-so-great.

but I digress.

Do you sometimes wish you never had heard of it? :P

Attacking members personally is lame and mean-spirited, and shouldn't be tolerated. But pointing out problems with a performance in a performing arts activity...name of the game, really.

I also don't think everyone deserves a standing ovation, and I find the oft-repeated idea that "every corps works just as hard as every other" to be untrue

Well as far as working you're kinda right. I think all corps work hard just very different. Im very sure there are corps who THINK they work hard but dont. That goes for staff also

I really don't think we give marchers credit to be able to sustain occasional criticism. I really don't think this young woman is so weak of character that she is going to wilt under an anonymous posting on a message board that somebody thinks her voice is " marginal at best ". These marchers in DCI have ALL heard even their own staff tell them... and individually too... far worse things about their individual playing or marching abilities. Some of it quite harsh too, but they roll with it... and it makes them even better and stronger, imo. I'd imagine 99% of DCI marchers laugh at the things said on occasion on here. So if it doesn't concern those 99%, I 'm not sure what the role is of the few DCP Mother Hens here regarding an issue that essentially is a non issue with the marchers, as near as I can tell anyway.

I separate the idea of what the members can handle from whether or not it is a good practice for people in DCP and elsewhere to say something personal.

I am sure just about every member will read the stuff and laugh it off as silly, but that doesn't make it OK for the poster to say. It is still rude and bad form, IMO.

• Like 3

ok thats kinda funny...lol..A side note , SCV's show that year didn't get enough credit, new, fresh, contemporary etc. Great show IMO

Anyway, that's the whole point we all do'nt have to support or like everything. If we don't like something , move on. Not everything is for everyone nor should it be. How boring if it were. Opinions are great and I suppose yet another entitlement but sometimes saying nothing could say more. Just because we can have an opinion or can talk doesn't mean we should all the time. Boundaries , imo are not just blurred today they are smeared and non existent at times.

Oh definitely. I found it funny too. But its just going to show that people are pretty open about criticizing other corps shows and elements of the show. I think saying things like "Little Geoffery should play in traffic" is a bit harsh, but i still chuckled when i heard it. And i don't think anyone intended that the person who played him should die, at least i hope not. But it was clear that the folks in the merch truck were not a fan of the cadets production the year before or SCV's that year. So it goes. I also doubt they thought of it themselves (they could have) but it was likely a shared sentiment by other volunteers and staff members, maybe MMs too. I do wonder how much, or little, different corps hear of other corps shows during the season.

I think people just like DCI to be a positive space for designers and performers, and let the judges to their jobs and the fans do their jobs, and the mms do their jobs, and the designers do their jobs. Our job, as fans, is to enjoy the show (i know that not everyone on here is just a fan). the staff's job is to be critical and so is the judge's jobs, and the designers need to take the judge's opinions to heart, not our's.

But about SCV's 2011 show. I think its a great example of a show that is essentially a percussion show with brass. I think the best shows are ones that balance all sides of the DCI performance triangle together (brass, percussion, guard). Meanwhile Crown has had shows which are Brass at the expense of the others. Blue Knights have had shows that are Guard at the expense of the others. And i've liked each of these shows, but its just examples of this point.

• Like 1

now i want to derail this discussion into ranking all the Great on-field characters (see: Vanguard's Phantom, Madison's Pirates) and the not-so-great.

but I digress.

#1 for best, in my opinion, the ball.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

I really don't think we give marchers credit to be able to sustain occasional criticism. I really don't think this young woman is so weak of character that she is going to wilt under an anonymous posting on a message board that somebody thinks her voice is " marginal at best ". These marchers in DCI have ALL heard even their own staff tell them... and individually too... far worse things about their individual playing or marching abilities. Some of it quite harsh too, but they roll with it

nwhj2.jpg

• Like 2

#1 for best, in my opinion, the ball.

maxresdefault.jpg

I kept waiting for that thing to start eating people, a la 'The Prisoner.'

• Like 1

I separate the idea of what the members can handle from whether or not it is a good practice for people in DCP and elsewhere to say something personal.

I am sure just about every member will read the stuff and laugh it off as silly, but that doesn't make it OK for the poster to say. It is still rude and bad form, IMO.

We have become a country of very bad behavior at times and use the freedom we have as an excuse to continually speak when maybe we shouldnt. I think ones opinion can be said without it being nasty but some just cant help themselves.

On the other hand criticize those same peoples corps or a corps they like and all of a sudden it's another story...lol..funny

I do think the PC police in life and in general has also gone to far but that's another topic. Although it can relate.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1