Singing All At Once and Trends in Drum Corps

Lest we forget the original "singing in a drum corps show," the Holy Name Cadets singing "Amen" at the end of their 1977 show. Of course, they received a 1-point penalty for doing that, but that moment paved the way for other corps to involve singing in their shows!

The more you know!

cf. post 9, page 1 of this thread.

I don't think your explanation fits the facts. What Boston and Troopers are doing this year (to cite the two instances I've seen of the current crop) has never "worked" for anyone. The highest-scoring previous show with something like BAC and Troop's emphasis was probably Cadets' sixth-place placing show in 2006. Crown's preshow "Space Oddity" last year feels totally different (to me) than what these two corps are doing.

OK, but Crown's trampolines, hula hoops, large odd shaped props etc and all that stuff did not work for them with the judges, as they fell from 1st to 5th with that stuff. They had an outstanding brass line last season, but it didn't really matter, as the Show Design sunk them placement wise before the marchers got off the buses for their first show. So we should be able to agree that trampolines and hula hoops, large props ( all used before in Drum Corps ) and all those space oddities stuff out there on the field did not work at all for Crown last season. This year, Crown has abandoned going with all the " stuff " out on the field, and lo and behold, the Brass, Drums, Guard alone seem to be working much better for them, so far.

Edited by BRASSO

Something to remember about the yearly design fads for DCI is that drum corps no longer exists in a vacuum. The same designers design drum corps who design marching band, who design winter guard and percussion... What seems like during the summer is suddenly a "thing" has generally been gaining steam for a bit, just through different circuits.

Mike

• Like 3

. And then there was the Circus show done by The Cavaliers who had jugglers, gymnasts, and everything but bearded ladies.

Of course, the Cavaliers did not have " bearded ladies " in their show......... silly, you.

( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

It seemed sudden to me as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with Crown in 2014. I think Crown 2014 was more of a natural progression from Crown 2013.

I'm not suggesting that BAC and Xmen, among others, were inspired by Colts last year, but I feel the singing this year is more akin to the Colts last year (i.e., female soloist).

correct. I noticed an uptick of live singing in the fall over 2/3 band circuits, so naturally it carried over to drum corps.

Does anybody know where on the sheets evaluation of the singing gets put? GE, Front Ensemble (perc), or brass? Maybe just the music captions?

ensemble, Ge music

and man if he doesn't land it.......

Some new " trends " in Drum Corps work long term and become staples of the activity. Others become faddish.. they rapidly disappear after a brief experimentation. long timers here remember when somebody thought it was a cool, new idea to move the stationary percussion timpanies and strap them to a percussionist so he could lug it around the football field, while simultaneously playing the dam thing. It was hernia inducing for the timpanist. Talk about " singing ". After a DCI summer of lugging what looked like the kitchen sink around his waist all summer, by the end of the summer, the poor guy went from a low baritone singer to a high pitched soprano singer..

Edited by BRASSO

Agreed.

One of the better uses is BAC's RV Williams' piece. But I am not sure which language she is singing. It's not Irish Gaelic and not easily identifiable as Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Manx, Breton, or Galecian.

Williams was English, I think.

The soloist for BAC is singing some type of gaelic. That's what my son told me.

I don't think your explanation fits the facts. What Boston and Troopers are doing this year (to cite the two instances I've seen of the current crop) has never "worked" for anyone. The highest-scoring previous show with something like BAC and Troop's emphasis was probably Cadets' sixth-place placing show in 2006. Crown's preshow "Space Oddity" last year feels totally different (to me) than what these two corps are doing.

I liked Cadet's singer in 2006. I felt a badly for her when they cut History Repeating from the opening as it meant that she was only singing during the ballad.

I know she did a few other things (Twilight Zone intro, Cast of Characters Intro) but aside from that she sang in the ballad.

I'm glad I still have my San Antonio APD of the Cadets show before they changed the opening.