Injuries midseason and how corps deal with them

Depends what one means by "low risk". In addition to a ruptured disc in my back, I ended up having knee surgery due to torn meniscus.

Also, in high school band I was knocked out by a flag pole, which was thrown by a girl who I later took to the prom, and she threw up on me after taking off with another guy who she had a crush on and drinking a half bottle of rum. He later came out of the closet and is now a film maker in Hollywood, but I think I'm drifting here.

Anywho, I wouldn't describe marching as low risk.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 1

1) I know someone ageing out at bloo this summer that is an alternate. They are having a great season but if it was me I'd want to be on the field.

2) I have some very ####ed up knees and during my ageout they didn't think that I would make it and brought in an alternate (current alternate took someone's spot already) it actually made me feel like crap and probably made me hurt myself more by playing through pain. Didn't want to not finish my age out.

Depends what one means by "low risk". In addition to a ruptured disc in my back, I ended up having knee surgery due to torn meniscus.

Also, in high school band I was knocked out by a flag pole, which was thrown by a girl who I later took to the prom, and she threw up on me after taking off with another guy who she had a crush on and drinking a half bottle of rum. He later came out of the closet and is now a film maker in Hollywood, but I think I'm drifting here.

Anywho, I wouldn't describe marching as low risk.

Wow Stu, sounds like a soap opera!!

Wow Stu, sounds like a soap opera!!

It was an interesting experience, to be sure. If you've ever seen "Ella, Enchanted", that was made by the guy that instigated it.

Back in the day I attempted to march with a ruptured disc in my back causing nerve damage and muscle atrophy, and I was able to bluff my way onto the field without anyone trying to stop me. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and took myself out. 27 years later I have lingering problems in my back and my right calf is visibly smaller than my left.

I doubt that would happen today, as hopefully someone would intervene to stop a kid from pushing beyond what was medically advisable.

So that explains it!

Finally an answer after all these years. :-p

Seriously, from when Stu and ChrisP both marched 27th to now, there have been tremendous strides in marching technique, training, health evaluations and presence of medical staff and trainers on tour staff.

The physical rehab tables can be seen at many equipment trucks in the lot after a show, and they're not just for the Front Ensemble Moving Companies.

Policies on alternates do vary tremendously from corps to corps. One set lurks in the shadows sticking pins in cupie dolls waiting for someone's turned ankles. Others get reduced tour fees with other responsibilities. Some have chance to wear the uniform, others only the privilege of riding the same buses as members. Nothing seems standard but the desire to belong and the opportunity to perform. The policies are as different as the number of corps, each with their own personalities.

Edited by xandandl

As for risk. It is a lot lower risk of injury than football, basketball or hockey I'd say. All three with varying levels of contact... but a lot of risk of serious injury, including concussions.

The percentage of MMs who get a concussion from stray guard equipment or horns in wrong places or whatever else can happen on the field I would bet is a lot lower than the risk of concussion from the three sports listed above. Now risk for lower body injuries might be a little more comparable... but I would compare injuries in drum corps closer to injuries a runner would get. Maybe a little more risk than a runner with the often awkward things we ask our bodies to do while marching and dancing on a football field.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife