A Pseudo-intellectual on the K-Pop break

It's a fun part of the show and now people are attempting to intellectualize it.

I agree. I absolutely love that section. Has a GREAT groove because of the drum set player and the brass is playing their BUTTS off towards the end of the section. One of the highlights of the show for me.

• Like 1

My impression of the whole show is that they perhaps just wanted to have a bit of fun this year after last year's record-breaking season. I mean, they don't really have a whole lot they need to prove at this point, and given they knew they would have a reloading of younger members after a large age-out class, why not ramp down the intensity a bit? A fairy tale show is not the type of theme they have been doing in recent times, and that it is still slugging it out at the very top of the competitive order is a testament to the talent and depth of the organization.

As with the recent piece on The Doctors, my sense is they always have one eye on the big picture and including this K-Pop bit has the potential to appeal to a whole different demographic. Various show reviews have mentioned kids in the audience going crazy when they heard it and GOT7 themselves noticed it and re-posted a Devils' rehearsal video, creating a mainstream news item. The views then skyrocketed and most of the people commenting had never, ever heard of drum corps before and were full of compliments about what they just saw. Pretty shrewd from a PR standpoint.

In the backstage designer interviews, at least one mentioned that the song makes him giggle every time he hears it. Whether or not it is High Art (or whether they even intend it to be), is a matter of opinion, but it does make me giggle too, because it is just so unexpected.

• Like 1

Various show reviews have mentioned kids in the audience going crazy when they heard it and GOT7 themselves noticed it and re-posted a Devils' rehearsal video, creating a mainstream news item. The views then skyrocketed and most of the people commenting had never, ever heard of drum corps before and were full of compliments about what they just saw. Pretty shrewd from a PR standpoint.

Are you serious? That's freaking awesome. Good for BD. They've been bringing some good PR for DCI along with Boston, Crown and Madison.

Kpop probably doesn't need the same rights as the boy bands you wanted to reference that are more known. If it becomes a problem just drop some synthetic bass

Even better than that, have the members play their horns and percussion instruments more and completely drop the use of all electronic samples across the activity.

• Like 1

Are you serious? That's freaking awesome. Good for BD. They've been bringing some good PR for DCI along with Boston, Crown and Madison.

I think this is the news item. Maybe not "mainstream," but not someplace you would expect to find a drum corps video either. http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/216798/20150704/got7-i-like-you-blue-devils-drum-bugle-corps.htm

• Like 1