Finally.....no one can cry SLOTTING!

here's the counter to that:

what is PC doing to keep that kid there? yes kids move up all the time. is that the top dogs faults? No!! those corps should be doing everything they can to retain those kids! Provide a great environment, organized and taking care of the kids, as well as the staff growing and improving with what they give the kids!

Some of these corps have allowed themselves to become feeders....some seem ok with it. Some cry behind the scenes. To those that cry, and to the fans that moan for them...what is that corps doing to make it better?

look back 15 years, and Bluecoats were out of finals, fighting to get back in. Since then, they have steadily improved, both on the field and off the field, to make themselves a true destination. They didn't go out and blow the budget hiring big names....many of their staff have YEARS in the program.

Crown 2002 was painful to watch, came in what 15th or 16th? Look at the rise there! yet many of the same faces leading them back into finals in 2003 are still there, and finally broke that lock on corps who haven't won finally winning! They improved the organization to a level that kids want to be there, and we've seen it grow!

here's two of the evil 7, that over the last 15 years have slowly but surely worked themselves into where they are. it wasn't by collusion or blowing obscene amounts of money. They got their houses in order, on and off the field. What's to say PC or anyone else can't do the same?

There's plenty of talent that doesn't march at all. Sure, they could go to Open Class corps....and IMO, DCI and the OC corps themselves do not do enough to make themselves viable destinations. That's a different discussion. But isn't easier to keep that talent you developed, add more to it, and watch the miracles happen?

very true.

Before blame is assigned one has to look at their own house for what they may be doing to contribute to the issue. It happens often because it's easier to blame the have's.

I have done many many auditions( not that anyone here asks for any 1st hand knowledge..lol. )and 1st thing I ask is why are they here and not staying wherever. Often the same answers but I do tell kids the only way a corps gets better is if everyone stays and buys into the program. unfortunately it's not the old days where kids had many years to put into a program and of course a different world wanting what they want now.

I know you've been through this process

Edited by GUARDLING

very true.

Before blame is assigned one has to look at their own house for what they may be doing to contribute to the issue. It happens often because it's easier to blame the have's.

I have done many many auditions ad 1st thing I ask is why are they here and not staying wherever. Often the same answers but I do tell kids the only way a corps gets better is if everyone stays and buys into the program. unfortunately it's not the old days where kids had many years to put into a program and of course a different world wanting what they want now.

yes, but then Brasso's theories of how DCI should be like the NCAA....the most screwed up organization not called Congress.....are shot to hell.

• Like 1

yes, but then Brasso's theories of how DCI should be like the NCAA....the most screwed up organization not called Congress.....are shot to hell.

dont get me started....DUDE!

I know you have been there.....with the audition process .

Edited by GUARDLING

One aspect of BD’s rise to the top was the membership. It was very much local, primarily Mt. Diablo H.S. The kids ate together at lunch during school and recruited other kids to join. Remember early days of drum corps when being a musician was not required?

They were able to coalesce into their own identity and had no desire/need to go elsewhere such as Stockton or Santa Clara, who were the big northern California corps at that time.

The staff also skillfully guided them to marked improvement each year, building momentum in both design and performance. They first toured the northwest in 1972, went to their first Marion US Open and DCI in 1973 placing 14th, and 24th respectively. They placed 9thin 1974 and 3rd in 1975.

What you had were students that were 16 years old in 1972, 17 years old in ’73, 18 in ’74, 19 in 75.

Well I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday yet we expect a judge to remember lots of performances over a few hours and rank them and maintain a reasonable numbers management? So as far as slotting, if in doubt, BD would be on top and no one would question it. Not saying they don't or haven't earned it, but if I were judging guard and had to go pee and missed BD, I could put that guard in first and who would question it?

Who I ask you?

Edited by Tobias

Can only imagine Jeff how you must feel about the WH.

it's between Congress and the NCAA

Well I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday yet we expect a judge to remember lots of performances over a few hours and rank them and maintain a reasonable numbers management? So as far as slotting, if in doubt, BD would be on top and no one would question it. Not saying they don't or haven't earned it, but if I were judging guard and had to go pee and missed BD, I could put that guard in first and who would question it?

Who I ask you?

well, as a judge, you take notes, and if need be, you can adjust scores if you need to

• Like 1

Slotting exists when fans of a certain corps don't like where their favorite is placing, and this has been the case for years.

Case in point: Different corps have been in different positions in the top 5 this year. Anyone notice that there has been an outcry by certain fans whenever "their" corps slipped in the rankings? They usually take this form - "they were in 1st before, why aren't they now?!?!? - how about some CONSISTENCY in judging!!!!!" In other words, their corps should be SLOTTED in the higher position, regardless of performance - or improvement of corps around their darlings.

This isn't true of a ton of fans, but look at the threads from the major regionals this year and you'll see plenty of those types of posts in there.

JMO.

Edited by cajal
  • Like 1

Slotting exists when fans of a certain corps don't like where their favorite is placing, and this has been the case for years.

Case in point: Different corps have been in different positions in the top 5 this year. Anyone notice that there has been an outcry by certain fans whenever "their" corps slipped in the rankings? They usually take this form - "they were in 1st before, why aren't they now?!?!? - how about some CONSISTENCY in judging!!!!!" In other words, their corps should be SLOTTED in the higher position, regardless of performance - or improvement of corps around their darlings.

This isn't true of a ton of fans, but look at the threads from the major regionals this year and you'll see plenty of those types of posts in there.

JMO.

oh hell, go on Facebook LOL

• Like 1