Allentown Again!

We pretty much switcg hotels every year, or 2 at the most. Always stay in the Fogelsville/Breinigsville (sp) area. Hotels tend to be cheaper there and it is only a 10-15 minute drive to the stadium. It seems the hotels we stay in, tend to raise their prices every year or two, by up to 50%!!!! Always use to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, until the prices went from $95 a night up to $149 a night, in 1 year! The Homewood Suites on Rt. 100 is a VERY nice, newer hotel, and is a reasonable rate. Added bonus, there is a Yucco's, a Dunkin Donuts, the Starlite Diner, a Cracker Barrel, and a few other restaurants on the same road as the hotel.

Hilton garden Inn as of April was asking $190.

I said no thanks

• Like 1

This too is one of my favorite venues. I like DC outdoors. But for me it comes with a cost that makes it hard to stomach. I do understand the nostalgia and tradition but would like to see a little more share the wealth when it comes to late season shows. West coast DC lovers don't get the end of season experience. Allentown crowds are kind of spoiled.

we are yes. and will be until DCI makes a change in that.

Weather for Friday looks great! Sunny highs in the low 90's. No oppressive dewpoints.

Saturday now has a 20% chance of showers and t storms after 2pm as a shortwave has shown in the models. NW flow tends to do that.

Very slim chance. Nothing to worry about at this time. If it does happen, it would be a quick shot of rain, not show cancelling.

Sounds pretty good!

But, while you have us in mind, please consider the possibility of a 'nearby lightning/clear the stadium' interruption. Questions:

1. Are expected conditions such that the chance of lightning is increased?

2. Is it possible the Santa Clara Vanguard show design could actually ATTRACT lightning to the immediate area? :wow:

Thanks again!

I stay in Quakertown when I go to Allrntown. The Quakertown Family Restaurant is great for breakfast. Not worth the drive if you're staying in Allentown itself but better than Hamilton Family Restaurant, though you overhear far less drum corps talk in Quakertown.

I have gone on drives on Saturday. Hershey Park is about an hour and fifteen minutes, Amish a Country is closely. Be careful of the horse and buggies.

Some people who bring the kids suggest Dromey Park (not sure of spelling).

Yocco's is a must for me. The food's rather greasy but for one meal it's fun.

Some people who bring the kids suggest Dromey Park (not sure of spelling).

Dorney Park and Wild Water Kingdom

https://www.dorneypark.com/
Edited by cf144

Having participated and marched Drum Corps (1965-1972) and following the activity for the past 50 years, I am well aware of the historical significance of Allentown as a "Drum Corps Mecca" (my personal choice is Camp Randall in Madison, matter of fact 1/5 of my ashes are to be spread on the Camp Randall field, but, please do not share this with anyone, as you may have guessed, I consider Camp Randall "Drum Corps heaven!" ( - :

Ok, Back on Topic.

I had heard and was under the impression that significant improvements were made to the stadium in time for last year shows. I heard such things as, an upper deck was added, seating capacity increased. However based on what I am reading on this thread I am under the current impression that my information regarding these improvements is based on either false or wildly exaggerated information. I am also aware (correct me here also) that the stadium has no back side, and that due to that fact a good deal of sound volume litterally sucked out of the stadium and doesn't reach the stands. Could someone please set me straight regarding these topics.. Perhaps post a photo or two of the facilities including the Grand Stands. What exactly is the seating capacity of the stands....and surrounding grassy areas.

Sadly in all my years of Drum Corps travels and shows I have yet to make it to Allentown....or even to Indy yet. (Please forgive me DCI).

P.S. G O A C A D E M Y ! ! !.