Allentown Again!

My favorite appearance by "Bones" at Allentown. They secured a cherry picker and lifted him above the back wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3mxeh2Q9zk

This will never happen again. DCI won't allow it.

• Like 2

That's the biggest issue I've had with the renovation. The field is a good 10 yds. further from the stands than it used to be. Sitting up high you don't get the volume anymore.. thats a lot of distance for sound to travel.

HEY! You might have just explained why more fans each year remain outside the stadium to get a good face-ripping!

This too is one of my favorite venues. I like DC outdoors. But for me it comes with a cost that makes it hard to stomach. I do understand the nostalgia and tradition but would like to see a little more share the wealth when it comes to late season shows. West coast DC lovers don't get the end of season experience. Allentown crowds are kind of spoiled.

• Like 2

So I'm ashamed to admit it, but even though I've gone to Allentown since I marched in 87 I have no idea what there is "above" the stadium - I've never gone up that way!. I didn't know there was a fairgrounds there - what kind of stuff is there to do up there? I always park below, hit yoccos, watch the show, him ham-fam at intermission, finish show then leave towards Dorney park.. Sounds like there is food and other stuff up by Chew St.?

For frachel . . . .

The Allentown Fairgrounds Farmers Market has LOTS of good food. All kinds of food to eat there, or prepared to go. Next to the Farmers Market on the same parking lot is Ritz Barbeque, a local mainstay. Ritz features unusual Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, like corn pie and lettuce with bacon dressing. It is most famous for its ice cream. Butter Brickle is rich and creamy, sold for generations. Other homemade desserts, too !

This too is one of my favorite venues. I like DC outdoors. But for me it comes with a cost that makes it hard to stomach. I do understand the nostalgia and tradition but would like to see a little more share the wealth when it comes to late season shows. West coast DC lovers don't get the end of season experience. Allentown crowds are kind of spoiled.

And virtually no chance (maybe just an itty bitty chance) of rain issues anywhere out west in late July/early August. I agree. Bring late season drum corps out west!!!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

My favorite appearance by "Bones" at Allentown. They secured a cherry picker and lifted him above the back wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3mxeh2Q9zk

This will never happen again. DCI won't allow it.

For further clarification, it is my understanding that,DCI has allowed Corps to utilize cherry pickers on the field for competition purposes if they choose, but not immediately off the field for motivation purposes.

And virtually little chance of rain issues anywhere out west in late July/early August. I agree. Bring late season drum corps out west!!!

Largely true, we don't even know what water is anymore out here in CA. I remember in '07 we had thunderstorms following us all the way from MN to NM. Even had hail prior to the NM show. That being said, yes...bring it west in 2019.

I agree and I love the nostalgia of Allentown but I do think this is an activity that needs to share the wealth to grow it. There's a reason east coast corps get a big applause when they come west, we hardly see them.

Allentown was still used in '07, it was just an earlier show, though I seem to remember some ppl grumbling about it being early in the season.

Allentown can be iffy on the weather this time of year... but if its hot and humid, Allentown's stadium there has many open and great shaded areas for Corps to do sectional run throughs. I always liked that about the show site. The crowds there are very enthusiastic and very appreciative if they think your show is entertaining for them too.

Edited by BRASSO

Fred, that is great news about the downtown area making a comeback!!!!