GE Judging in Flux

So just add a few compulsory items in every corps show that can be judged objectively...not sure exactly what though...but I'm sure that will never fly...it would crash before it even rolled down the runway for takeoff...

It seems like every corps is required by the judges to do the park-and-play-fast-chromatic-runs-in-the-brass compulsory, the strike-a-tough-pose-as-you-finish-your-drum-solo compulsory, the squish-a-bug-during-what-would-otherwise-be-a-dignified-hold compulsory. I'm not sure how these things get chosen, but it's clear that nearly every corps from top to bottom feels they have to include them. The audience usually yawns, because we've literally seen it hundreds of times before.

It's not clear that actual compulsory elements would be any more awkward for the audience or for designers.

• Like 2

Skating uses compulsories (not so much any more), short program, and free (long) program. So guess which one is the only one watched on TV?

Diving has a degree of difficulty factor multiplied by the execution score (plus the all-important splash-less entry)

Synchronized swim should do the whole thing under water.....

Gymnastics: everyone gets 9.9 unless you have a perfect dismount.....

Let's keep the creative juices in our sport..... look at all the changes in the last week !!!!!!!

And keep an eye on the Rumanian judge !

It's kind of like a football team that has put more points on the scoreboard but because they ran the ball for the touchdowns and didn't complete a single flashy overhead pass--they lose the competition to the leaping and dancing receivers...

It's kind of like a football team that has put more points on the scoreboard but because they ran the ball for the touchdowns and didn't complete a single flashy overhead pass--they lose the competition to the leaping and dancing receivers...

Let's leave the dumb sports analogies out of this. Drum corps is nothing like a sport.

I think they should divide GE music and GE visual again. You can tell from the panels which is which, sort of - but going back to that separation might cause less confusion.

However, I would opine that there may be a problem with the sheets when you have a situation where the corps that is on top in brass, percussion and music is not catching even a sniff as "the show of the day."

Except that these changed judging sheets were written with input from the Corps Directors, Staffers to the DCI judging community itself. If a couple of these Corps Directors, Staffers are not pleased now, well, whose fault is that ?

Sure, it seems out of wack to many that a Drum & Bugle Corps that wins both Drums & Bugles captions finds itself in 4th place. But I have been saying on here for quite some time now that Guard and the Visual are where the most points are to be had on the new scoring sheets. It is the Guard and the Visual that primarily drives home these Show Design themes. The frustration some are apparently feeling today is perhaps they had not arrived until today to this understanding.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1