Carolina Crown 2016

As a drummer I spend my time watching drummer videos, but this one is absolutely captivating. I'm really very shocked to see what the brass line goes through during a show.

I have a question: Is there any estimation of how much of a show a horn player actually plays? Lot's of breath breaks, not ever sustain...drummers don't have that luxury of having a few more members backing her up when she takes a breath. This was a fascinating view of what a brass player goes through during a show. I'd really like to know how much each member can physically play between breaths.

Drummers can, at least, breath during the whole show, although there's no room to drop out and catch your breath.

Fascinating. I'm really just blown away.

Next time you're watching a corps rehearse, pay attention to the change in size of the chest area of some of the guys who are shirtless. Some of skinnier kids are little disturbing by the end of the season :-) My guess is the hornline averages around 7-8 mins playing during an 11 minute program. Probably changes a lot corp to corps. As for how long that breath lasts, its entirely up to the volume level at which they're playing. Watching pov videos like this let's you see how often breaths are exhausted -- players will sneak in and out (staggered breathing ) during those really loud moments multiple times.

That did it. I'm sold on this one.

Every single section of the corps shines bright in that 3 minutes.

Crowd is gonna erupt at that in August.

Wish I felt the same, just watched latest donor video and I'm not sold on it. My first reaction..... Very Strange music.

Hope it grows on me though, I really want them to succed.

Wish I felt the same, just watched latest donor video and I'm not sold on it. My first reaction..... Very Strange music.

I haven't seen them yet but I always felt the weird shows at first are the ones that grow on me as time goes on. I'm sure theyll be fine and Klesch can rewrite as well as anyone if need be.. Edited by Tobias

Kinda agree, but I wasn't sold at this point last season either. We'll see how it plays out!

Kinda agree, but I wasn't sold at this point last season either. We'll see how it plays out!

I'm a bit of the opposite. While I loved the changes they made to their closer by the end of the show (climbing the ladder at the end and the Crown transition was brilliant), a lot of the changes they made to earlier sections such as in Dies Irae kind of soured my taste.

It's still a really good show and the brass was phenomenal as always, but I think Crown often goes overboard with the brass book and end up sounding like they're ticking off boxes on the list of things judges want in their brass book instead of organically including them. I remember one particular section in Crown 2014 was often criticized for sounding like warm up techniques.

Hopefully this year has a more "organic" sounding book :)

I'm a bit of the opposite. While I loved the changes they made to their closer by the end of the show (climbing the ladder at the end and the Crown transition was brilliant), a lot of the changes they made to earlier sections such as in Dies Irae kind of soured my taste.

It's still a really good show and the brass was phenomenal as always, but I think Crown often goes overboard with the brass book and end up sounding like they're ticking off boxes on the list of things judges want in their brass book instead of organically including them. I remember one particular section in Crown 2014 was often criticized for sounding like warm up techniques.

Hopefully this year has a more "organic" sounding book :)

• Like 2

As much of a homer as I am, I can honestly say I've never been more excited about the entire music book as I am for this year's Crown show. I've had the pleasure to enjoy this in person. They play a ton and the music truly is relentless. It's absolutely incredible.

• Like 1