Carolina Crown 2016

I have no idea to whom you're replying but minimizing one corps show theme to elevate another's isn't really making an effective argument for why you like Crown better than Cadets.

Not trying to slight their theme. I love the Cadets show this year. I was replying to lumbargleeful who said that it's surprising Crown does as well as they do with subpar programming because in his opinion it's "bando as hell" and doesn't give them a "vehicle to succeed" even though they're in the running every year and are consistently a crowd favorite. I could have compared it to any theme

It did come off as negative though so I apologize

Edited by JoshClements403
  • Like 3

Not trying to slight their theme. I love the Cadets show this year. I was replying to lumbargleeful who said that it's surprising Crown does as well as they do with subpar programming because in his opinion it's "bando as hell" and doesn't give them a "vehicle to succeed" even though they're in the running every year and are consistently a crowd favorite. I could have compared it to any theme

That hornline and that guard put you in the running no matter what. I'd give them my money to hear them play just about anything. It doesn't hurt that the design AND education staff in those two captions are the best (if not close) in the entire activity.

Any show that needs a 20 minute explanation/narrative prior to seeing it is not appealing to me. I'm sorry BD, but you lost me about 10 years ago. As much as I hate to say this, but my wife and I tend to leave drum corps shows prior to BD taking the field so we can beat the traffic. Neither of us enjoy the programs as of late. But to each his own.

Me.

I just think the programming is the equivalent of a white girl at starbucks wearing uggs. It feeds this beast that creates every stereotype about the activity. But, we've shown time and time again that I'm a bit obtuse and a big BD honk when it comes to programming, anyway.

• Like 1

Ahh, that makes more sense.

This:

And I agree, when you tear someone else down to reinforce your point that's a path straight to nowhere. I mean I TOTALLY disagree with the comment too, but it's not worth my time to reply to every outlandish/overly negative comment I see on here.

That hornline and that guard put you in the running no matter what. I'd give them my money to hear them play just about anything. It doesn't hurt that the design AND education staff in those two captions are the best (if not close) in the entire activity.

Well whatever the case, judging from what I've seen from Cadets, Crown and BD so far, I can tell you that by Sunday August 14th, I am pretty much prepared to have laryngitis.

My admittedly hypercritical opinions as I watch the show for the second time:

I like the tone set at the opening of the show. It really sets up the western vibe, with the chains and other ambient noises. I do feel like it could somehow have a sadder tone, or sound forewarning. However, as soon as the hornline plays their first note, it completely makes up for it. That opening brass music sounds exactly how I imagine the prologue to Romeo and Juliet would sound, which fits perfectly for what the show is about. It sounds like the hornline is the narrator and setting the stage for the story that is about to be told. Really wish this moment could be a little bit longer.

Once the battery begins playing, the mood switches and you can immediately tell that you are now being told the story. Great transition in my opinion. Everything leading up to and including the first impact is excellent in my opinion, but its lacking visually. I believe this is the part where the first murder occurs (as signaled by the bell sound afterward).

I'm not entirely familiar the source music, so I won't call it by name, but the next movement is a bit too chaotic. Its clearly a very difficult passage, which I appreciate, but I think it changes too much. There is almost no repetition and I feel like nothing lasts long enough. There is no melody to be stuck in your head after you listen to this part. Everything is so abrupt and changes so quickly. It is really not very comfortable to listen to, although I guess that could be the point. Hopefully this is a moment that sees some redesigning.

I believe the next movement is called Roxanne? I really think this section fell flat for me. It feels like something straight out of high school marching band. During the whole percussion feature in the beginning all we get is choreography. It doesn't take much to design some stand still body movement for the hornline. And percussion features are always the PERFECT time to really show of some visual design skills, because you have the majority of the ensemble not playing for such a long time. After the tempo increase, I think everything is much better. The trombone soloist is wonderful, but the actual solo is just okay. I feel like there could be more substance to what she is playing, but they just didn't give her much.

The opening of the ballad was nice. The ballad really is more powerful than beautiful. And we've already seen the corps's ability to play powerfully. I want to see them play beautifully. We saw a small showcase of that ability at the very beginning, but I want to see more. I also wish they had more of a visual impact during this part. Maybe they could drop the sabres out and replace it with a flag feature? I think it would be much more effective.

As for the closer, that hornline feature was crazy. Really cool technical moment. Stunning playing by the hornline the whole way through. And of course this movement will end up changing a lot before finals night.

Overall impressions:

I think the show has a nice concept that needs to be fleshed out more. Aside from the first few minutes, you really cannot tell the story line at all (at least in the videos i've seen). Hopefully this improves throughout the season. I do think the show is really lacking visually. I think with this concept the setting needs to be more obvious in terms of visual elements. I think they need more props, and more meaningful props. The stagecoach is cool, but it really serves no purpose other than setting off the western vibe. I think more could be done to create the real ambience the show needs.

I think BD and Cadets are putting out much more cohesive visual packages currently. I also think their hornlines are currently ahead. There are some bright sounds coming from Crown's hornline and some dirt towards the back end of the show. However, I'm sure everything will be fixed by finals. Currently though I would have my money on one of the other two corps, mostly from a design perspective.

I will end it by saying I have a much better first impression than I had last year! It definitely is an awesome show :laugh:

Edited by BaritoneMarcher

Carolina Crown is like a jet-fueled version of Phantom Regiment past. They are going to play their butts off. That guard is going to be ridiculous. But programmatically, it will be bando as hell and rarely give them the vehicle to succeed compared to the type of membership and music that goes into and comes out of the group.

Really popcorn, marching band, troopers, type stuff. Won't win.

2AYMpZv.png

• Like 2