Carolina Crown 2016

well except a lot of lines just dont do it because they're anxious to display the "fun" stuff.

I personally am a lover of dissonance and overall atonality. Schönberg all day. That's a big reason I like BK's show so much this year, it's EVERYWHERE. It needs to be polished definitely though. Cavies are doing it a bit this year too.

When you're a standup, you never know what jokes will hit until you've done them 10 times. You hesitate, waiting for a reaction and sometimes there is none. You tweak the joke and try again next time. It's an iterative process. Same with musicals. Disney does version after version of their stage adaptations, until they get it right, then they open.

When Crown's revenge killing garnered no audience reaction after about 10 performances, you'd think they'd change it. I bet Crown thought the entire crowd would stand up and cheer, but they just don't. There's no resonance built up in the character who's doing the revenge killing. Plus it's really violent and creepy. The audience is looking for emotional resonance, and presently there just is none. (Part of it's because the kid never witnesses the crime. The kid should be hiding in the weeds watching when it happens.) It's a staging and directoral issue (it has nothing to do with these incredible Broadway-quality performers).

1) For the revenge confrontation, the kid should approach the stage coach with intrepidation. The whole world should stop and go into slow motion as he approaches. Build up the tension. The entire corps holds its breath and watches. What is he going to do? Kill the perpetrator?

2) The kid needs to bring the dancing girl with him to the revenge meeting. This ties the girl into the story and makes her a strong woman with an idea, not just some extraneous floozy in a midpoint strip show. She can distract the perp while the kid disarms him and ties him up.

3) Change the revenge killing to a disarmament. The couple rides off to town, the perp is bound by a rope and follows behind the wagon. A citizen's arrest Their conscience is intact.

Otherwise, it's just a story of ### for tat violence with no originality, and no present day resonance in a time that is ripe for insight on the subject of violence.

Edited by Channel3

When you're a standup, you never know what jokes will hit until you've done them 10 times. You hesitate, waiting for a reaction and sometimes there is none. You tweak the joke and try again next time. It's an iterative process. Same with musicals. Disney does version after version of their stage adaptations, until they get it right, then they open.

When Crown's revenge killing garnered no audience reaction after about 10 performances, you'd think they'd change it. I bet Crown thought the entire crowd would stand up and cheer, but they just don't. There's no resonance built up in the character who's doing the revenge killing. Plus it's really violent and creepy. The audience is looking for emotional resonance, and presently there just is none. (Part of it's because the kid never witnesses the crime. The kid should be hiding in the weeds watching when it happens.) It's a staging and directoral issue (it has nothing to do with these incredible Broadway-quality performers).

1) For the revenge confrontation, the kid should approach the stage coach with intrepidation. The whole world should stop and go into slow motion as he approaches. Build up the tension. The entire corps holds its breath and watches. What is he going to do? Kill the perpetrator?

2) The kid needs to bring the dancing girl with him to the revenge meeting. This ties the girl into the story and makes her a strong woman with an idea, not just some extraneous floozy in a midpoint strip show. She can distract the perp while the kid disarms him and ties him up.

3) Change the revenge killing to a disarmament. The couple rides off to town, the perp is bound by a rope and follows behind the wagon. A citizen's arrest Their conscience is intact.

Otherwise, it's just a story of ### for tat violence with no originality, and no present day resonance in a time that is ripe for insight on the subject of violence.

It's a drum corps show.

• Like 2

It's a drum corps show.

Then maybe a show like this shouldn't be attempted in the drum corps medium.

Despite what I said in my previous comment, I do love the show and am interested to see where it goes!

• Like 1

I'm sure Crown's design team knows exactly what they are doing. And just like a lot of people have said, yeah maybe the crowd doesn't reaction the way Crown wants them too. Can wait to see it this Saturday.

• Like 1