Inconsistent guard judging

Boston guard should of been in the top three. They have been underscored for the past 5 years. But what DCI dose is give the top 5 guard placement to those people in that block.. What ever.

That's not true. Last year Blue Stars guard was 4th whilst the corps was 9th

• Like 2

If we learned anything this season from looking at the recaps throughout the season, it was that judges sometimes would completely disagree with one another in their evaluations in which there were 2 judges in the subcaption. Despite utilizing the very same established judging criteria, and watching the very same performances, they came up with entirely different scores and placements in the same show in their captions with their judging colleague. 2 Judges, same caption... different evaluations.

Fans sometimes disagree on what they observe. DCI Judges sometimes do too. What a revelation, huh ? ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

If there was one caption that seemed to have judges all over the lot this year, it was scores, placements on Guard.

One can get an advanced degree in Music, or in Percussion. Where can we go to get a College Degree, or a Masters Degree in................ Guard ? I know, its a silly question. But I think most people get my point. The caption of Guard is judged by judges that might have never marched in " Guard ", ie ever twirled a flag, or tossed a rifle, or danced, or utilized a sabre. ( as a matter of fact , we do have Guard judges like this... haha!) Most Guard judges in DCI however have their own training, experiences, that they bring to the fore in their evaluations. If they like dance but you do lots of good equipment work in your show with your Guard, you might be SOOL. And the reverse of this is of course the case as well.

There is no way a group can move from 13th to 6th overnight if the judging system is applied correctly.

Why not? It seems perfectly possible, if unusual, for eights corps' guards, i.e., those ranked on a given night from 6th to 13th, to be so very close in quality that very rapid movement within that group is possible resulting in a completely upended order on the next night.

That said, it is worth quoting again from Michael Boo's Finals "Recap Roundup" comments about Phantom from DCI's website:

"The corps’ biggest improvement came in Color Guard, improving an astounding seven spots from 13th place in Semis and jumping from a score of 16.70 to 18.40. Such a differential in caption scores from one day to the next—at the very end of the season—is most intriguing and rare."

Because while a movement of multiple places doesn't seem so unreasonable, a one-day movement within one caption of 1.7 pts.does seem astounding. Unless the judge in question decided to give herself plenty of room within that tight group of multiple guards.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Do they even release guard tapes like they do percussion tapes? I've never heard it.

DCI doesn't officially release tapes ever.

Tapes make it online via staff members of the organization.

Guard tapes get passed around but aren't typically uploaded.

Perc guys apparently can't keeps tapes to themselves and must share with the world :-)

Edited by corpsband

Wait Phantom's Color Guard went from to 13th in Semis with George Oliviero judging, to 6th in Finals with Marie Czapinski judging??

I thought Marie has been dumping Phantom every chance she gets because she bears a 30-year-old grudge against them, long after everybody left. I'm pretty sure I've read that on DCP many times, so it must be true.

Of course judges should call the show they're judging, not base their number on the other shows earlier that season. I don't know that the same people who say that now complain that the results are inconsistent from show-to-show, which of course is how it is in real life when you're dealing with artistic performance by young people. Some nights are up and some are down. Some judges like you more than others. That's life. The people who do complain expect a consistency that just isn't real. OR if they are the same people, wanting it both ways, they're only mad that the corps they like best didn't finish where they expected.

• Like 4

DCI doesn't officially release tapes ever.

In the early 2000s, DCI included some judges' audio commentary on the DVDs.