Spirit of Atlanta

As long as they are solid as an organization and have fun this year, I Think that will be a successful season.

I was getting some BAD juju the last few years. Glad it sounds like they have a good thing in place.

Saw the video. Fun, solid show. Not sure it takes them anywhere competitively, but it's definitely Spirit.

Best of luck this ear, looking forward to seeing the show on the cast next Tuesday.

• Like 2

If SoA was a car, you gotta deal with all the mechanics first, all the stuff you don't see, before painting it and doing a wax job...the mechanics are there, the wash and wax is coming.

• Like 1

Saw their last uniformed run though before leaving on tour last night. As a parent, I am thrilled with what Spirit is doing and the way my son (and of course the other members) are being treated. They are eating well, getting great instruction, being taken care of medically if needed, lines of communication from the corps to the parents are always open and honest, etc. All the things a parent would consider important in an organization.

When watching the show last night the thing that blew me away was the thought that a month ago they had maybe half their music and zero drill. What these kids and that staff have done in one month, to me, is mind blowing. The show is complete, fun, and entertaining with a big dark rich brass sound and an impressively clean drum line. It was pretty soggy on the field so the guard was not in uniform but I got to see them do a run of their show in uniform in the gym afterward. The kids are chomping at the bit to get on the road and show people what they have been up to. I am going to travel over to South Carolina for the Lexington show Friday and can't wait to see how they are received.

One very happy and proud dad here. Also, as a staff alum and married to a 2 year alum and guard staff alum, I am thrilled to see them in the position they are in. Competitive placement really isn't on their radar at this point at all I don't think, nor should it be. Proving to themselves and the drum corps community that they can field a healthy, thriving, viable product is where their focus is and they are succeeding in spades.

Dan

• Like 5

Saw their last uniformed run though before leaving on tour last night. As a parent, I am thrilled with what Spirit is doing and the way my son (and of course the other members) are being treated. They are eating well, getting great instruction, being taken care of medically if needed, lines of communication from the corps to the parents are always open and honest, etc. All the things a parent would consider important in an organization.

When watching the show last night the thing that blew me away was the thought that a month ago they had maybe half their music and zero drill. What these kids and that staff have done in one month, to me, is mind blowing. The show is complete, fun, and entertaining with a big dark rich brass sound and an impressively clean drum line. It was pretty soggy on the field so the guard was not in uniform but I got to see them do a run of their show in uniform in the gym afterward. The kids are chomping at the bit to get on the road and show people what they have been up to. I am going to travel over to South Carolina for the Lexington show Friday and can't wait to see how they are received.

One very happy and proud dad here. Also, as a staff alum and married to a 2 year alum and guard staff alum, I am thrilled to see them in the position they are in. Competitive placement really isn't on their radar at this point at all I don't think, nor should it be. Proving to themselves and the drum corps community that they can field a healthy, thriving, viable product is where their focus is and they are succeeding in spades.

Dan

It's great they are making stability strives, but I wish they had instilled a competitive fire under the corps. It's almost as if they are disclaiming before hand or aplogizinng for a poor competitive or less than well received showing. They are my local corps and I am a fan, so I really want them to do well. I understand it is more about the kids, the staff, the alumni, and the organization as a whole. It has nothing to do with me. I'm just a fan who selfishly wants to be entertained. I am looking forward to seeing them in 'Bama on July 30th.

It's great they are making stability strives, but I wish they had instilled a competitive fire under the corps. It's almost as if they are disclaiming before hand or aplogizinng for a poor competitive or less than well received showing. They are my local corps and I am a fan, so I really want them to do well. I understand it is more about the kids, the staff, the alumni, and the organization as a whole. It has nothing to do with me. I'm just a fan who selfishly wants to be entertained. I am looking forward to seeing them in 'Bama on July 30th.

I never said they aren't putting a competitive fire under the corps. I think you will most definitely be entertained. Nobody is apologizing for anything. They don't have anything to apologize for. A corps doesn't simply go from the precipice of folding into finals in one season. They are doing all the right things. Be patient, enjoy their show, and let's see where the competitive chips fall.

Dan

• Like 1

I can't wait to see what Spirit has to bring this year! I love the programming selections, and being an anniversary year, I'm sure pride is high, both from within the membership, as well as the alumni and those close to the organization. I am glad that they are making the wise decisions to focus on organizational stability to recover from the poor management of the past decade or so, as well.

Though we can't all just assume that everything is in the clear for Spirit! They are a corps that will still need lots of love and support from us the fans. Regardless of what you think of their show when you see it, still seriously consider making purchases at their souvie booth and donations to the corps. A $40 for 40 years campaign is going on, I believe. Every little bit counts!

I never said they aren't putting a competitive fire under the corps. I think you will most definitely be entertained. Nobody is apologizing for anything. They don't have anything to apologize for. A corps doesn't simply go from the precipice of folding into finals in one season. They are doing all the right things. Be patient, enjoy their show, and let's see where the competitive chips fall.

Dan

You are right. Very sorry for sounding so callous.

I truly hope that all the talk about getting the financial ship righted and solid before spending money they don't have kills the corps forever. They have made two comebacks since their start. A third will be tough. As those of us who have been in the activity a while know, two things kill a drum corps: money problems and alumni. Seems SOA had both issues, albeit not all of their alumni.

A few things about the show design and a counter argument to those that seem to be greatly downplaying its importance.

Members, teenagers, young 20 somethings are not the same as they were in '75, '85, '95, 2005. Their world is one of a faster pace,

and wider variety of things by which they are entertained. They are more eclectic, worldly, informed, etc.

With their design choice being late 1980s early 90s, will the members look back after the season is over, or even now and know

they could have placed higher, maybe 10 spots higher with a modern-day show? There are many designers out their that have

those skills, and not all the big name people either. I think they have to have a good tour experience and a good performance experience doing a show that allows them to be fairly compared to their peers. This show is not that. I am not sure why.

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 1

I truly hope that all the talk about getting the financial ship righted and solid before spending money they don't have kills the corps forever. They have made to comebacks since their start. A third will be tough. As those of us who have been in the activity a while know, two things kill a drum corps: money problems and alumni. Seems SOA had both issues, albeit not all of their alumni.

A few things about the show design and a counter argument to those that seem to be greatly downplaying its importance.

Members, teenagers, young 20 somethings are not the same as they were in '75, '85, '95, 2005. Their world is one of a faster pace,

and wider variety of things by which they are entertained. They are more eclectic, worldly, informed, etc.

With their design choice being late 1980s early 90s, will the members look back after the season is over, or even now and know they could

have placed higher, maybe 10 spots higher with a modern-day show? There are many designers out their that have those skills, and

not all the big name people either. I think they have to have a good tour experience and a good performance experience doing a

show that allows them to be fairly compared to their peers. This show is not that. I am not sure why.

I'm a little confused by your post. This show is not what exactly? Have you seen it? Are you saying that it is a throwback show? I assure you it is not. Just because the title is "Georgia" doesn't mean it's 1980 all over again. Far from it. While there is a tiny bit of Georgia in the show I had to really dig to find it. Whether this show is deemed competitive by the judging community and the fans will not be because it is some sort of blast from the past. That much I assure you.

Dan

• Like 1