Spirit of Atlanta

I saw a comment in another dormant thread that Spirit was battling money problems and fended off bankruptcy a couple of times in the recent past. Does anyone know about their current finances? Are they able to afford the kind of staff that would keep them close to competitive with the top 12 or 14?

I saw a comment in another dormant thread that Spirit was battling money problems and fended off bankruptcy a couple of times in the recent past. Does anyone know about their current finances? Are they able to afford the kind of staff that would keep them close to competitive with the top 12 or 14?

There are a couple of people on here who know far more than I do, but I went to high school with their financial director Kenn Lamson. They could not be in better hands financially. Kenn has a long and distinguished career in financial management, and is currently the head of Vanguard's Non-profit management group. He won't put up with the kind of crap they'd been doing the last couple of years that got them in this mess.

A little OT, but I was listening to 2002 Spirit for the first time in ages. What a well constructed show! I think Holsinger's music naturally lends itself to drum corps, and Spirit did it justice.

Who did the arranging that year? Great work in the ballad and closer especially.

I don't know whether it's been mentioned here or not, but on Spirit's FB page for the last couple of weeks, they've been running the "diary" of the main character (Georgia) in the show, telling a little of her backstory.

What is the squeaking sound heard during the opening trumpet solo? I've heard it all three times I've watched their show on video (Daytona, San Antonio, Atlanta).

What is the squeaking sound heard during the opening trumpet solo? I've heard it all three times I've watched their show on video (Daytona, San Antonio, Atlanta).

I've asked this several times. Still haven't gotten an answer. It sounds like someone peeling out in a car.

The first time, I thought it was the soloist fracking a high note, but no way would the same mistake happen three times, each sounding exactly the same.

I've asked this several times. Still haven't gotten an answer. It sounds like someone peeling out in a car.

I saw them live in Opelika Alabama last Friday night. I had heard the squealing sound also in the videos so I was really paying attention. In that pre show part, there was a pre recording of what sounded like crickets or cicadas on a hot night or day we are used to here in the south. I could be wrong but there was also the sound of a freight train and the wheels on tracks was the sound. Don't know if I'm right, but it is my theory.

It is a background of cityscape sounds to try to set the stage as a more contemporary story. Early in the year they had sounds from the Bayou in the background (crickets and such). They wanted a more urban setting, hence the change.

As to finances, everyone I have talked to that are associated with the corps say they are in a much better place and anxious to move forward in the coming years.

Dan