Bluecoats Drumline Lot Warmup Method

This year the Coats went with Roger Carter on drumset instead of stick clicks or a dr. beat to keep time.
At first I really did not like it and wanted to focus more on what the line was playing but by the end of the season I really dug it.
I was able to feel the groove of the book more and when listening to the full corps I found myself nodding along with the drumset beat in the back of my head.

So the question here is did this new method help more than the clicks or dr. beat? Were they able to get in the groove together easier with this method?

The 99 in Achievement at Semis and Finals this year sure does point to it.

Thoughts???

I think it was great!

It was unique, entertaining, and from discussions with members, very helpful.

• Like 1

I heard one reason they did it was because Dr. Beats are not allowed to be used in the warm-up park during Finals week. They were planning ahead so they didn't have to change the environment for the last 3 days.

Basically this ^

Last year they didn't use a dr beat at finals lot though, just stick clicks. Could have just done that again.

I believe the drumset was for a broader purpose and worked out very well. Will be interested to see if it comes back next year and if any other corps uses one as well.

Last year they didn't use a dr beat at finals lot though, just stick clicks. Could have just done that again.

I believe the drumset was for a broader purpose and worked out very well. Will be interested to see if it comes back next year and if any other corps uses one as well.

No decent DCI drumline warms up to someone clicking sticks all summer. Why would anyone want to do that and not have the accuracy instead of a met? No one wants to change what they've done all season for the last three most important shows of the summer.

Edited by mj3004

Any idea why electronic metronome is not allowed? I've never heard a reason.

A few years back, I was with my family visiting at my sister's house in Clifton, NJ, one block from the park behind Clifton Stadium. It was July 4 and there was a contest and fireworks display. Her house is at the end of a block, the cross street ends with an industrial property and large parking lot, which was used by one of the corps all day long.

It's been at least 10 years since that day, but my distaste for the sound of Dr. Beat banging that pipe against the radiator all afternoon is as strong today as it was then. At a location such as LOS, with corps warming up in parking lots, perhaps the sound leaks into the stadium. Whether or not it does, Dr. Beat does not win you any friends in any location where it is used. I know from The Raiders social media that they are having trouble at their practice site in South Jersey. The neighbors are complaining about the constant noise during the Spring and Summer. I don't know if any of it is from the good doctor, but there ARE people who consider our activity to be just noise anyway.

I've never seen an electronic gadget with a Doctor's Degree, anyway, so at best we should rename the device MISTER beat.

Maybe this doesn't answer the question, but it certainly hints at a possible conclusion......

• Like 1

A few years back, I was with my family visiting at my sister's house in Clifton, NJ, one block from the park behind Clifton Stadium. It was July 4 and there was a contest and fireworks display. Her house is at the end of a block, the cross street ends with an industrial property and large parking lot, which was used by one of the corps all day long.

It's been at least 10 years since that day, but my distaste for the sound of Dr. Beat banging that pipe against the radiator all afternoon is as strong today as it was then. At a location such as LOS, with corps warming up in parking lots, perhaps the sound leaks into the stadium. Whether or not it does, Dr. Beat does not win you any friends in any location where it is used. I know from The Raiders social media that they are having trouble at their practice site in South Jersey. The neighbors are complaining about the constant noise during the Spring and Summer. I don't know if any of it is from the good doctor, but there ARE people who consider our activity to be just noise anyway.

I've never seen an electronic gadget with a Doctor's Degree, anyway, so at best we should rename the device MISTER beat.

Maybe this doesn't answer the question, but it certainly hints at a possible conclusion......

That is not the issue, as they warm-up at Military Park, which is about a mile or so away from the stadium.

That is not the issue, as they warm-up at Military Park, which is about a mile or so away from the stadium.

There are condos/apartments right across the street, plus the 4 hotels and the museum nearby. It's probably to keep it a little less annoying for the people around the park.

Also, It probably doesn't help to have 4 corps using a doctor beat warming up in that small space at the same time.