Return the power to the performers (?)

Didn't the great instructors of the past have just as much to do with show outcome as today?

No. I don't believe so. Today's adult Show Designers.. with the multiplicity of new things allowed to them ( not permitted to the great instructors of earlier times )... coupled with the loss of full judging panels (no drum, brass, guard execution level captioned judges ) for more than half the summer's competitive season now, makes the adult created Show Design far, FAR, more influential in scores and placements now that at any time in DCI's history, imo.

If you can put your bad manners to rest for a minute YOU yourself pointed out the less execution judges on the field. Thats what i was talking about. STOP LOOKING FOR TROUBLE... pathetic. A word i know you are used to DAN!

I'm not " looking for trouble " . Thats " pathetic " a comment ( now we probably know why you were fired from so many gigs and now are here 24-7 yapping incoherently about things nobody had expressed at all on here. )

I'm not " looking for trouble " . Thats " pathetic " a comment ( now we probably know why you were fired from so many gigs and now are here 24-7 yapping incoherently about things nobody had expressed at all on here. )

Never fired once.lol..and if one really knows anything about this small activity those who get fired even a few times dont last long in the activity let alone having longevity for decades..How .Pathetic..and what does that have to do with the thread Dan

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

mfrontz, on 29 Aug 2015 - 5:01 PM, said:snapback.png

Didn't the great instructors of the past have just as much to do with show outcome as today?

The correct answer imo is YES

If one was involved at a high level even BITD they would actually know how much of that was true.

Edited by GUARDLING

mfrontz, on 29 Aug 2015 - 5:01 PM, said:snapback.png

The correct answer imo is YES

If one was involved at a high level even BITD they would actually know how much of that was true.

Wasn't the problem with SCV in '80 that the staff thought they could design a show better than Gail? So he let them run with it and it failed miserably, hence the mid-season re-write.

Wasn't the problem with SCV in '80 that the staff thought they could design a show better than Gail? So he let them run with it and it failed miserably, hence the mid-season re-write.

Well this depends on the corps and WHO is making those decisions. As I said in another post a staff can also drive it to success or the opposite but either way back then or now one can see adults did and always have been part of the outcomes.

A person can choose to believe it or not, just as with today's statements

Edited by GUARDLING

Never fired once.lol..and if one really knows anything about this small activity those who get fired even a few times dont last long in the activity let alone having longevity for decades..How .Pathetic..and what does that have to do with the thread Dan

May I ask why you make a reference to Dan, please? Is that Brasso's name? My ears perk up, that's all.

All the Corps, and their show design staffers,.. in both the pre DCI years, as well as most of the DCI years... were always afforded full judging panels for their summer's competitions. When we moved recently however into the halfazz sized judging panels of a few years, the influence of the Show Design took on a more predominant role in the scores. Without a percussion judge, or a brass judge, or a guard judge, the GE captions took on a bigger role in the scores. While the GE captions ( subset, visual, subset, musical ) do have performance execution as a partial criteria for these GE judges, it is Show Design that is not lost in these shows with halfazz panels. To my knowledge, there has never been a DCI nor non DCI judged show, judged without the GE caption(s), as we routinely find now in DCI without Percussion judges, or Brass judges, or Guard judges. These judges are predominately performance execution judges too. Their role ( until just a few years ago ) was not to look at Show Design at all... just performance execution. But anyone even remotely familiar with the new judging sheets are aware that even when DCI does have Drum, Brass, Guard judges, even THESE judges are encouraged to look more at the Show Design in these predominantly once exclusively performance execution captions. Thus, anyone that tells us that BITD Show Designers had this much influence on the scoring sheets is engaged in revisionist history here. NO, previous DCI Corps staffers were never involved in preparing shows for halfazz sized panels, nor had anywhere close to the impact and influence that the current DCI Show Designers have now on the new, current scoring sheets.

Edited by BRASSO

More and more I see people on DCP saying things like 'The adults have more to do with the outcome than the kids'

I'm probably too simple in thinking this is just summer marching band, but I can't twist my mind enough to understand how any design can be anything without the kids performing it. It just makes no sense to my simple brain that a beautiful design just jumps off the page by itself without the execution, good or bad, of the kids.

• Like 2