2015 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals

Thanks Kevin and Charlie for your wonderful commentary. Charlie's here's hoping you don't have the rental car/airline nightmare going home this year like we had last year man.

• Like 1

Already this is a much better [Hurricanes] performance than yesterday. Horns have a lot more energy.

Yes, exactly!

The voice overs were all done by typing the script into Google and having Google Now read it.

Still think this was a bad idea.

Love this arrangement of "Uninvited", better than Madison's from 2007, in my opinion.

Not one of Madison's better shows, of course, but their opener, using this song, was really cool.

I think every corps is pulling all stops out; I also thinks lots of movement up and down the boards.

Sure seemed that way to me!

CV seems very well schooled. And man, they must have put something in the water tonight!!

I know, right? The judges must have decided the water was Kool-aid.

The bass line is using ErgoSonic bass drums. These allow the line to play the bass with similar technique to the rest of the drum line, creating a different audio and visual experience as a result.

hate the sound of those things

MBI may have the best field entrance in DCA this year

Agreed. Their running start was great.

Uh oh. The lion just escaped and lit the tent on fire!

I would have no idea that this was going on had you not mentioned it in your report from yesterday's show. At Prelims, I had no idea why the ringmaster thought the tent was on fire. Today I noticed the flame-colored flags, but it still seemed rather a heady connection to make. Give us a fire prop like the one they used two years ago!

MBI definitely has the horn trophy so far.

Well, you were right. I certainly didn't have that experience! Today I was on the right 35 and low, so I could hear everyone's amplified sound much more than yesterday. For most corps, this wasn't much of an issue, for MBI, the brass was frequently covered.

I get the feeling somebody didn't like getting pushed down to third last night...

That's how I felt watching their performance! (Though after seeing C2, I felt Cabs would stay at third.) That's not how the judges felt.

Well at least they won't get dropped to fourth.

That certainly seemed . . .

. . . to me.

a great year for DCA. I can't argue any placements. good stuff, judging looked to be wonderfully unpredictable, as you can see looking at both days people judged their sheet and the show of the day. terrific performances up and down the ladder.

Any guess on crowd size?

I NEVER thought I would say this but Cabs got jobbed!

thats it. close this website

• Like 1

Well, I don't know about you, but I am BEAT! That was a lot of drum corps in two days.

I am going to shut it down for the season, but I will be back for 2016. I'll give you a list of the shows I'll be covering after the WGI season is over.

great stuff Gadget!

• Like 1

If they do, this stadium will erupt in total violence and anger.

Sounded like shock rather than anger to me.

Yikes! That sounded like a major tear between the drum line and the pit to start "Dance of the Tumblers".

I didn't hear that; did the judges? I did notice some people slightly out of alignment in their opener (but generally wasn't in a good spot to judge drill).

Though they should be.

You called it, obviously.

They really overdo it with that record scratch sound effect.

I didn't think so. Maybe four times? All in the second half of the show, when they really begin jumping between songs.

The Cabs do not have the visual program that MBI has, despite VOR's weird love of it.

I'm pretty sure VOR has been grumbling about the weakness of Cabs' visual program all season.

I love the backfield company front.

Kinda Felliniesque! Very effective moving away!

I also thought of Blue Devils, but specifically of their 2008 show, Constantly Risking Absurdity, which, to repeat myself, is the funniest show the Velvet Knights never did. Even seeing this move for the second time tonight, I laughed out loud, to the confusion of the people near me.

Here at home, we have some movement in the middle of the pack. Had both Fusion and CV over Kidsgrove. Other than that, things should pretty much follow the prelims. Only moment of suspense should be when they announce third place.

Well, you were half right.

Carolina Gold is now performing their exhibition. I always wonder how much of this performance is motivated as a way to say to the judges "you sure you made the right call?".

Me too. I thought they played at about the same level tonight as yesterday, and especially given the Hurcs' Finals performance, am confident the Prelims judges made the right call in that case. That said, Gold's performance was much better than some other eleventh-place shows that have appeared in Finals (like Sunrisers in 2013).

Question: did Gold's performance yesterday include throwing glitter around at the beginning (to represent snow)? If so, I missed that effect.

With respect to Carolina Gold and any other 11th place finishes, I think it is really dumb to have the 11th place corps get to go on finals. Either have a cut-off or don't. What do you tell 12th place? You can play during intermission? That's like having 13th place play before DCI retreat.

You're right about the principle. But there is a practical matter: DCA needs to fill about 20 minutes while all the scores are checked and rechecked. Personally, I was glad to have another look at Gold's show, but in other years I might not have a strong interest in seeing the eleventh-place corps. A second option, if there's no one like the Marines to fill the time, would be to have two mini corps perform.

I agree, but also feel Kidsgrove may have moved up, too . . . as with DCI, it's easier to say moving up, but very difficult to say who would drop to to vacate the slot. WHAT A YEAR FOR DRUM CORPS! I "guess" I'm calling:

1. Bucs

2. Cabs

3. Cadets 2

4. Kidsgrove

5. Minnesota

and in Class A, same 1-2 as yesterday......

A bold move! Thanks for sharing that prediction, no matter how it turned out. I certainly thought Kidsgrove would end up closer to MBI than they did.

I liked Carolina Gold over the Hurricanes, and I'm sure many others did also.

While I obviously disagree, I'm glad you've spoken out with that opinion. Yesterday I thought it was very close, to be sure. Tonight I can't imagine Hurricanes not having delivered that Finals performance.

Most years the 11th place seems illogical. However I think this year with Kidsgrove the 11th place corp will still be a full member corps since KS cannot be a full DCA participant. I don't know if that means anything these days, but 20 years ago that was a big deal.

As I recall, DCA membership, for whatever that's worth, is conferred upon the corps with the top ten scores in Prelims who have appeared in at least one DCA-sanctioned contest in the regular season. Kidsgrove did appear in one such show. I don't know if they are automatically excluded based on their geographic location, or if they will have to be offered membership and then decline.

Note that sometimes a Class A corps has held one of the top ten Prelims scores. Not this year, however.

How about an Alumni Corps that does a Full Field Show?

Another complaint that people have had about having a competing corps appear in exhibition at the end of Finals, besides the "honorable mention" feeling, is that it's a huge let down to go from a corps of the quality of the Buccaneers to a corps of the quality of Gold. I think those people would feel much the same way about Alumni corps. Or maybe not, given that Bridgemen regularly appear in encore at DCI's Allentown show (and I heard a rumor today that they'll play following next year's . . . well, perhaps it wasn't meant to be shared publicly)l

That would use up about 1/2 hr.

Which is pretty much what DCA needs to do, but in fact, all the alumni corps this morning played shows of less than 20 minutes.

Scores and Awards:

3. 74.280 - Kilties​ (Best Drum Major)

When was the last time Govies didn't win best DM in this class?

Edited by N.E. Brigand