Congrats Cadets2

This is surprising to me...I wasn't following DCA this year but saw Cadets2 at Allentown in June and was not impressed at all...I gave them a bad review actually and I remember much of the guard work was incomplete...looks like they really stepped it up a notch to finish out the season strong...of course I didn't have any other groups to compare them to...so I have no idea how strong the other corps that they competed against were this season either.

Congratulations on your hard work Cadets2! It apparently paid off in huge dividends!

They were a train wreck in Allentown so you weren't off but they apparently had the talent in membership and staff. I was very surprised when I saw them last night. Really started looking like Cadets in marching technique, sound and they nailed it visually and Guard was shockingly strong. Funny because that has been Cadets weak point for a few years.
  • Like 1

I felt being in the Cadet organization with some Cadets jumping in after DCI and the level of accomplishment it was, I would post here. Hope that's OK...

And furthermore, DCI's website included two good news posts on DCA in the past week:

What to Watch: Drum Corps Associates World Championships

Buccaneers cruise to fourth straight DCA World Championship Title

There were definitely some Cadets members who joined up the past couple of weeks.

I understood that C1 presence at camps was a strategy to motivate C2, deepen that Cadet persona, and tutor rather than replace.

DCA has had a "dialogue of many decades" with a number of other corps "filling holes" after DCI championships.

Edited by xandandl

DCA has had a "dialogue of many decades" with a number of other corps "filling holes" after DCI championships.

1985 there was a rebuilding Sr corps that had a pair of Cadet sops filling in (every little bit helped). After Prelims I overheard "Hey Garfield guys... so how does it feel to win DCI and two weeks later not even make DCA Finals...". To be clear this was said in a joking manner as the goal of the rebuilding corps was to improve and survive and this was done. Look on the "Garfield guys" faces was priceless as, not knowing the situation, just took it way too serious

George sent "me" a letter,

cadets2OFFICIAL_logo_1200px.jpg

Congrats to the truly OUTSTANDING performing ensemble - Cadets2 2015

DONATE NOW

Hi X,

Cadets2_guard_redsquare_2015.jpgIn case you do not follow along, in the world of Drum Corps Associates, Youth Education in the Arts presents an ensemble each year called Cadets2.

They look like The Cadets, they march like The Cadets, their teachers are many times Cadets, and they even sound like The Cadets. The mission is the same; the values are the same. They stand at attention during retreat, and they walk in twos to warm-up.

They are Cadets!

Of course, there are some differences. They do not go on tour, rather they are a weekend-only corps. The membership is a bit younger. They do not have the same level of support as The Cadets, nor do they spend as much money or require ALL of the resources of The Cadets National Touring Ensemble.

This weekend at the DCA Championships, this four-year-old drum corps placed second, defeating corps that have been successful in the DCA arena for many, many years.

DCA Finals Results from Rochester, N.Y.

1. Buccaneers - 97.58
2. Cadets2 - 96.33
3. Minnesota Brass - 95.40
4. Caballeros - 94.88
5. Atlanta CV - 93.83
6. Kidsgrove Scouts - 91.90
7. Fusion Core - 89.75
8. White Sabers - 88.33
9. Sunrisers - 85.38
10. Hurricanes - 83.80

Cadets2 started in 2012. After an excellent first two seasons, the corps faltered a bit in 2014, and we decided that if YEA! was going to dedicate the time and financial resources to the corps, we needed to see once and for all if this all-age drum corps idea was something we could make happen.

So, I personally became the director, I brought in people with experience to assist , we recruited like wild people during the off-season, we invested financially to make sure they had all that they needed, and, well, we did all we could to ensure that C2 had the best of all opportunities.

And the corps was filled with 128 members, they worked hard, they ate well, they traveled well, and you can see from the scores that they performed well.

In fact, I was there over many of the weekends including these last four, and this version of the Cadets was simply magnificent. We were a success.

C2Pit2015_keyboard.jpg

So What's Next for Cadets2?

What Cadets2 does not have is a financial base. Few people go to shows, so we do not sell a ton of T-shirts. As a young corps, we do not have a donor base, and, well YEA! invests between $70,000 and $100,000 a year to keep the ensemble going.

Considering how we do all this, this is not a terrible number:

• Our facility bill is $70,000 for high-school rentals
  • Our bus bills are $40,000
  • We spend a good deal to keep the members and staff well-fed

We do not charge the members a high fee to participate, although we do ask more of them than most DCA corps. But unlike other corps, we offer housing, transportation and food.

We take care of our Cadets2 members just as if they were The Cadets! And they are!

So, we are launching a campaign. The Friends of Cadets2 begins now.

Our goal is to get 200 donors and raise $25,000 in September, as we work to launch a true fan club!

I have to say, I admire the Reading Buccaneers and their crazy fans at the Championships. We can do that; ! am sure we can do that.

So, please click here to take a look at the donor form. If you have purchased tickets to see The Cadets, or you are an alumnus or a fan, can you consider a gift to C2?

One crazy expense we have as a part of this effort is the need to purchase 150 hotel rooms for the members in Rochester during DCA Championship Weekend.

Eventually, we would like ALL of those rooms to go to fans, but for now, the corps stayed in the hotel, and the cost was $14,280. OUCH!

So why not give $100 or $250 to this new venture? Cadets2 matters to these kids, and somehow, we need to make sense of what we are doing here. Perhaps C2 is not totally self-supporting, but with your help, I think we can get much much closer.

Take a look at what the kids and their parents think:

"Hi Mr. Hopkins. My daughter, Adrianna Cunning just finished her first season of drum corps with Cadets2. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for providing such a wonderful opportunity for young musicians. From the high level of instruction to the professionalism of the corps, Cadets2 is truly a first-class organization. It stand out against the other groups. I'm thrilled that my daughter was a part of it this year! Thanks again for all that you do. " - Abigail Cunning

"C2 has been THE best experience of my life! I've never had so much fun with so many like-minded people, pushed myself so hard, and have never dared to believe that I could achieve my dreams. I learned how to work so hard, and now know that I can do anything I truly want to do if I give it my all and strive to be the best I can be. Excellence is the new standard, and I will forever know that I have a brotherhood of friends that I marched with who share the same ideals." 2015 Cadets2 Member

"I plan on auditioning for the Cadets next year, and I can say thanks C2, for giving me an experience that has changed my life and that has given me the desire to be great no matter what I'm doing, and that has given me the work ethic and means to be successful! For I now know that no matter what I do, I WILL be successful because I'm going to put in 100%, and I know now that there truly is joy with hard work!" - Robert Browne, 2015 Tuba Section Leader

As you can see, this organization, just like The Cadets, makes a profound impact on young lives each season.

Please join us in this great endeavor at one of the following levels of giving:

$1,000 - Director Level
$500 - Caption Supervisor Level
$250 - Instructor Level
$100 - Drum Major Level
$50 - Section Leader Level
$25 - Member Level

Thank you so much for your support of The Cadets Ensembles in 2015. I hope you will join us as we continue to push the boundaries of what is possible and assist great young people in their journey to become magnificent human beings.

Gratefully,

GeorgeHopkins_Signature.jpg

George Hopkins
Director, The Cadets and Cadets2

Interesting that Hopkins writes that "the corps faltered a bit in 2014", given that they were fifth for three seasons running. If placing fifth a second time in 2013 wasn't faltering, I'm not sure why placing fifth a third time in 2014 was.

George sent "me" a letter ...

. . .

I have to say, I admire the Reading Buccaneers and their crazy fans at the Championships. We can do that; I am sure we can do that.

He's got a point there. Last year at DCA Prelims, I discovered that the ticket I bought was basically in the Buccaneers fan section. They have cheer sheets, with something like ten different chants written out. I would hear the leader say, "OK, now everyone, let's do cheer #2", and then they all burst into a "Yo ho ho" or what have you. Pretty hilarious.

Now I'm curious what Cadets2 cheers would be.

Interesting that Hopkins writes that "the corps faltered a bit in 2014", given that they were fifth for three seasons running. If placing fifth a second time in 2013 wasn't faltering, I'm not sure why placing fifth a third time in 2014 was.

LOL.. all I can think of was a little salesmanship that the corps really did well in coming in 2nd since they dipped the year before.....

But not knowing what went on with the corps could be almost anything.....

Much as I've faulted some of GHs writings in the past (not going there by saying what exactly) this is a well written sponsor letter. And frankly I'm shocked by the school rental costs, just had no idea.

And Buccs fans must have been in front of the Fan Network camera. Soon as they came out for Finals the freaking Skull n Crossbones flags started flying.... I like the one with the skull sporting the red(?) head rag as it's been around for a while so I started laughing.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

there were? I guess some left for college. The corps was full mid summer, or at least it appeared to be...

a few, but not nearly what was seen in the past few years.

bringing people with DCA experience on staff was huge. while training for C1 is a great idea, having a show that could be cleaned on a weekend only schedule was imperative if they were looking to move up, and they were closer to that goal this year. it was an outstanding show, and in a great ironic twist, was probably the most traditional styled show in the top 5

• Like 1

This is surprising to me...I wasn't following DCA this year but saw Cadets2 at Allentown in June and was not impressed at all...I gave them a bad review actually and I remember much of the guard work was incomplete...looks like they really stepped it up a notch to finish out the season strong...of course I didn't have any other groups to compare them to...so I have no idea how strong the other corps that they competed against were this season either.

Congratulations on your hard work Cadets2! It apparently paid off in huge dividends!

A DCA corps in June is a shell of what you see by late August. When you can only go on weekends, it limits how prepared you are early.