Readable drill

It seems like a case of people seeing what they wanted to see.

Geeee.....ya' think???

"Ya see what you wanna see,

Ya hear what you wanna hear

Ya dig?"

-- The Rock Man from Nilsson's "The Point", 1971

tumblr_lf0y9xlouJ1qzue2w.jpg

• Like 1

Ya dig?"

Oh great now I'll have Harrys music in my head all morning.... Oh oh "Freddy bought a coconut...."

PS love the avatar.. but old enough to remember that sugar coated sugar in the 60s.....

This is quite the story. Looking at the drill that was provided in the article, I will have to say it does not look like what it is supposed to be, but it also does not look like what it is accused of being.

Ya dig?"

tumblr_lf0y9xlouJ1qzue2w.jpg

they do what they wanna do, say what they wanna say

Live how they wanna live, play how they wanna play

Dance how they wanna dance, kick and the slap a friend

The addams family

- MC Hammer

NBC lied.

From the actual news release the article is based on (and refers to in the second paragraph), it is clear that the sanctions were not imposed for the space ship resembling male genitalia at all. It wasn't even a factor as far as the press release is concerned.

There was another issue clearly identified that was the sole cause of the sanctions, and which was only hinted at in the article: specifically that the Jayhawk mascot depicted is not the mascot of either team playing the game; it is the mascot of the University of Kansas. The game was between University of Kansas and South Dakota. It is a violation of conference rules to depict a mascot other than the two teams playing in the game. That's it.

Rereading the NBC article, it is clearly deliberately misleading.

• Like 2

NBC lied.

From the actual news release the article is based on (and refers to in the second paragraph), it is clear that the sanctions were not imposed for the space ship resembling male genitalia at all. It wasn't even a factor as far as the press release is concerned.

There was another issue clearly identified that was the sole cause of the sanctions, and which was only hinted at in the article: specifically that the Jayhawk mascot depicted is not the mascot of either team playing the game; it is the mascot of the University of Kansas. The game was between University of Kansas and South Dakota. It is a violation of conference rules to depict a mascot other than the two teams playing in the game. That's it.

Rereading the NBC article, it is clearly deliberately misleading.

That's partially right: it's because of a combination of the two. The conference is upset that one school visualized harming another school's mascot. Here's a statement from the Big 12 Commissioner:

"The actions of the marching band depicting the disintegration of a member institution's mascot was inconsistent with the principles and expectations of the Big 12 Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct Policy," Bowlsby said Tuesday in a statement. "I appreciate the prompt actions of K-State President Kirk Schulz and Athletics Director John Currie in addressing this matter and accept the University's self-imposed penalties."

There we go:

not necessarily using another school's imagery

not necessarily the (gross) misconception of the imagery

It was one member school depicting harm to another member school.

Again, coming from a B1G school this is a fairly goofy rule, but thinking about it I don't ever recall Ohio State band depicting harm to Michigan's mascot: LOTS of jabs at the students & institution (often using U of M tradmarked imagery like their 'Block M' blue/gold flag), but not directly at the mascot.

At this point I wonder where the line is as far as acceptable teasing vs poor sportsmanship

• Like 1

That's partially right: it's because of a combination of the two. The conference is upset that one school visualized harming another school's mascot. Here's a statement from the Big 12 Commissioner:

There we go:

not necessarily using another school's imagery

not necessarily the (gross) misconception of the imagery

It was one member school depicting harm to another member school.

Again, coming from a B1G school this is a fairly goofy rule, but thinking about it I don't ever recall Ohio State band depicting harm to Michigan's mascot: LOTS of jabs at the students & institution (often using U of M tradmarked imagery like their 'Block M' blue/gold flag), but not directly at the mascot.

At this point I wonder where the line is as far as acceptable teasing vs poor sportsmanship

No, the genitalia aspect was still not a factor at all according to the quote you gave. You just clarified that the disintegration of the mascot was an important factor, which is a valuable clarification. But it was still all about the mascot, and not at all about the space ship. The NBC article asserts that it is all about the space ship and it's misinterpretation, when they must have known better because they included the memo. NBC was deliberately misleading its audience.