DCI Audio/Video

Does anyone know why the DCI website is not available. Been trying the last two days with no luck.

It's been working for me straight through?

I would think that many corps administrations would appreciate not having to go through the hassle and expense in terms of obtaining publishing/arrangement copyright clearance. Maybe not?

They still have to go through the hassles and expense of obtaining arranging/performance copyright clearance. And honestly, I imagine most/all of DCI corps admin pay a third party to do all the legwork for them.

Who wants "no digital archive"?

I was speaking more rhetorically & broadly (and facetiously). I was thinking that no official digital archive now reminded me of the 1990s when all you had was the official CDs and/or VHS tapes that came out around Thanksgiving. I then equated that in my head w/folks who are seemingly very against changes to the activity and want things to go back to the way they used to be (no electronics, G bugles, etc) and smirked in a goofy way thinking "well, there's ONE thing seemingly going back to the way things used to be."

Just a goofy comment, really. If speculation and/or unofficial stats are correct there weren't very many people spending large amounts of time on digital archives on FN anyway.

They still have to go through the hassles and expense of obtaining arranging/performance copyright clearance. And honestly, I imagine most/all of DCI corps admin pay a third party to do all the legwork for them.

Under current U.S. law, they don't have to do copyright clearance if it's a public domain work with no copyright, which is likely for those works by composers who've been dead at least 70 years.

Under current U.S. law, they don't have to do copyright clearance if it's a public domain work with no copyright, which is likely for those works by composers who've been dead at least 70 years.

True, however the vast majority of work utilized by DCI corps is not in the public domain

Actually, no. There's quite a bit of music out there that is still under copyright using those guidelines.

All depends on the work, who owns the rights, etc.

You do also have to factor in that some pieces are public domain in the US and not elsewhere, and vice versa, which makes it difficult if you're going to offer a product globally.

There are many levels and timeframes to copyright.

Any idea if DCI requires corps to submit proof that public domain music they use is under public domain? Have followed the paper trail that some DCA Mini corps have done and thought it was needed there.

Actually, no. There's quite a bit of music out there that is still under copyright using those guidelines.

All depends on the work, who owns the rights, etc.

You do also have to factor in that some pieces are public domain in the US and not elsewhere, and vice versa, which makes it difficult if you're going to offer a product globally.

There are many levels and timeframes to copyright.

You are correct on all points--I misspoke and hit the "post" button. That said, I still think it's not a bad idea for a corps to see what *is* in the public domain and NOT under copyright, domestic or internationally, to design a show around. And you don't necessarily have to go through third-party copyright clearance to do it.

George Hopkins sent an email out today to all of the USBands High School Band Directors that there would be NO videos made this season for USBands championship shows due to copyright issues...

This issue is going to reach far and wide now that its spreading to HS band circuits. Imagine the frustration of high school seniors and their parents when they find out they won't be able to purchase a professionally made video keepsake of their Senior year performance at championships.

I know many parents just whip out their phones and record anyway, but it will still be a surprising and frustrating issue for those parents and fans of the high school bands who don't follow the marching arts like we do (DCI, BOA, WGI, etc), and are expecting to be able to purchase videos at or after the various circuit championship shows.

I know BOA has still not been able to release the 2014 vids from last fall... sad.