DCI Audio/Video

BoA did a live webcast, so there was a full camera crew. All band directors were provided with one DVD of their own band's performance "for instructional and archival purposes", but no DVDs or CDs were or will be sold, apparently ever. BoA used to have an online service like the Fan Network with a decent number of videos from the past several years, but that material was taken down many months ago. However, they have stated that they hope eventually to be able to restore some non-live online viewing options, and it is said that they are working to digitize their videos going back to their origins in the 1970s.

(To go briefly off-topic: USBands was the subject of a fair amount of mockery on BoA's forums a couple weeks ago. The complaints were: (1) they have the effrontery to refer to their major contest as a "national" championship when they regularly serve only a small geographic area; (2) their scores are so inflated as to be "ridiculous" and "degrading", with even the weakest bands earning scores in the low 80s at that event--in contrast to the "healthy competition" of BoA, where the lowest scores at Grand Nationals were in the low 50s--because USBands wants to "pat everyone on the back"; (3) a supposed "lack of transparency" in the scoring process; (4) the participating bands encountering only inferior opponents and thus not realizing that what they see as superior is only mediocre--with the particular fear expressed that Norwin, the USB champion and one of the few at USB to be a regular BoA participant, would "stagnate" if they didn't get out of that "bubble"; (5) the enormous size of the trophies; and (6) the quality of the judges. As regards the last item, the judging that led to Norwin not receiving top scores in Visual and G.E. was specifically identified. When, after checking USBands' website, I pointed out that two of those four judges were George Hopkins and Marc Sylvester, this was the reply: "I'd rather have J.J. Pipitone doing all the captions himself than have George do any of them." As you are a USBands participant, I thought these grumblings might interest you.)

Thanks for the scoop on the videos.

As to the OT comments...

Oh, I am aware of those sorts of gripes and complaints, as are most people I know that are involved with USBands. Before I go and defend them....let me make it VERY clear...It is by no means a perfect circuit. I make some of the same complaints myself.

National Champs are open to any band, so using the 'National' is fair, IMO. Taking a look at the results, there were bands from 10 states represented at Nationals between Open and 'A' class. BOA grand Nats draws great bands from all over, which provides a great experience. But...on a percentage basis, most of the bands that participate are in Indiana or the states that surround it...on day 1 of prelims, 36 of 48 bands fit that model.

Scores are what they are. In USBands think of them along the lines of grades in academic classes. 90-100 is an 'A', 80-89 a 'B', etc. BOA takes a different approach. One isn't better than the other; they are just different concepts. Raw numbers don't mean anything anyway. As long as the ranking and rating is accurate, that is all that counts, as has been the case forever in band and drum corps.

Lack of transparency in the process...USBands does host a number of webinars for director and judges. I don't know all that much about BOA and how transparent it is, so it is hard to make a comparison for me.

Inferior opponents? Unlike BOA with its geographically isolated regionals, USbands hosts well over 100 shows, open to bands of every competitive caliber, from the beginners through some excellent programs. Their intent is to be inclusive, not exclusive. Nothing wrong with that.

The size of the trophies...why is that even an issue? Yes, they are huge for the top scores. OK.

Quality of judges...unlike BOA that has a handful of Nationals and Regionals to fill, and given their status I'm sure can be as selective as they want. USBands with all of its shows is not in such a position. They have to fill a LOT of judging slots. 10/31 there were 13 shows on just one day...10/24 had 14. Some of the judges I have encountered are pretty marginal, for sure; but most do a decent job.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

National Champs are open to any band, so using the 'National' is fair, IMO. Taking a look at the results, there were bands from 10 states represented at Nationals between Open and 'A' class. BOA grand Nats draws great bands from all over, which provides a great experience. But...on a percentage basis, most of the bands that participate are in Indiana or the states that surround it...on day 1 of prelims, 36 of 48 bands fit that model.

Absolutely true. Of 95 bands from 22 states in Grand Nationals this year, 59 were from Indiana or its four immediate neighbors. If anyone cares about this sort of thing,this is the breakdown. The 30 bands who qualified for Semifinals based on scores are shown in bold, and the 12 bands who moved to Finals are underlined.

INDIANA AND ADJACENT STATES (59)

Indiana (12): Avon, Ben Davis, Carmel, Center Grove, Goshen, Lake Central, Homestead, Lawrence Township, Monrovia, New Palestine, Southwestern, Triton Central

Michigan (6): Jenison, Lakeland, Mt. Pleasant, Rockford, Troy Athens, West Bloomfield

Illinois (3): Lake Park, Marian Catholic, Metamora Township

Kentucky (9): Adair County, Beechwood, Bourbon County, Central Hardin, Highlands, Larry A. Ryle, Meade County, North Laurel, Pulaski County

Ohio (29): Ada, Archbishop Alter, Avon, Bellbrook, Bishop Fenwick, Butler, Carlisle, Carroll, Centerville, Central Crossing, Dawson-Bryant, Dublin Coffman, East Clinton, Edgewood, Hamilton, Indian Hill, La Salle, Logan Elm, Miamisburg, Milford, Milton-Union, New Philadelphia, Northmont, Norton, Walter E. Stebbins, Talawanda, Tippecanoe, Warren Local, William Mason

NORTHEAST (3)

New York (1): Lancaster

Pennsylvania (2): Blackhawk, Kiski Area

SOUTHEAST (14)

North Carolina (3): Green Hope, Cary Senior, Charles D. Owen

Tennessee (7): Franklin, Fred J. Page, Goodpasture Christian School, Father Ryan, Dobyns-Bennett, Cleveland, Ravenwood

Georgia (1): Harrison

Alabama (2): Corner, Saint James School

Mississippi (1): DeSoto Central

SOUTH CENTRAL (11)

Arkansas (2): Bentonville, Paragould

Missouri (2): Blue Springs, Potosi

Texas (5): Hebron, Keller, Keller Central, Round Rock, The Woodlands

Oklahoma (2): Berryhill, Broken Arrow

NORTH CENTRAL (4)

Iowa (1): Davenport Central

Minnesota (1): Eden Prairie

Wisconsin (2): Greendale, Waukesha North

SOUTHWEST/NORTHWEST (4)

California (2): Homestead, Valley Christian

Hawai’i (1): Mililani

Alaska (1): Colony (AK’s only high school marching band, by the way)

A good number of the participating bands from the nearby states (especially Ohio) are there not because they are the best, but because it's an easy trip.

(Not only did all five participating Texas bands make Semis and four of those make Finals, but all of them, as previously noted were beaten by three other Texas bands at BoA's San Antonio regional two weeks earlier.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

so on the DCI website, it says enter an email for 2015 DVD updates?

so....

If one is already on DCI's email list, is it necessary to sign up again?