Cadets 2016

Tobias

Seriously, that sloppy drum line and overrated brass line is tough to listen too.

How cool would that be for a show theme?

"Sloppy and Overrated"

OK.. maybe not very. :tongue:

• Like 1

first and foremost - I hope you are doing ok...

second and not nearly as importantly - I disagree with your "panel of experts"

Thank you for the get well wishes. Progress is going well. What is written below is not from the drugs either.

Hey, I asked a question about why CG unis are not designed as a permanent (for the season) successful visual impact rather than an experiment. I believe MMs deserve the best, not half tries..

In this thread I am not the only one who spoke of the washout of the colors as viewed from the box of the largest stadia such as San Antonio, Georgia Dome, and LOS where CG points will matter most in placement for regionals' performances, and ultimately championships. The failure is in not the MMs but the design.

Like the problems in visual for the whole corps last season, the problems have not disappeared or been solved in either of the uniform offerings of this season. When horns are up and drums strapped on, crossbelt "improvement" for hornline won't be seen, sidesash for the drums won't matter. Impact of knee and feet movements will still be "blacked out." (pun definitely intended.) Against the black curtains of Indy, any strong visual finale will be muted, black on black as the judges view it so far up and away.

For those presuming I am the villain, I am not one of the alumni proposing the picket lines outside Hopkin's Winefest this Sunday at Tao's in E. Rutherford or outside the Dee Moulah corportate factory offices in Illinois.

Though such approaches might bring some media attention, I don't see GH changing his mind but rather becoming more entrenched.

I think Jim has worked too hard and for many years as a successful fundraiser for the corps. The media attention would be negative beyond the abandonment of a 80 year tradition, its history, and sacred tradition. I think such a Union-like protest would be unfair to the current MMs and to their many hours of practice and tour fee raising over this past winter.

Yes, some MMs are deeply disappointed that they will not get the chance to wear the maroon, cream and gold, but I don't think it wise to cut one's nose to spite one's face.

{Besides the Montrose, Colorado solution to Cadets' guard unis of seasons past was much more effective.]

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I am not one of the alumni proposing the picket lines outside Hopkin's Winefest this Sunday at Tao's in E. Rutherford or outside the Dee Moulah corportate factory offices in Illinois.

You'd think this a Donald Trump rally. Seriously. It's drum corps. Not Vietnam.

• Like 2

Thank you for the get well wishes. Progress is going well. What is written below is not from the drugs either.

Hey, I asked a question about why CG unis are not designed as a permanent (for the season) successful visual impact rather than an experiment. I believe MMs deserve the best, not half tries..

In this thread I am not the only one who spoke of the washout of the colors as viewed from the box of the largest stadia such as San Antonio, Georgia Dome, and LOS where CG points will matter most in placement for regionals' performances, and ultimately championships. The failure is in not the MMs but the design.

Like the problems in visual for the whole corps last season, the problems have not disappeared or been solved in either of the uniform offerings of this season. When horns are up and drums strapped on, crossbelt "improvement" for hornline won't be seen, sidesash for the drums won't matter. Impact of knee and feet movements will still be "blacked out." (pun definitely intended.) Against the black curtains of Indy, any strong visual finale will be muted, black on black as the judges view it so far up and away.

For those presuming I am the villain, I am not one of the alumni proposing the picket lines outside Hopkin's Winefest this Sunday at Tao's in E. Rutherford or outside the Dee Moulah corportate factory offices in Illinois.

Though such approaches might bring some media attention, I don't see GH changing his mind but rather becoming more entrenched.

I think Jim has worked too hard and for many years as a successful fundraiser for the corps. The media attention would be negative beyond the abandonment of a 80 year tradition, its history, and sacred tradition. I think such a Union-like protest would be unfair to the current MMs and to their many hours of practice and tour fee raising over this past winter.

Yes, some MMs are deeply disappointed that they will not get the chance to wear the maroon, cream and gold, but I don't think it wise to cut one's nose to spite one's face.

{Besides the Montrose, Colorado solution to Cadets' guard unis of seasons past was much more effective.]

The fact that the uniforms will be black from day 1 of the season will give ample viewings by staff and judges and time to address any issues that arise if they do. My understanding is the guard/props are to be the focus but IF the corps proper is washed out, they can add silver stripes to pants, colored drop sashes etc but I doubt they are as oblivious as you think they are.

I'll be at the function Sunday and will talk with Hop about these issues as I usually do but I'm sure they're things they aren't releasing about the show. He throws lots of stuff out but not all...

Edited by Tobias

The fact that the uniforms will be black from day 1 of the season will give ample viewings by staff and judges and time to address any issues that arise if they do. My understanding is the guard/props are to be the focus but IF the corps proper is washed out, they can add silver stripes to pants, colored drop sashes etc but I doubt they are as oblivious as you think they are.

I'll be at the function Sunday and will talk with Hop about these issues as I usually do but I'm sure they're things they aren't releasing about the show. He throws lots of stuff out but not all...

enjoy your wine. Or on this thread is that whine? ho, ho.

Hope they have today's weather for ST

If The Cadets win a DCI Title for themselves this season, the uniforms won't have anything to do with it, imo.

If The Cadets finish out of the medal round this season, the uniforms won't have anything to do with it, imo.

The difference between the former and the latter however, is that in many quarters, rightly or wrongly, the reason for the latter result will be seen as " the uniforms ". Thats the risk one takes with these things, and I'm sure this was considered before this direction with the uniforms was taken by GH.

enjoy your wine. Or on this thread is that whine? ho, ho.

Hope they have today's weather for ST

Last year they had great weather for ST. Hoping for the same.

All good shows. For most of the season I had Cadets on top (both competitively and favorite show), but my local Bluecoats were also one of my favorite shows of the year. But I must admit, come Finals, the Blue Devils became my favorite show, and I thought they deserved to win. Their 2015 show is my favorite from them in many years. Just loved everything about it.

Cadets and Coats were still my 2nd and 3rd favs, and Crown jumped to 4th. As good as Crown was, the dark look didn't work for the closer, they mucked up a few sections in the middle of the show, and when I ONLY watch the drill I think how easy that would have looked without all the staging and body movement. GREAT MUSIC thought! Most powerful music book in terms of grabbing the audience.

Major props to Academy, who had my 5th most favorite show of the year. That was an awesome rendition of the Mary Poppins musical.

wow - get out of my head!!!

Glad you are doing better. I honestly disagree with the rest of it. I guess if they do great visually you'll be back here to eat crow. Alumni worried about M&G are worried about the wrong thing. JMO