Cadets 2016

Tobias

And if that 230+bpm closer is actually happening, consider my leg tingling.

I love what I see and of course the 230+bpm closer will be very Cadetish so you'll have your run n gun n fun.

Is there a video of this music somewhere?

• Like 1

Agreed. I just think some of his design input has a tendency towards being a bit ham-handed. I'm excited to see what these fresh faces bring to the table.

And if that 230+bpm closer is actually happening, consider my leg tingling.

There was a clip of the trumpets playing through it at sectionals in a semicircle. Their legs were moving so fast feet weren't leaving the floor! Not sure how they wven move to that unless they do a BD move (and not move to it). 🤔 Edited by Tobias

There was a clip of the trumpets playing through it at sectionals in a semicircle. Their legs were moving so fast feet weren't leaving the floor! Not sure how they wven move to that unless they do a BD move (and not move to it).

230 is nothing new to Cadets. Even when 220 was the norm, tempos were often upped at sectionals and rehearsals to tax the talents and stretch the abilities. And they mastered it.

Edited by xandandl

230 is nothing new to Cadets. Even when 220 was the norm, tempos were often upped at sectionals and rehearsals to tax the talents and stretch the abilities. And they mastered it.

But it's still hauling!

I breezed through most of it after they were no longer live. A few points:

The main thing is they are attempting a completely different (for them) approach to visual design. For those of us who have been urging something of the sort for years, this is encouraging news. Major chunks of the show are being staged by composing it with the members on the field. As with the others who have long done this - BD, Crown, Bluecoats, etc - the kids are generating many of the ideas, feel ownership of the show, and are having fun with it. That's all good.

George is staying out of the way when they work on this. Like in another county out of the way. This is also good news, and might give it a chance for success.

The parts of drill they ran looked, well, very BD or Crownish. As opposed to the usual Cadet style of everything moving at once, there were rarely more than a few key areas doing serious motion, while numerous other sections were still/posing, etc.

The choreographer is striving to make it look like "Cadets" while also attempting this new style. It will be interesting to see how that works or doesn't work. Lots of attempt at modern dance.

So here is the wildcard with all this: it is not so much what they are trying to do, as what they are up against. This visual staff is pretty much all-new, with the learning curve that comes with that, and they will be attempting an approach that is very new to all the kids, both rookie and vet. None of their direct competition has really done that. The products they all produce now are the result of years of evolution, taught by staffs which have also grown and evolved together. It is going to be a challenging competitive landscape, no doubt.

Since they are already strong muscially, they seem to be addressing the glaring weak spot, and whatever happens with it, it doesn't seem they will come out of the gate "stale" as they have the past few years. Overall it seemed a positive step, and it will probably take 3-4 weeks of the season to see if it is going to succeed or fail, but at least they are trying to step out of their comfort zone.

Nice Recap .... 3 or 4 weeks ??? that seems like an eternity ....

I know this is against Hop's wishes but did anyone happen to record the "live" event last night? I was teaching my own band camp at home and by the time I got home the video was taken down :confused:

I was on a plane and didn't get to see it either. I guess the intent is to drive "live viewers" and remove the videos so the show is watched 10,000 times before the first competition. Given how last season played out I can understand.

Anyway - I agree with others comments in general from what I have been able to learn/hear/discover/watch/listen to:

1. 2016 Cadets will have a very fresh visual approach

2. So far the guard seems to be off to a very strong start

3. The drill so far seems like a mix of Cadets approach and a more fresh approach. More staging, less flex drill

4. The music is ahead of last year. Both percussion and brass

5. The "new" chemistry will either lock in quickly or may hurt them competitively. I would think a "quick start" would help mitigate that

6. The corps will have 7-8 of show on the field by Sunday. Proof positive that standing/clustering/emoting creatively is a little faster to field than 300 pages of drill

7. Assuming a cleaner guard, the epic horn and drum lines should keep the Cadets top 3 this year. Time will tell

Here's my picks for Championships given everything as they are now. I'll post updated picks July 1:

George Dixon, on 23 May 2016 - 7:58 PM, said:snapback.png

Im going out on a major limb with my top six

1. Crown, Brass and Guard

2. Cadets, Drums

3. Bluecoats

4. BD

5. Blue Knights

6. SCV

7. Cavaliers

8. Boston

9. Madison

10. Phantom