Cadets 2016

Tobias

So is it safe to say Darryl will be shying away from writing the type of Cadets drill that he marched ('88-'95)?

Also: who was the drill writer the year that Jeff Sacktig wasn't with the Cadets, 2002?

So is it safe to say Darryl will be shying away from writing the type of Cadets drill that he marched ('88-'95)?

I don't think that's safe to say at all... I'm thinking they are utilizing more staging (indoor guard/percussion approach) than drill (especially in the 3rd tune aka ballad but not so much a ballad) and in regards to choreographed moments

Darryl isn't going to take the Cadets to a completely different place. As you mentioned the Cadet drill approach is in his DNA

So a continuity - and a fresh start, at once

I'm even more excited (interested) in the guard caption. That guard is WORKING.

Time to spin after dinner at 11pm??!! Work it :)

Also: who was the drill writer the year that Jeff Sacktig wasn't with the Cadets, 2002?

I Believe it was Sully that did the drill that year.

I personally find whiplash drill to be overrated. Speed and power can become pretty tiresome. I love SCV's and Cavies' approach to drill. It keeps things exciting throughout the show rather than for a few minutes

I personally find easy drill to be boring and not challenging at all. Some people marched Cadets for whiplash drill; others marched other corps because they find those corps' styles more appealing. Different strokes for different folks. Every corps should maintain their identity no matter who finds it overrated, boring, or different. Corps shouldn't conform to what other corps are doing. This is the primary reason I have a lot of respect for BD.

• Like 2

I personally find easy drill to be boring and not challenging at all. Some people marched Cadets for whiplash drill; others marched other corps because they find those corps' styles more appealing. Different strokes for different folks. Every corps should maintain their identity no matter who finds it overrated, boring, or different. Corps shouldn't conform to what other corps are doing. This is the primary reason I have a lot of respect for BD.

Correct,

its just about style which ALL can fit into criteria, the rest is just subjective. It's exciting to see those who continually find ways to create during a show and it can be just as effective if not more sometimes when surprises pop out at you. Effect is not effect the 12 time you do it.

So corps at this level know all this and create different way ( thankfully ) to excite and surprise an audience.

Some thoughts on the drill discussion.

Shifting to a more staging oriented approach does not mean velocity/whiplash type stuff goes out the window. I'm switching a band over from UIL centric drill to GE/BOA centric stuff this fall. The main things that were discussed with the director were more integration and intelligent staging with the color guard, more musicality in the drill, more variety, and utilizing more guard type staging/body visual type stuff in the winds. None of that means traditional drill goes away, it's just used more intelligently and sporadically to highlight the right people, things, and events at the right time.

The majority of the Pines of Rome stuff looked pretty standard Cadets type stuff to me, at least from the angle showed. Even at the low angle, could see a ton of huge step sizes, jarring direction changes, meshing/morphing linear and block stuff, and other little things. All that indicated fast, high velocity, "whiplash" type stuff if that's what you want to call it. The only thing I'd say that seemed different from last year was the guard was a lot more front and center and staged more effectively. I think his name was Curtis in the interviews, talked a lot about Turning, which is where I think we will see a lot more of the evolution of the visual approach to this show. He talked about dance company type approach and no drill at all in the front half of it, just telling people where they were needed to go. I think at that point in the show we will see the shift that has been talked about time and time again.

So honestly, to anyone worried that they're going to not look like the Cadets anymore in terms of visual presentation, I don't think you have anything to worry about. To me, it seems like in the POR stuff we're going to still see classic Cadets high velocity stuff with some more guard integration and more effective staging. Then it sounds like in Turning, we're going to see a more BD type non charted, staged type piece. And I suspect there will probably be bits of that throughout the rest of the show. Like I've said before, Daryl's stuff in the high school world is some of the hardest, most effective, and ridiculous (in a good way) I see attempted at BOA events. Should be great. He's definitely the type of writer a young one like me aspires to be.

I think in short we're just going to see a more intelligent updated approach to their visual design this year. Not a complete change in style and approach.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Uhm did I say anything about asking Cadets to stop marching whiplash drill for me? Was just offering my opinion on drill styles.

I don't think that's safe to say at all... I'm thinking they are utilizing more staging (indoor guard/percussion approach) than drill (especially in the 3rd tune aka ballad but not so much a ballad) and in regards to choreographed moments

Darryl isn't going to take the Cadets to a completely different place. As you mentioned the Cadet drill approach is in his DNA

So a continuity - and a fresh start, at once

I'm even more excited (interested) in the guard caption. That guard is WORKING.

Time to spin after dinner at 11pm??!! Work it :)

Wait Cadets don't have a true ballad this year?

Uhm did I say anything about asking Cadets to stop marching whiplash drill for me? Was just offering my opinion on drill styles.

Did I say you asked Cadets to stop marching whiplash drill? I offered MY opinion on why I think their style isn't overrated. Take a chill pill.

• Like 2

Some thoughts on the drill discussion.

Shifting to a more staging oriented approach does not mean velocity/whiplash type stuff goes out the window. I'm switching a band over from UIL centric drill to GE/BOA centric stuff this fall. The main things that were discussed with the director were more integration and intelligent staging with the color guard, more musicality in the drill, more variety, and utilizing more guard type staging/body visual type stuff in the winds. None of that means traditional drill goes away, it's just used more intelligently and sporadically to highlight the right people, things, and events at the right time.

The majority of the Pines of Rome stuff looked pretty standard Cadets type stuff to me, at least from the angle showed. Even at the low angle, could see a ton of huge step sizes, jarring direction changes, meshing/morphing linear and block stuff, and other little things. All that indicated fast, high velocity, "whiplash" type stuff if that's what you want to call it. The only thing I'd say that seemed different from last year was the guard was a lot more front and center and staged more effectively. I think his name was Curtis in the interviews, talked a lot about Turning, which is where I think we will see a lot more of the evolution of the visual approach to this show. He talked about dance company type approach and no drill at all in the front half of it, just telling people where they were needed to go. I think at that point in the show we will see the shift that has been talked about time and time again.

So honestly, to anyone worried that they're going to not look like the Cadets anymore in terms of visual presentation, I don't think you have anything to worry about. To me, it seems like in the POR stuff we're going to still see classic Cadets high velocity stuff with some more guard integration and more effective staging. Then it sounds like in Turning, we're going to see a more BD type non charted, staged type piece. And I suspect there will probably be bits of that throughout the rest of the show. Like I've said before, Daryl's stuff in the high school world is some of the hardest, most effective, and ridiculous (in a good way) I see attempted at BOA events. Should be great. He's definitely the type of writer a young one like me aspires to be.

I think in short we're just going to see a more intelligent updated approach to their visual design this year. Not a complete change in style and approach.

Exactly and well said.