Cadets 2016

Tobias

Any news on what went down?

I got Netflix'd hard with The Sixties and lost track of time....

GH put up the clip on FB. Running through chunks of show. I think it's going to be fantastic!...

AND the clip is down. Oh well...

Edited by Tobias

The Pines of Rome stuff seems pretty standard Cadets to me. More adventurous stuff sounds like it'll be in the Mackey.

Mackey is very modern and the visual will be very cool. PoR is great to have. It's Cadets but so much of the show is outside their normal box so it will be very different., The kids are so into it and having a blast.

Mackey is very modern and the visual will be very cool. PoR is great to have. It's Cadets but so much of the show is outside their normal box so it will be very different., The kids are so into it and having a blast.

I'm pretty excited, although I'm still cautiously optimistic about the drill and the guard.

• Like 2

Any news on what went down?

I got Netflix'd hard with The Sixties and lost track of time....

I breezed through most of it after they were no longer live. A few points:

The main thing is they are attempting a completely different (for them) approach to visual design. For those of us who have been urging something of the sort for years, this is encouraging news. Major chunks of the show are being staged by composing it with the members on the field. As with the others who have long done this - BD, Crown, Bluecoats, etc - the kids are generating many of the ideas, feel ownership of the show, and are having fun with it. That's all good.

George is staying out of the way when they work on this. Like in another county out of the way. This is also good news, and might give it a chance for success.

The parts of drill they ran looked, well, very BD or Crownish. As opposed to the usual Cadet style of everything moving at once, there were rarely more than a few key areas doing serious motion, while numerous other sections were still/posing, etc.

The choreographer is striving to make it look like "Cadets" while also attempting this new style. It will be interesting to see how that works or doesn't work. Lots of attempt at modern dance.

So here is the wildcard with all this: it is not so much what they are trying to do, as what they are up against. This visual staff is pretty much all-new, with the learning curve that comes with that, and they will be attempting an approach that is very new to all the kids, both rookie and vet. None of their direct competition has really done that. The products they all produce now are the result of years of evolution, taught by staffs which have also grown and evolved together. It is going to be a challenging competitive landscape, no doubt.

Since they are already strong muscially, they seem to be addressing the glaring weak spot, and whatever happens with it, it doesn't seem they will come out of the gate "stale" as they have the past few years. Overall it seemed a positive step, and it will probably take 3-4 weeks of the season to see if it is going to succeed or fail, but at least they are trying to step out of their comfort zone.

• Like 1

The main thing is they are attempting a completely different (for them) approach to visual design. For those of us who have been urging something of the sort for years, this is encouraging news. Major chunks of the show are being staged by composing it with the members on the field. As with the others who have long done this - BD, Crown, Bluecoats, etc - the kids are generating many of the ideas, feel ownership of the show, and are having fun with it. That's all good.

George is staying out of the way when they work on this. Like in another county out of the way. This is also good news, and might give it a chance for success.

The parts of drill they ran looked, well, very BD or Crownish. As opposed to the usual Cadet style of everything moving at once, there were rarely more than a few key areas doing serious motion, while numerous other sections were still/posing, etc.

The choreographer is striving to make it look like "Cadets" while also attempting this new style. It will be interesting to see how that works or doesn't work. Lots of attempt at modern dance.

So here is the wildcard with all this: it is not so much what they are trying to do, as what they are up against. This visual staff is pretty much all-new, with the learning curve that comes with that, and they will be attempting an approach that is very new to all the kids, both rookie and vet. None of their direct competition has really done that. The products they all produce now are the result of years of evolution, taught by staffs which have also grown and evolved together. It is going to be a challenging competitive landscape, no doubt.

Since they are already strong muscially, they seem to be addressing the glaring weak spot, and whatever happens with it, it doesn't seem they will come out of the gate "stale" as they have the past few years. Overall it seemed a positive step, and it will probably take 3-4 weeks of the season to see if it is going to succeed or fail, but at least they are trying to step out of their comfort zone.

Emphasis mine.

• Like 1

Emphasis mine.

Careful what you wish for. Although there have been many "misses" when he has been involved, there have also been many "hits" when he has been involved as well.

Agree with your thoughts of positivity. Also feel the guard staff change needed to happen for us to get a new visual product which was a barrier in the road holding Cadets back competitively.

Drill writer was a Cadet for many years and then taught Cadets and head viz guy marched Cadets so I think "learning curve" has been happening. Honestly, I feel newer staff come in wanting to prove something and give it 150% . I love what I see and of course the 230+bpm closer will be very Cadetish so you'll have your run n gun n fun.

Agree with your thoughts of positivity. Also feel the guard staff change needed to happen for us to get a new visual product which was a barrier in the road holding Cadets back competitively.

Drill writer was a Cadet for many years and then taught Cadets and head viz guy marched Cadets so I think "learning curve" has been happening. Honestly, I feel newer staff come in wanting to prove something and give it 150% . I love what I see and of course the 230+bpm closer will be very Cadetish so you'll have your run n gun n fun.

Wait, what???

Careful what you wish for. Although there have been many "misses" when he has been involved, there have also been many "hits" when he has been involved as well.

Agreed. I just think some of his design input has a tendency towards being a bit ham-handed. I'm excited to see what these fresh faces bring to the table.

And if that 230+bpm closer is actually happening, consider my leg tingling.