Cadets 2016

Tobias

Dude, you're wasting your time. Just keep the thread negative because apparently, the majority of those posting here have conceded defeat....on June 26th .

Nah! Can't do it. I admit that I wish the Cadets were scoring higher but it seems like the staff knows that there needs to be changes and the video kind of hints that they need to know where they stand with the judges. Last year they started pretty strong and looked like they would win in the middle of the season but then dropped off by the end. So, if they start out "behind" and keep getting better as the season progresses, then it might be a great end to the season. Only time will tell. I'm not putting pressure on them to win. I just want to see it in person and judge for myself. I don't always like the champions show every year but do remember lower-scoring corps whose shows I liked better. It's really about personal preference.

• Like 1

Dude, you're wasting your time. Just keep the thread negative because apparently, the majority of those posting here have conceded defeat....on June 26th .

I think it's pretty safe to say, given the design of the show, the Cadets are not going to medal unless massive changes to the visual design and theme are undertaken. They have great talent - a great brass and a great percussion section. The problem is the show these talented members have been given to work with. It is, simply put, not on the same level as Bluecoats, Crown, SCV and BD. I don't even think it's on the same level as Cavies, Madison and BK (in terms of visual design).

I understand your bias. Believe me, I've been there. It's hard to come to terms, and it hurts like hell, when you see a corps you love struggling to stay relevant and competitive. It's almost absurd to think of the Cadets as not competitive, but I'm talking not competitive in vying for the title. Many corps would kill to be where the Cadets are, fans of lower corps would be thrilled to be where the Cadets are, but fans of the Cadets, like myself, have grown accustomed to the Cadets being in a position to win the title and having fantastic and innovative designs. This years show just isn't up to the level of the recent past by quite a long shot, at least in visual terms. Cavies are only a point beneath them. Last year's 9th place corps. I know the Cavies are better than last year. Everyone on here says the Cadets show is just dirty and they will have a shot at the title when they are clean. It's not just that. The Cadets were dirty dirty dirty last year, and were out front for a big part of the early- to mid-season. Last years show, visually, was far superior and more demanding than this years show.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 3

it seems like the staff knows that there needs to be changes and the video kind of hints that they need to know where they stand with the judges.

That's what you read into it? Not the way it came across to me at all.

Hop has been saying for over a week that they don't even have some of their originally planned elements in place yet (eg. guard costume elements/changes) that are meant to clarify some of the visual/thematic clues. I believe they are hoping to hit the field with those on Tuesday or Thursday.

I think it's pretty safe to say, that with given the design of the show, the Cadets are not going to medal unless massive changes to the visual design and theme are undertaken. They have great talent - a great brass and a great percussion section. They problem is the show these talented members have been given to work with. It is, simply put, not on the same level as Bluecoats, Crown, SCV and BD. I don't even think it's on the same level as Cavies, Madison and BK (in terms of visual design). I understand your bias. I've been there. It's hard to come to terms when you see a corps you love struggling to stay relevant and competitive. It's amazing to think of the Cadets as not-competitive, but I'm talking not competitive in vying for the title. Many corps would kill to be where the Cadets are. Fans of lower corps would be thrilled to be where the Cadets are. But, fans of the Cadets, like myself, have grown accustomed to the Cadets being in a position to win the title and having fantastic designs. This years show just isn't up to the level of the recent past.

I think it's pretty safe to say that everything you have said in your post is YOUR OPINION. You have absolutely NO IDEA what will happen throughout the rest of the season. You may have given up, but there is no way I will adopt the same mindset. Go ahead and fall head over heels over the other corps' designs and consider the Cadets' show useless. But I'm keeping the mindset of Cadets will make the appropriate changes to make themselves more competitive over the rest of the season.

• Like 1

That's what you read into it? Not the way it came across to me at all.

Hop has been saying for over a week that they don't even have some of their originally planned elements in place yet (eg. guard costume elements/changes) that are meant to clarify some of the visual/thematic clues. I believe they are hoping to hit the field with those on Tuesday or Thursday.

It does say that the members should go out and do exactly what they learned so they get an accurate representation of where they're at. They know they have a lot of work to do and the staff will help them to get better. To me, it sounds like they know they need a lot of work and want to know where they stand with the judges to make the changes needed to get better.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty safe to say that everything you have said in your post is YOUR OPINION. You have absolutely NO IDEA what will happen throughout the rest of the season. You may have given up, but there is no way I will adopt the same mindset. Go ahead and fall head over heels over the other corps' designs and consider the Cadets' show useless. But I'm keeping the mindset of Cadets will make the appropriate changes to make themselves more competitive over the rest of the season.

Of course everything I'm saying is MY OPINION. This is a discuss board after all. Just like everything you're saying is YOUR OPINION. I'm not trying to bash the Cadets, I am merely stating my feelings about their show because this is a discussion board and we are talking about the Cadets. People are going to have different opinions on every show.

Edited by henry7184

It's funny because many of my friends think this is the best Cadets show in a long time. Since 2011 at least. It needs some visual redesign, but the pieces are there. I'm am definitely not writing this year off yet. There is a lot of time and these members are incredible

Not been able to keep up so far this season but I am shocked at all the negative reaction to a show that is going through changes daily. Seems some cannot wait to join the parade in hoping the cadets fail big time this season and will make a lot of people very happy if they do. I guess I should not be all that surprised considering this IS the internet and this type of negativity is all too common. :wall::grrr:

It does say that the members should go out and do exactly what they learned so they get an accurate representation of where they're at. They know they have a lot of work to do and the staff will help them to get better. To me, it sounds like they know they need a lot of work and want to know where they stand with the judges to make the changes needed to get better.

To my ears, it was just a coach saying "this it the first show of the season; don't go out there and try to win Finals night with this performance. Play within yourself, and recognize that we're not done yet. Tonight's performance will let us know where we stand - including hearing what the judges say - and we'll continue to work on those things throughout the season."

As opposed to "Oh kids, we don't know what we're going to do! We need to hear the judges' opinions to know how to fix this!"

• Like 2

Of course everything I'm saying is MY OPINION. This is a discuss board after all. Just like everything you're saying is YOUR OPINION. I'm not trying to bash the Cadets, I am merely stating my feelings about their show because this is a discussion board and we are talking about the Cadets. People are going to have different opinions on every show.

I'm just as alarmed and concerned. As others have said, hopefully we will see some positive changes and improvements the next week or so.