Cadets 2016

Tobias

Cappybara,

Now that you have your favorite shows of 2016......how about that signature? Looking forward to it bro!

Hey Blakman, it's not the best effort in the world, but I updated my signature for you

Edited by Cappybara

After seeing BD tonight at DATR I really don't see anyone beating them...amazing show.

Don't disagree. Folks are competing for 2nd and 3rd unless something changes. And right now Crown & Coats are in those spots

Cadets are spending today with laundry and at Disney World - hopefully the free day will do them some good. Back at it tomorrow. Need to get that gap smaller so they can roll into worlds within 1.5 or less and make things interesting

San Antonio will reveal where all the corps stand relative to each other, but it appears Coats and BD will compete for gold, and Crown, Cadets and SCV will compete for bronze. Like everyone else, I can't wait to see BD and Coats on the same field for the first time.

You don't want to draw too many conclusions from just one show, but when push comes to shove it doesn't look like Cavaliers will be in the race for bronze. Likewise, Crown's numbers may well be suffering from essentially having little real competition over the last week or so, no way they are four points off of the leaders.

Maybe SCV has a third gear they are going to hit down the stretch, their show is on the short end of required length, and they could easily add another minute or even two to their program. If not, I don't see them besting Cadets, but I could see this show finishing ahead of Crown. You know Crown will make a late run as they did last year, but for some reason this show just feels a little flat in the shadow of Coats, BD, SCV and Cadets.

Edited by MikeRapp

San Antonio will reveal where all the corps stand relative to each other, but it appears Coats and BD will compete for gold, and Crown, Cadets and SCV will compete for bronze. Like everyone else, I can't wait to see BD and Coats on the same field for the first time.

You don't want to draw too many conclusions from just one show, but when push comes to shove it doesn't look like Cavaliers will be in the race for bronze. Likewise, Crown's numbers may well be suffering from essentially having little real competition over the last week or so, no way they are four points off of the leaders.

Maybe SCV has a third gear they are going to hit down the stretch, their show is on the short end of required length, and they could easily add another minute or even two to their program. If not, I don't see them besting Cadets, but I could see this show finishing ahead of Crown. You know Crown will make a late run as they did last year, but for some reason this show just feels a little flat in the shadow of Coats, BD, SCV and Cadets.

Don't disagree. Right now with Coats one direction and Crown the other hard to get a read. If Coats / BD compete for Gold then that leaves one medal left. Crown would probably snag it

Cadets/SCV next in line to possibly jump up. Cadets have caption strength in Brass/Drums - SCV had Drums/Guard strength

The issue with Cavaliers is they seem unlikely to challenge for any captions - so they may be relegated to sixth, which is a very big accomplishment given the year we seem to be having and the jump for the corps from 2015

I'd say Crown & Cadets are the 2 to watch if a "dark horse" emerges. Crown has that phenomenal guard and brass. Cadets have very strong percussion as well as brass and improved guard. Crown's design is better and they are cleaner.

Anyway - 5 weeks left

Kind of agree.

****THESE ARE ONLY MY VIEWS AND/OR OPINIONS****

So I just got back from Cadets rehearsal. It was blazing hot at 94 degrees with the heat index indicating 103 degrees, not comfortable at all but hey....it's Florida, right? I got a chance to talk to GH and Gino. Gino remembered me from when I marched under him which was a highlight to the day. I still idolize the guy if you can't tell but I wasn't intimidated this time around. I don't quite know how I feel about that. Both are excited about this season as they should be and don't seem worried about anything. A very good thing.

Ok, on to the show. One thing for sure is that like everyone has been saying all along, seeing a video of the corps doesn't do it justice by any stretch of the imagination. The brass is wicked good, ridiculous loud (ridiculous as in I could sit there and listen to them play at a FFF volume all day long), the percussion is out of this world and the guard is cleaning up VERY nicely. The changes that have been made are awesome and fit extremely well. The new drill (staging, since that seems to be the buzz word this season) in Turning, some of the little musical embellishments in Villa and the music additions at the end of Wine Dark Sea are killer. Once the end of Wine Dark is cleaned up, the new additions will come through a lot better but for now I will definitely take what I can get.

Again, the guard is starting to look stellar and you now can get a greater sense of the story that is being portrayed, even without music to back it up. Some of the guard work looks difficult/impressive but is executed well and very much adds to the GE. I've never ever been a colorguard guy and I'm still not but I can say that this guard is crucial to the corps and they are doing a darn great job of bringing that caption it to the table. Kristy was out there today cleaning and spot checking a lot of things which was cool to see. Not becuase it is her job but because the beginning of ensemble got a little carried away which didn't leave much time so it was cut a little short. Despite that, you could see her out fixing errors under time constraint which was awesome.

The electronics, in my opinion, are way too much. Not as far as overuse but in terms of volume. The volume just never seemed to gel with the rest of the corps but perhaps it sounded different from on top of the press box where the staff was or to the judges at competitions. It just sounded like a lot of great things that were happening behind/within the pit aren't heard. Unless you ran a particular segment with brass/battery only, in most cases, you didn't hear those parts clearly when the electronics were added in. I have no fear that they will work those issues out.

I was already excited about the Cadets this season but after seeing them in person today, it has further solidified the fact that I'm sold. A month from now, no matter the placement, it is going to be a show that I think everyone will still whistle at the water cooler in the break room. Hopefully they will continue to close the gap and if they don't, so be it. It'll just be like Madison Scouts 1995 &1996. You know, the two 4th and 7th place shows that are still all time DCI favorites to this day.

Lucky you. I'm still intimidated by Gino.

Bloo 79.00

Cadets 76.65

Crossmen 70.1

Boston 68.75

Spirit 63.2

Surf 57.55

Scores from tonight in Lakeland

Should I start to worry now? It's July 10th and Cadets are 2.35 points behind Bloo. I mean is their show really that far behind? I need to see them all in person. Like. ASAP.

• Like 1

Should I start to worry now? It's July 10th and Cadets are 2.35 points behind Bloo. I mean is their show really that far behind? I need to see them all in person. Like. ASAP.

No.

They are dirty. They have a closer to add. They just got Marc in. They will compete in the captions for Brass & Percussion (at least). Last night they marched 8 tubas and 4 bass drums. They are still working guard into the program. The guard caption head tours with them for ten days starting in a week.

I could go on. They have been running about 1.5pts behind Bloo (take out last night) -- a week from now hopefully the gap is 1.5 or lower. Then we let SAT happen and we'll see where they really fall in the pecking order. I have a feeling they will be above SCV and below the top cluster - in prime position to make a late season surge and keep things very interesting

We also have to be honest - new staff is in place, quite a bit of it. So this year could be a rebuilding year in some ways. Let's say they finish 4th or 5th - but they have a vastly improved guard and a very emotional and well received performance at finals. That will put the corps in great position for 2017

• Like 1

No.

They are dirty. They have a closer to add. They just got Marc in. They will compete in the captions for Brass & Percussion (at least). Last night they marched 8 tubas and 4 bass drums. They are still working guard into the program. The guard caption head tours with them for ten days starting in a week.

I could go on. They have been running about 1.5pts behind Bloo (take out last night) -- a week from now hopefully the gap is 1.5 or lower. Then we let SAT happen and we'll see where they really fall in the pecking order. I have a feeling they will be above SCV and below the top cluster - in prime position to make a late season surge and keep things very interesting

We also have to be honest - new staff is in place, quite a bit of it. So this year could be a rebuilding year in some ways. Let's say they finish 4th or 5th - but they have a vastly improved guard and a very emotional and well received performance at finals. That will put the corps in great position for 2017

At this point:

BD and Bluecoats competing for top spot.

Crown, Cadets, SCV competing for bronze.

Of these three, not sure which one jumps into this spot. SCV looks great. Cadets really very dirty and need to get their closer in and clean and then Crown who is very strong but cleaner than the other two. Tough at this point who has the legs to grow. Thought Crown would be scoring higher with all the cleaning they've done. Figured around 79 last night so maybe some concerns there. Not sure until all together

No.

July 11, 2015

Cadets beat BD 0.15 and Crown by 2.25 PTs.

Cadets need to get it together starting this week but it's not too late. If changes solid (and they have been) and they clean (5 weeks left), they can perhaps jump into bronze.