DCA Marketing

Ron H

I think it comes down to the amount of time dedicated to making this happen. These take a lot of hours to do them well. If any corps is smart they'd have something like this on loop at their booths.

I agree. But I also think that is just an excuse. Countless hours are already devoted by members and staff to making a corps great. So why do so many corps ignore marketing?

I guess my point is that perhaps DCA corps need to pay more attention to the outside world. These kinds of videos can do a world of good for DCA.

Does ANY other DCA corps produce compelling content that might make, for example, a marching band member consider his/her future as being part of a DCA corps?

Edited by Ron H

CV has done some nice videos for recruiting that I've seen. Very honest and straightforward. You know you're gonna WORK, and work hard if you come on board, and that your hard work will be well worth it and you will be a better person for having experienced CV- at least that's the perception I had with their video.

All this being said:

The Cabs and Bucs have no problems recruiting through their normal channels and methods. They're not having problems filling their personnel needs.

"Does ANY other DCA corps produce compelling content that might make, for example, a marching band member consider his/her future as being part of a DCA corps?"

I would argue yes, the compelling content is the programs they present. One can have all the sizzle they want, but if there's no steak, who wants to climb on board? One certain corps put up a super-duper sizzly-sizzle feel-good teaser video about how great they were gonna be and how cool it was to be there a couple of years ago, and let's just say the end result I saw didn't live up to the uber-video hype.

Talk all the talk, hype all your hype, show me the substance. The best in this activity do exactly that.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

So, your argument is that corps need not produce compelling marketing materials. Got it.

Their limited appearances at shows with crowds of - at most - a couple thousand is sufficient to generate a long-term sustainable model for All-Age Corps. Thanks.

I would say, with all due respect Ron...CHILL!

I don't think BigW is saying that at all. If an organization feels they need that medium to attract adequate interest..great for them. If they don't...great for them. Obviously Bucs and Cabs and perhaps others aren't fielding 20 member drum corps. They are getting the participation they need form other means. Now, if you are saying that outside, non marching fans need that exposure, then it is a problem with the individual, not the organization. Drum Corps are in the business of long term sustainable membership. How they achieve that is completely their business...in my opinion.

If an individual needs that "fix" then I don't know of any corps that wouldn't welcome them to come check out a rehearsal or camp. Based on the performances that I have seen over my 4 years in DCA, I would say that the products pretty much speak for themselves.

As always, just my opinion.

Dan

• Like 2

Carolina Gold launched its latest program offering on October 18th, 2015, Carolina Gold Winds.

Look back with us at some of the moments from the birth of our latest ensemble.

Audition camp will be November 21st and 22nd, please visit www.carolinagold.org to register or for more information.

https://youtu.be/4Xn6Xt3Ht1Q

As an added note regarding 'getting out there', our periscope of small chunks of this morning's visual block had around 175 views so, given that it was several random chunks of live video of a Sunday morning basics session, that's a completely different way to grab a ton of eyeballs, especially given that it takes no more effort than hitting the live button on your cell phone.

-Larry

Yeah we pay people to design shows, teach shows, choreograph etc etc.... their talents are valued so we pay them but there are so many other jobs in the corps we expect people to do for free and most people do but among the thousand other things that a corps must pay for I don't know if movie production is high up the list. So let's not be overly critical of what hits or doesn't hit the internet. In our case at the Caballeros the people making our videos are members and drum majors, they work hard at it but also have many other responsibilities like practicing and performing a show. We all do the best we can with what we have to work with and those people are doing a great job.

• Like 3

There are two components that I see in this:

Saturation and Quality.

Encourage people to post short clips and videos online to saturate social media.

Use existing tools like iPhones/iPads and iMovie to create simple projects based on themes (for those who don't have skill or training). Even if you don't want to do that... just strap a GoPro to someone's head and record a run through or drum warm-up.

We need to see more videos, more often, and they need to be shared online. Also, from a promotional standpoint, it doesn't hurt to create videos for social media (if you have the staff) and spend a little bit promoting it on Facebook or Instagram. It can help get the word out on an initiative and at least put the corps in people's minds.

• Like 1

There are two components that I see in this:

Saturation and Quality.

Encourage people to post short clips and videos online to saturate social media.

Use existing tools like iPhones/iPads and iMovie to create simple projects based on themes (for those who don't have skill or training). Even if you don't want to do that... just strap a GoPro to someone's head and record a run through or drum warm-up.

We need to see more videos, more often, and they need to be shared online. Also, from a promotional standpoint, it doesn't hurt to create videos for social media (if you have the staff) and spend a little bit promoting it on Facebook or Instagram. It can help get the word out on an initiative and at least put the corps in people's minds.

BINGO.

A lot of the DCI corps do just that, and also do some final run-through of the day videos so people can actually see the base of the product without getting into issues with copyrights, etc. I'd have loved to have seen a snare cam for the Cabs this year when they got hoisted up, for instance, or a "Matt-Cam" for the Bucs on a run through just to get a feel for the velocity of that program.

There are other things on my mind on this subject but work is soon.

• Like 1

Marketing has to go far beyond each corps.. DCA itself needs to come into 2015. Gone are the days of the weekend pass time. DCA can't survive with this thinking. Corps themselves can stay the weekend only thing BUT DCA has to stop looking at themselves this way. IMO, there must be a full time paid employee working round the clock to create opportunities for revenue. These small videos clips are great and certainly serve a purpose but it is far from enough. We in this activity always thought with little appearances here and there that we were exposing ourselves to a wide market. We should have learned by now thats simply not nor ever has been the truth for the most part.

Is any exposure good/ Of course, Is it enough? Hardly!

IMO for DCA to continue it must be a business to go forward in the future. With DCA membership , younger and younger in recent years there are many opportunities to capitalize on this. I believe development in this area, thinking way out of the box and treating it like a business , with a business plan for growth is the ONLY way DCA goes forward.

• Like 4

I think you've got a problem in that case. It looks like DCA is very much a hands off type of approach as far as corps getting membership in the doors and butts into the seats of each corps show.

Heck, it can't seem to fill a small stadium for it's largest event of the season.

Its going to need to take a vested interest into EVERY ensemble it can gain exposure with. It needs to start polling groups about what it can do to help them fill their ranks and their stands.

• Like 2