DCA Marketing

Ron H

I partially agree with you. Yes DCA needs to figure out a way to increase attendance at all shows especially championship weekend. I don't agree with DCA assisting corps to "fill there ranks". That should be up to each individual corps. With travel issues aside, How do you propose doing this? A list of people interested in marching? I think they would search out different corps that suit what they are looking for. Or, people who have not made the cut at auditions from other corps? That would be ok except it probably (not definitely) would be an up hill struggle for the corps that takes them to be competitive with the corps that cut them. No easy answers here.

I partially agree with you. Yes DCA needs to figure out a way to increase attendance at all shows especially championship weekend.

this should be the prime objective,............how about providing models and support for show sponsors to seek local sponsorships that not only gets businesses and individuals an add in the program, but provides tickets to local community, senior, youth, even church groups, band programs, to put butts in seats,.............

• Like 2

Yes DCA needs to figure out a way to increase attendance at all shows.................

Historically and rationally it could be suggested the independent "show sponsor" is fully responsible for the attendance end..........after-all, it is the sponsor's event, not DCA's, as an association.

• Like 1

True, true, true Bill. But we have seen what the lack of assistance by DCA in improving attendance has produced and that's not good. I feel the parent organization needs to help the "associates" in "drum corps ASSOCIATES while it should continue be the sponsors responsibility. Corps that travel considerable distance to attend a show "usually" do not bring a fan base with them to improve attendance, so that doesn't help. I DO feel it is entirely DCA's responsibility to improve attendance for championship weekend. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

this should be the prime objective,............how about providing models and support for show sponsors to seek local sponsorships that not only gets businesses and individuals an add in the program, but provides tickets to local community, senior, youth, even church groups, band programs, to put butts in seats,.............

for starters, how about something as simple as getting a rolling feed from twitter or other social media on that darned website in the news section? corps post their information on twitter, and its easy to add to a website. how about posting news from the corps onto the DCA website. So when a corps updates their staff, post it to the DCA webpage, or at least post the link. DCI has a twitter feed that simply forwards information from ALL participating corps. so you get dates and places (as well as informative web links) to all the corps auditions, or staff changes. Anything to keep groups in the spotlight.

Think of it this way, when DCI was every corps and every show for itself, its attendance at events and auditions was going down every year.

When the corps decided to all buy in and become All for One and One for All, tickets and auditionee numbers rose.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 4

I agree. But I also think that is just an excuse. Countless hours are already devoted by members and staff to making a corps great. So why do so many corps ignore marketing?

I guess my point is that perhaps DCA corps need to pay more attention to the outside world. These kinds of videos can do a world of good for DCA.

Does ANY other DCA corps produce compelling content that might make, for example, a marching band member consider his/her future as being part of a DCA corps?

it's not just an excuse. when they have people already devoting so much time....and people have real jobs, families etc....eventually some people have to prioritize. Usually in any good organization, you have 10 or so people doing 85% of the work.

I agree DCA corps and the organization itself could do more, but I'm willing to cut a little bit of slack. No admin, corps or circuit, makes a full time living off of their corps like some in DCI do.

• Like 1

I would say, with all due respect Ron...CHILL!

I don't think BigW is saying that at all. If an organization feels they need that medium to attract adequate interest..great for them. If they don't...great for them. Obviously Bucs and Cabs and perhaps others aren't fielding 20 member drum corps. They are getting the participation they need form other means. Now, if you are saying that outside, non marching fans need that exposure, then it is a problem with the individual, not the organization. Drum Corps are in the business of long term sustainable membership. How they achieve that is completely their business...in my opinion.

If an individual needs that "fix" then I don't know of any corps that wouldn't welcome them to come check out a rehearsal or camp. Based on the performances that I have seen over my 4 years in DCA, I would say that the products pretty much speak for themselves.

As always, just my opinion.

Dan

Cabs do notjust rest on their laurels and rep to draw bodies. I saw them have a table at a TOB show in north central PA this past weekend, and had all kinds of video stuff playing. granted, they have growing ties to the area with staff and membership, but kids from many bands were checking it out every time I passed by it.When I have seen them at TOB's championships every year I can think of going back to the early 90's, they worked it. I've seen other corps show up at that event and just sit around and BS with people they know from their corps or other corps. When I've seen Bucs at shows they too have had engaging content. trust me, those two corps don't just sit back and wait for people to show up

• Like 6

So, your argument is that corps need not produce compelling marketing materials. Got it.

Their limited appearances at shows with crowds of - at most - a couple thousand is sufficient to generate a long-term sustainable model for All-Age Corps. Thanks.

Pat, quick! Ron needs a Snickers bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TkqNDPx-s