Cadets Guard vs. Crown Percussion

Guard trophies for BD: 84, 86, 90, 92, 95, 97, 98, 99, 03, 06, 08, 09,10,11,12,13,14,15. (In 2004, they won guard in Finals by 0.3. If captions were averaged, Green won. If not, throw this one on the pile.) Ironically, 84 and 86 were AGAINST great Scott Chandler/Spirit teams.

Before 1975 BD was not known for their top-3 finishes, either.

Well if that's not totally dominating a caption! Wow!!
  • Like 1

Not much new in Cadet percussion phone in with Colin MacNutt and Iain Moyer; several questions about Steven's grip, getting flams to 250 bpm, and front ensemble stuff.

http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1059-recap-percussion-talk-with-colin-and-iain Sounds like another great season for them.

Guard talk had even less new info despite new caption head.

Katie Hopkins will still be doing the movement, rifle line has to at least throw 7's, and various questions.

[i don't expect any major changes here until they change the corps' director, but that's IMHO.]

http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1058-recap-guard-talk-with-kristy

Edited by xandandl

Guard trophies for BD: 84, 86, 90, 92, 95, 97, 98, 99, 03, 06, 08, 09,10,11,12,13,14,15. (In 2004, they won guard in Finals by 0.3. If captions were averaged, Green won. If not, throw this one on the pile.) Ironically, 84 and 86 were AGAINST great Scott Chandler/Spirit teams.

Before 1975 BD was not known for their top-3 finishes, either.

Yes, its true, BD tends to do exceptionally well in ALL captions most years, Guard included.( Doing so allows them to dominate DCI Titles like no other Corps.).

That said, if you asked most people who were around in the 70's., 80's, what was BD most known for in a Corps section, the vast majority of people would not tell you that it was their.......... " Guard ". BD was like Crown back in the 70's, 80's... they were primarily known for their killer " Brass " lines ( with Percussion, some years too ). The difference however was that their Brass lines could position BD to be in the mix to Corps to win it all back then. If we used todays DCI scoring sheets back in 1980's for example, the 27th Lancers would have won at least 2 DCI Titles, imo, as their Guards were the gold standard back then. GE points could be had more from a killer Brass line ( or Drumline ) however back then.; Not as much today.. Just ask SCV how far a killer drumline gets you these days now.... or Crown in Brass, before they figured out that only a stellar Guard will give you the points on GE captions ( and the Visuals ) to put you in the conversation for a Title.

Edited by BRASSO

Agreed. My heart said Crown won but not their strongest performance. Bloo had electronic issues and if you use electronics, then that counts. I thought Cadets were phenomenal Saturday night and BD equally magical. I had it :

1. BD 2. Cadets 3. Crown 4. Bloo

but judges momentum in that last week was hard to shift.

Yea Crown had their best performance on Semi's. Had SCV not had that terrible mishap open they would have won percussion I think and then BD would not have won. Either way though it was a very tight race.

Mandarins have 8 DCI Championships :silly:

More than:

Cavaliers

Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Kingsmen

Crown

Star of Indiana

Under this criteria ,even the the Blue Devils B Corps have won more DCI Championships than the Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Kingsmen, Star of Indiana, Carolina Crown.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yea Crown had their best performance on Semi's. Had SCV not had that terrible mishap open they would have won percussion I think and then BD would not have won. Either way though it was a very tight race.

I don't know, drum scores were all over that week, SCV was 3 in semi's, 1st in prelims...BD's drum score kept climbing, going up almost 1/2 point over 3 days (spread from 19.1-19.8 by judge) and that's with the tenor fall and an up-tight finals run....feel the drum scores were more about judges preferences than what was on the field, Cadets had the best battery all week (and best snare book)

Simply reading the title of this, makes me think this would be the best backyard football game ever.

Simply reading the title of this, makes me think this would be the best backyard football game ever.

Generally, the Cadets don't play backyard football.

One of their drum majors Richard Chirichella was killed in a game against New Jersey neighbor-rival Hawthorne Muchachos in 1972.

Now if you want to talk this century DCI corps, a game of "ultimate frisbee" with the baritone and tuba lines would be more likely.

Edited by xandandl