Stanford Band at it again...

I managed to avoid this thread until today. Now that I have caught up, I am noticing a certain trend.

Which makes you a far, far better man than I.

Then again...don't brag. Being a better man than I am doesn't take a whole lot these days. Heck...my dog beat me to a "thank you" last night. :cool:

The Stanford band is totally classless and serves no purpose except to embarrass the marching community.

Oh Pleeeeese. Lets have some proper perspective here, ok ?

A quick google search shows that no less than 14 Band Directors in the US in the last year and a half alone were removed from their positions after being arrested and charged with sex and/or drug felonies ranging from inappropriate sexual communications with frosh boys all the way to rapes of females, cocaine possession. The Stanford Marching band shenanighans does not come remotely close to the " embarrassment " that all these shocking numbers of arrests of Band Directors is having with the public with the marching community. 14 Band Directors is WAY more than one would expect, and we can just imagine the numbers of Band Directors out there that havn't been caught yet. The Stanford Marching Band's marching style of campy schtick should be the least concern in the marching community, when we are witnessing these shocking numbers arrests of Band Directors of late and which regrettably seem to be occuring in the US on almost a monthly basis now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

A quick google search shows that no less than 14 Band Directors in the US in the last year and a half alone were removed from their positions after being arrested and charged with sex and/or drug felonies ranging from inappropriate sexual communications with frosh boys all the way to rapes of females, cocaine possession. The Stanford Marching band shenanighans does not come remotely close to the " embarrassment " that all these shocking numbers of arrests of Band Directors is having with the public with the marching community. 14 Band Directors is WAY more than one would expect, and we can just imagine the numbers of Band Directors out there that havn't been caught yet. The Stanford Marching Band's marching style of campy schtick should be the least concern in the marching community, when we are witnessing these shocking numbers arrests of Band Directors of late and which regrettably seem to be occuring in the US on almost a monthly basis now.

Amen.

This has been a problem for decades, B-man. It's made me scratch my head for decades now and wonder why they're not the clowns sorting packages and loading the trucks and why I'm not on a podium somewhere.

I'm not the best-looking or most charismatic gent, but I'm not into performing criminal behaviors with students. :ninja:

• Like 2

Spoken like a guy who hasn't experienced them in person. Did you read the Oklahoma band director's post several pages back? Is the behavior he describes just campy fun? And, yes, you do need to see them live to fully understand just what an embarrassment they are. Edited by HockeyDad

Spoken like a guy who hasn't experienced them in person. Did you read the Oklahoma band director's post several pages back? Is the behavior he describes just campy fun? And, yes, you do need to see them live to fully understand just what an embarrassment they are.

The problem is- the video of the Rose Bowl performance on the one link is from the blimp, and the audio is barely audible of the narration or the band.

I guess it's my personal thing, but if they were really bad or obnoxious I'd laugh and heckle the bejeezus out of it. :satisfied:

Fawber's story about BITD about the '79 corps that whipped Jesus on the 50 I guess is illuminating about how we handled stuff like that.

There I am, a 16 year old rookie watching the show with my jaw on the floor, and I was standing next to veteran Contra section leader John Close, who is also intently watching this all go down as Jesus gets whipped by the color guard to "39 Lashes".

I blurt out "Jesus Christ!!!!", then say, "Oh God, I didn't mean to make a funny like that!"

John looks back at me with a big grin, says,

"No you're right. 'Jezzus Christ!' !!!!" :satisfied:

• Like 1

people are so quickly "offended" these days - energy that could be better spent on practically anything else

Stanford is the "Adam Sandler" of University marching bands. There will always be those who feel the need to justify the performance (and who will attend them) but in the end, it's not funny.

• Like 2

The problem is- the video of the Rose Bowl performance on the one link is from the blimp, and the audio is barely audible of the narration or the band.

Very minor quibble, but though it's way-more-wide-angle than necessary, the one that's on YouTube and linked from NBC Sports was taken from a press box booth. First of all it's a static shot during the show, which a blimp perspective wouldn't be, but also, watch the end of the video when the camera is moved away, and you'll see the booth window frame..

Or maybe you saw a different video than I did which was even harder to make out. The booth one is lousy.

Regarding controversy, unless the Rose Bowl folks have written standards and these standards were violated, there really should not be a problem. As others have mentioned, there have been far more controversial and offensive shows. However I do have some issues with the show.

Stanford, you want to be non traditional, fine, you have been for a few years now. You want your own style, fine, but do it well. This show was just a mess, period. Musically it was sub par, it didn't look rehearsed, and it didn't look like anyone took performing it all that seriously. The design may have been non traditional, the execution was sloppy. A lesson Bridgemen and Velvet Knights taught not just drum corps but bands as well is you have have a funny, non traditional, and at times in your face show and still be precise and maintain some degree of excellence.