Stanford Band at it again...

I suppose if your not a college football fan you probably didn't hear about this yesterday, but the Stanford Band, who has a history of poor taste shows did it again yesterday to IOWA, which I am a big fan of. The Band Director should be fired for this. What a classless act. Glad the BIG10 College bands have respect.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/stanford-cardinal-band-road-game-ban-travel

Eh I think people are making too big of a deal about it. Gotta have fun sometimes. Military style bands can get boring.

I think of drum corps as a serious affair while college marching bands to be more of a fun thing.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 5

I was born, raised, and currently still live in an area which can commonly be referred to as being "cow country." Though not being a farm boy in my youth, a large majority of my friends in my formative years were exactly that -- farm boys. I happened to watch yesterday's game with a number of my past and current friends -- many of which were either farm boys in their youth or currently farm as an occupation. Let me assure you -- there was no greater amount of laughter than that which came from those farm-associated mouths. They saw it for what it was...a gentle, harmless needling relating to an opponent. I would suggest that there very well could have been far more offensive and egregious things said on the field of play by some of the players than what was exhibited at halftime. But in a heavily sports-addicted society, things such as trash talking, posturing, taunting, and other forms of "unsportsmanlike" behavior have not only become somewhat the norm, but socially accepted as well, all without broad-based societal outcries for the offenders to be "fired." Hypocrisy reigneth.

Well said

Here's my verdict: I respect the Stanford Band and its members; however, I'm just not a fan of scramble/scatter bands in general. IMO, they just come off as tacky at many of their appearances. Consider the fact that the Stanford Band has played in 3 of the past 4 Rose Bowl Parades. They bewilder TV announcers every time. And the Stanford Band has no director, per se. It is entirely student-run. So if the students are under fire, there won't be any pressure placed on the director because there simply is no director.

I do have one question: Why do we criticize the Stanford Band members for being classless and disrespectful when we see halftime shows that make fun of their rivals time and time again? (For example, Ohio State's antics against Michigan among others, and Michigan's "Script Ohno").

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 4

Psssst... Highwaydude... there's something you should know about performers like Stanford's MB... Kanye... etc. etc... like the Dark Side, they only grow stronger/thrive on hate. The best response if you don't like them... ignore them rather than post/rant/rave. They think people who don't get their sense of humor are absolutely hilarious. Come to think of it, the same could be said for Bridgemen and Velvet Knights.

• Like 2

If you want to see How Comody can can be done with Class. Go To You Tube. Punch in Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. Watch as Thousands of people in the Stands go crazy. Take special noye as A Great White Eats the Opera singer at one WELL DONE

• Like 1

Yes, but... much like Stanford's marching band, etc., there were plenty of hard-core drum corps fans back in the day who did not get VK or Bridgemen and thought they were inappropriate to the military traditions of drum & bugle corps. During finale one year, DCI's championships show director went out on the field and yanked away VK's beach chairs, to crowd boos.

Which is my point: humor is personal. If you don't get it, that's fine, but making a scene is the reaction some artists want. Their attitude: much better to annoy than to bore.

• Like 2

The Iowa fans were NOT boooing...they were BLOOOOing....

There was a cow in Stanford's show, so they were actually mooing.
  • Like 2