Changes with Bristol parade, changes for corps...

With the shift of the Bristol annual contest to Cranston, there is also a shift to the Bristol parade festiviities.

Many fewer corps will be participating according to Rhode Island media. The parade route was even proposed to be shortened. (The vote was later reversed.)

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20160120/OPINION/160129980 and http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2016/01/in-the-news-parade-fury/

"Some of the impetus to shorten the parade came from groups that declined invitations to march this year. In the past, numerous drum and bugle corps traditionally entered a competition in Bristol, held the night before the parade. That competition has now been moved by Drum Corps International to a larger venue in Cranston, and will take place July 5. That means the bands will no longer be in Bristol on the eve of the parade, conveniently situated to march the next day. Reportedly, only two of the seven corps that marched last year will join the parade this year." [my emphasis]

Bristol and July fourth was always a day when present day (modern) drum corps touched base with drum corps history of the past, locals, and fans.

But now there are performances and contests even that night. And money to be made in ways other than as an Americana parade corps.

Are we getting too big for our britches ?(Revolutionary War image deliberately chosen.)

With the shift of the Bristol annual contest to Cranston, there is also a shift to the Bristol parade festiviities.

Many fewer corps will be participating according to Rhode Island media. The parade route was even proposed to be shortened. (The vote was later reversed.)

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20160120/OPINION/160129980 and http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2016/01/in-the-news-parade-fury/

"Some of the impetus to shorten the parade came from groups that declined invitations to march this year. In the past, numerous drum and bugle corps traditionally entered a competition in Bristol, held the night before the parade. That competition has now been moved by Drum Corps International to a larger venue in Cranston, and will take place July 5. That means the bands will no longer be in Bristol on the eve of the parade, conveniently situated to march the next day. Reportedly, only two of the seven corps that marched last year will join the parade this year." [my emphasis]

Bristol and July fourth was always a day when present day (modern) drum corps touched base with drum corps history of the past, locals, and fans.

But now there are performances and contests even that night. And money to be made in ways other than as an Americana parade corps.

Are we getting too big for our britches ?(Revolutionary War image deliberately chosen.)

Let's be real blunt and honest here: July fourth was always a day when present day (modern) drum corps made extra easy-ish money by marching in parades. If a parade is not convenient to a corps' schedule/needs, then why do it?

I marched in that parade twice in the late 90's. The folks on the route were generally cool and appreciative, but no parade is fun, per say, from a member or staff standpoint. We did several other things to "touch base with corps history of the past (is there any type of history :mellow: ), locals, and fans," as to many of the corps now-a-days. While this is surely a bummer for the locals and organizers, schedules and logistics change and there isn't much that can be done about that

Let's be real blunt and honest here: July fourth was always a day when present day (modern) drum corps made extra easy-ish money by marching in parades. If a parade is not convenient to a corps' schedule/needs, then why do it?

I marched in that parade twice in the late 90's. The folks on the route were generally cool and appreciative, but no parade is fun, per say, from a member or staff standpoint. We did several other things to "touch base with corps history of the past (is there any type of history :mellow: ), locals, and fans," as to many of the corps now-a-days. While this is surely a bummer for the locals and organizers, schedules and logistics change and there isn't much that can be done about that

If I remember correctly, you didn't march a corps from the original 13 States did you?

I guess we who are addicted to Del's lemonade, chorizos, New England clam chowdah, the perfumed aroma of low tide, and clam cakes have a different take than the johnny-come- lately crowd. :tounge2:

If I remember correctly, you didn't march a corps from the original 13 States did you?

I guess we who are addicted to Del's lemonade, chorizos, New England clam chowdah, the perfumed aroma of low tide, and clam cakes have a different take than the johnny-come- lately crowd. :tounge2:

What about Moxie?

Ha

Well, I did grow up/spent half my life in Ohio (which, admittedly, is only the 17th state). I also really really like New England clam chowdah if that makes a difference

Ha

Well, I did grow up/spent half my life in Ohio (which, admittedly, is only the 17th state). I also really really like New England clam chowdah if that makes a difference

Personally, my favorite clam chowder is Rhode Island style, as I am not a fan of creamed soups...

10eat3-articleLarge.jpg