Blue Knights 2016

RPK

So peeps at the Great Event- How was it??

Anyone know if the show will be finished by the Fresno show?

So peeps at the Great Event- How was it??

Understandably rough...according to my two-year vet son. To my uneducated ear...pretty ###### good.

They have a circular tarp in the middle of the field with a stylized "world" printed on it and all of the brass and color guard start the show standing on it...kind of like that "spaceship" sequence in Avian. They do some pretty cool dance and movement stuff and then run to various parts of the field, pick up instruments and bust out with Gorgon. Gorgon in freaking intense and sets the initial tone of the show.

They only did about the first five minutes of the show, including one part of their Goldenthal medley's. They did a bit more in a standstill. During the standstill, they played the voice over with the Cohen Great Event lyrics. It had the same digital-kind of voice. I think it sounded like the direct lyrics and voice from the Cohen piece. I expect they'll change that in some way for rights reasons. And, of course, they ended their show with "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You".

The guard have interesting two-part uni's. There is a skin-tight part in four different color schemes. Some of the guard have a bluish theme, some yellow, peach and green. Over that, they all have a sparkly, kind of voluminous, jumper thing with a sparkly mask that covers the lower half of their faces. I'm guessing they'll shed the outer layer at some point in the show. They only had one kind of flag in this portion of their show...a striking red w/yellow flame-like pattern. It looked really cool.

Mark Arnold was clear that what we saw tonight will bear little resemblance to what we'll see at DATR or at finals. Besides inevitable changes in music and drill, they'll also have props of some kind. He didn't describe them.

I know that people have spoken a lot about the drum line and their music. It really does sound as awesome as people said. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be the highest scoring part of their show.

So, Wes, I hope this helps to give you an idea what BK has in store for us (in spite of my limited descriptive writing abilities).

Oh...I forgot to add that the previous post with the Periscope links give some decent "in the lot" sounds and a good look at the uniforms. The age-out dogtag video even shows the guard uni's.

Edited by Herk
  • Like 1

Thanks for your very detailed review. A good friend of mine told me that they are scary good. So excited to see them, Stanford cannot get here soon enough!!

Very much like what Herk said. They played about the first 5 minutes. I feel as if this show will be much like "That one second" where they learn the bare bones of the show first and flesh it out throughout the season, adding meaning and effect. The opener with the tarp is very cool and it will be even better as it gets cleaner. The entrance into Gorgon is sudden and sets the mood for the show immediately. Uniforms work very well from the stands. The goldenthal is sounding good and I'm very excited to see how the show unfolds throughout the season. I wanted to get footage tonight but unfortunately my audio wasn't working. Thanks technology.