Use of GPS for props

DCI and WGI have different rules sets.

I'm well aware, I just wondering if the thought had even come across anyone's mind before this was done. This is one of those things I can see not getting a rule change until someone attempted it (See: BOA, DCI and WGI with drones after Tarpon Springs in 2014).

I'm well aware, I just wondering if the thought had even come across anyone's mind before this was done. This is one of those things I can see not getting a rule change until someone attempted it (See: BOA, DCI and WGI with drones after Tarpon Springs in 2014).

I'd think that even if you set the accuracy issues aside, the programming would be an absolute nightmare. Especially since corps wouldn't have early access to many venues.

Absolutely, which is why GPS would be a terrible way to do this. There are far better ways (motors with a pre-programmed set of directions to get to their sets, optic sensors to sense yard lines etc) to get the same job done, if you want to remove the members' responsibility entirely. There is the precedent though of a group using a member to control the props remotely, which is what we've seen on the WGI side. Would it be worth it? Honestly, I'm not sure. Could have been a wonderful added effect in shows like SCV '15, though I understand that there was already more electronics than many older fans would have liked in that show. I think if this rule were to ever go away, we could see a group or two mess around with it every year, but I hesitate to say that self-moving props would ever become the norm. The monetary investment and technical expertise required would just not be worth it for the fractions of a GE point you could get using this over regular methods of movement.

What would be interesting is, if you were somehow able to program the show and have the stage run through a program based on starting point on the field, how you would account for environmental factors. For instance, will artificial turf vs. actual grass result in the same travel time/distance? What about wet grass/turf versus dry/hot/windy conditions? Can picture a stage just sitting and spinning its wheels on wet turf because they can't get enough traction and literally destroying a show.

What would be interesting is, if you were somehow able to program the show and have the stage run through a program based on starting point on the field, how you would account for environmental factors. For instance, will artificial turf vs. actual grass result in the same travel time/distance? What about wet grass/turf versus dry/hot/windy conditions? Can picture a stage just sitting and spinning its wheels on wet turf because they can't get enough traction and literally destroying a show.

I feel like you would need something with treads to ensure movement on all surfaces. That being said, some venues would probably not like the idea. Remember when Bluecoats couldn't use their field liner in 2014 at PPL in Chester because it could burn the grass in the field? If that was a no-go, having a brigade of props with tank-esque treads could really create a whole new realm of problems with planning for individual stadiums. If a stadium did not allow the use of the motorized units on the field, would that detract from GE scores at that location?

That's the issue I was saying about dead reckoning. It lacks any sort of correction for external variables.

On a related note... I think I have a good idea for my Senior Design project...

I feel like you would need something with treads to ensure movement on all surfaces. That being said, some venues would probably not like the idea. Remember when Bluecoats couldn't use their field liner in 2014 at PPL in Chester because it could burn the grass in the field? If that was a no-go, having a brigade of props with tank-esque treads could really create a whole new realm of problems with planning for individual stadiums. If a stadium did not allow the use of the motorized units on the field, would that detract from GE scores at that location?

My thought as well, but they could just treat it as they do tarps and march propless or with a stationary prop set up when on real grass or slick conditions (rain). Bluecoats left it up to individual members whether to go up the ramps or not when weather conditions were not great for Tilt. I saw that show at Ft. Wayne after a rain storm when stuff was still wet and recall there was at least one tenor that didn't go on the ramp for the feature where they tilt the ramps while they play.

So thinking of tracking mechanisms, imagine a device that could be worn on the hat that could track each marching members position and velocity, and provide feedback as to how close they are to their dot when learning drill. You would input the dot book, provide the tempo and the starting set, and then run the rep. At the end, you could look at who was moving too fast and when, or who was taking the wrong path. For the non dot to dot drill it wouldn't work, but for a good chunk of the drill I could see it really helping clean faster and more efficiently, and take away a lot of the guess work of stepping off your set...

So thinking of tracking mechanisms, imagine a device that could be worn on the hat that could track each marching members position and velocity, and provide feedback as to how close they are to their dot when learning drill. You would input the dot book, provide the tempo and the starting set, and then run the rep. At the end, you could look at who was moving too fast and when, or who was taking the wrong path. For the non dot to dot drill it wouldn't work, but for a good chunk of the drill I could see it really helping clean faster and more efficiently, and take away a lot of the guess work of stepping off your set...

OOOooohhh what if it vibrated when you weren't on your dot-path! You could clean drill super clean. Or, you could put an actual drill in a helmet! So many possibilities when you ignore reality lol