Model Percussion Book?

That is probably THE best percussion resource book for educators, arrangers, etc. I've ever seen. Even as a percussionist/educator myself, that book is a continual resource for me. If I was teaching in college I would say this book should be the Percussion Methods textbook, and every high school band director needs to own this!

This is also an incredible book: http://www.tapspace.com/books/fresh-perspectives-for-the-modern-drumline/

Co-written by Casella, this is sort of the battery version of Up-Front (written first, IIRC). The first 30 or so pages is about technique for the battery voices, and the last 50 pages or so are about battery arranging technique. This is another must-own for anyone serious about learning the art of battery arranging

I agree, an absolutely fantastic resource.

Have the fresh perspectives book too, love it.

all of the above mentioned. and tapspace is a treasure trove

My son teaches 3 lines for Mike Jackson (front ensemble) and two of them won the NCBA and on took silver in NCPA.

I really like the stuff he writes and am looking forward to seeing what BK has in store for us this year.

• 7 years later...

Reading this 7 years later and my brain is all "still the best names in the game"

Anything by Hannum, Rennick or Hardimon.

AND, I really miss Jim and Murray in DCI. 

All of the above wrote MUSIC for percussion that made the winds sound better. They resisted the "dig me" approach that sometimes permeates our activity. Their "music first" approach is one reason they stacked up so many trophies in their career.

Edited by seinphan
auto-correct gone wrong

2 hours ago, seinphan said:

Anything by Hannum, Rennick or Hardimon.

AND, I really miss Jim and Murray in DCI. 

All of the above wrote MUSIC for percussion that made the winds sound better. They resisted the "dig me" approach that sometimes permeates our activity. Their "music first" approach is one reason they stacked up so many trophies in their career.

wasn't Jim involved with Boston to some degree last year?