Visual Proficiency

So many great performances over the years, but a few stand out. I wonder which would "win" if these corps/years competed on the same night (with 4 or 5 judges scooting around in there):

1985 SCV (9.9/10 in finals) --- Watch the white shoes. Yowza! Who was their main tech? Charlie Something?

1988 Scouts (14.9/15) --- Other than Brass GE, this pushed them over the top.

1989 Phantom (14.9) --- Wow. Just wow.

1995 BD (10/10 in QF; 9.9 Finals) --- Meh... ok.

1998 Cadets (10/10) --- Reminds me of 2005's feet.

2005 Cadets (19.8/20) --- (look up)

2011 Cadets (19.8) --- Amazing feat for them...given their velocity, they swept the caption Thurs-Sat.

2014 BD (20) --- It's practically error-free (0.3 spread over Cadets). They just move more than '85 SCV.

There are more, of course. Troopers/PR in the 1970s; SCV 1984 (basically as crisp as '85).

• Like 1

So many great performances over the years, but a few stand out. I wonder which would "win" if these corps/years competed on the same night (with 4 or 5 judges scooting around in there):

1985 SCV (9.9/10 in finals) --- Watch the white shoes. Yowza! Who was their main tech? Charlie Something?

1988 Scouts (14.9/15) --- Other than Brass GE, this pushed them over the top.

1989 Phantom (14.9) --- Wow. Just wow.

1995 BD (10/10 in QF; 9.9 Finals) --- Meh... ok.

1998 Cadets (10/10) --- Reminds me of 2005's feet.

2005 Cadets (19.8/20) --- (look up)

2011 Cadets (19.8) --- Amazing feat for them...given their velocity, they swept the caption Thurs-Sat.

2014 BD (20) --- It's practically error-free (0.3 spread over Cadets). They just move more than '85 SCV.

There are more, of course. Troopers/PR in the 1970s; SCV 1984 (basically as crisp as '85).

It's an interesting though, but I don't think that shows from vastly different areas would win if they were all on the same night, technique and design are too different.

I think you'd have to go with BD 2014, because not only were they so proficient visually, but it also did a phenomenal job of integrating the music and visual together throughout the show. That is why I think that show would get the nod above the others.

I think its a nice speculation as to who would win if these different decades Corps competed against each other. I would like to know which judging system we would utilize, as that would be paramount to know right from the beginning.. and probably would help us as to who might prevail in this speculative head to head competition with one another. Clearly, most of these Corps would alter their show considerably to fit the judging system we decide to use to fairly compare. The DCI Judging system utilized in 1985 in DCI for example was vastly different than the one DCI utilized in the following decades. As such, the Corps listed here from the late 90's would get buried ( on penalties alone ) in competition with the earlier decades Corps if these more recent Corps and their productions were subjected to the 1985 DCI judging system utilized that the 80's DCI Corps performed and competed under. Conversely, the 80's Corps would get buried today in scores as well compared with later decades Corps, if they were subjected to todays DCI adopted Judging System.

Wilt Chamberlain... a Center... once scored 100 points in an NBA Basketball game. But at the time the NBA had no 5 second rule for Centers in the paint. Would he score 100 points today in a game, if we used today's NBA rules ? No chance, imo. Last nite Kobe Bryant.. a Forward... scored 60 points for the LA Lakers in his final NBA career game. But would he have scored 60 points in his game last nite if we utilized the NBA rules from Wilt Chamberlain's era ? Not a chance. As in Chamberlain's NBA era, there was no such thing as a 3 point shot, and so Bryant A) would not have taken as many of those 3 point shots last nite, and B) he would have altered his shot selection last nite if he was made to play under the NBA rules from Chamberlain's NBA era. In summary then, tell me what the rules of competition we would be utilizing, and I'll tell you who would probably prevail in head to head competition, as all competitors can be expected to adapt themselves in preparation and practice accordingly to those rules of competition that all will understand are to be utilized in the judged competition.

Edited by BRASSO

Bets M&M, Regiment 1980 (they won the caption while in 5th so you know it’s was good, one of the best marched shows)

Best Feet, Madison 1988, can’t help but to watch them, the feet suck you in

Best Marching modern, Cadets 2005, and the art of clean

For the win, Regiment 1980; controlled, clean and disciplined

• Like 1

Wilt Chamberlain... a Center... once scored 100 points in an NBA Basketball game. But at the time the NBA had no 5 second rule for Centers in the paint.

It's three seconds for any defensive player in the paint who is not actively guarding an offensive player.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I think you'd have to go with BD 2014, because not only were they so proficient visually, but it also did a phenomenal job of integrating the music and visual together throughout the show. That is why I think that show would get the nod above the others.

I agree... a seamless production, and virtually flawless.

It's three seconds for any defensive player in the paint who is not actively guarding an offensive player.

Give me 2 seconds to think if its a 3 second or a 5 second requirement.

Times up. You're are correct, good Man.

Give me 2 seconds to think if its a 3 second or a 5 second requirement.

Times up. You're are correct, good Man.

The three-second rule. One of the most "look the other way" rules in sports history. :tongue:

Man... there were times in the 1980s when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar pretty much camped out in the lane, and was rarely called for it. LOL.

• Like 1

The three-second rule. One of the most "look the other way" rules in sports history. :tongue:

Man... there were times in the 1980s when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar pretty much camped out in the lane, and was rarely called for it. LOL.

Haha....true. Robert Parish ( Boston Celtics ) used to introduce Kareem to a well placed elbow on him whenever he tried to saunder into the middle in the old Boston Gahhhden ( haha! ) 2 great players however, going at it in the middle.

Incidentally, the legendary Bill Russell, now into his 80's, looking a bit frail and not sure of his balance afoot anymore, was in Boston this week to watch the Red Sox Opener, and then last nite, the Celtics come from 26 points down to beat the Miami Heat, and their qualifying for the playoffs. Russell was something else in his day. 2 Championships in College, and 11 NBA titles in 13 seasons with the Celtics.

Anyway, what the hell is this thread topic again on ? ok, ok ' nuff of that.. back to to " Visual Profiency ", and sorry for the temporary off ramp exit detour...........

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1