Who are today's "stars"?

My response, any staff that walks into a burning building and turns that s### around.

Some efforts in my drum corps life time:

1987 Regiment

2003 Scouts

2011-13 Spirit of Atlanta

I wish I knew names to give. These weren't slight adjustments, but saved from total destruction scenarios. BRAVO!

Add to that list Jason Buckingham, et al. Blue Knights late 90's, a Troopers run at some point, Colts mid 2000's, Crossmen 2011-2012 (and 13). They are ones who make a difference.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 2011-2012 Spirit guys went to Crossmen in 2013.

Any time a staff goes into a situation where things are going horribly and where one more terrible season could end up folding a corps, that definitely takes some guts and a love for the activity.

• Like 1

This most definitely. If you go back through the pages of this thread, you'll notice that the vast majority of the names people mentioned of MM's are/were drum majors. The reason being is those are the names that you hear from multiple years of announcements. Ok, so what? Just because they are a drum major for multiple years doesn't necessarily make them a star within the corps. (Not saying that those names mentioned here didn't have an impact on their respective corps.) I bet if you were to go around corps to corps and ask the current members to name the top 5-10 "stars" of the past decade at their corps, you'll get a lot of names of people who weren't drum majors, but the people who were brass/drum/guard captains who had an influential impact on the corps, people who marched 5-8 years at a corps and didn't go elsewhere, but were never drum major. Sometimes these are the names that current members within a corps will remember/know more than the drum majors, who those of us on the other side of things don't hear year after year like the drum majors. More and more corps nowadays are holding open auditions for drum majors, so just because you hear their name 2-3 years in a row doesn't mean they are one of the "stars" of the current corps. They might be a 2nd year drum major age-out standing next to 6-8 other age-outs who marched 6 years each in the hornline.

Ok, rant over.

No.. its not " a rant ", imo, and you make some valid points in your reply to my remarks. The DCI DM's of today do tend to get the vast majority of the ink when its the marcher's names we most often hear of.

My (short) list off top

Current:

Javier from BD

Brandon from BD

Ben Gunnarson from Bloo

Past:

Sally Ware from Crown

Daniel Reeves from BD

Felix Cruz from BD

Add to that list Jason Buckingham, et al. Blue Knights late 90's, a Troopers run at some point, Colts mid 2000's, Crossmen 2011-2012 (and 13). They are ones who make a difference.

Any time a staff goes into a situation where things are going horribly and where one more terrible season could end up folding a corps, that definitely takes some guts and a love for the activity.

Not busting on you and not to denigrate what these people offered to a corps...but how does this make them a star? As defined earlier in the thread. There are lots of people who have done what you've described that would not see themselves as a "star" nor would many of their peers I suspect.

My (short) list off top

Current:

Javier from BD

Brandon from BD

Ben Gunnarson from Bloo

Past:

Sally Ware from Crown

Daniel Reeves from BD

Felix Cruz from BD

So to say they are a "star" would mean these MM's are well known throughout DCI by other MM's. Is that accurate? If someone were to go to another MM in another corps, and you mentioned any one of these MM's, they would be either recognized by name and/or by reputation right away? I'm not saying they aren't but I think putting the tag of "star" on someone means they are near the top of the "known" pyramid. Four from one corps is a lot. But hey this is just my interpretation of a "star". And.. a "star" today is certainly helped by social media as another poster pointed out. And maybe that might lead to more "stars" today than BITD. Edited by LabMaster

My (short) list off top

Current:

Javier from BD

Brandon from BD

Ben Gunnarson from Bloo

Past:

Sally Ware from Crown

Daniel Reeves from BD

Felix Cruz from BD

Is Ben that white trumpet guy with the goatee that has the flugel solo in Great Gig? Because I've seen him everywhere haha

Andy Putnam - Spirit brass until 13 and now he's with BAC

Another past "star" from recently in the percussion circle would be Ralph Nader with BD..now of BYOS fame.

Another past "star" from recently in the percussion circle would be Ralph Nader with BD..now of BYOS fame.