The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

Congrats to first time finalist Academy. What a great show. I think the thing that stands out to me this year was the fact EVERYONE was amazing and great this year. Definitely the best from 1st to 38th place that I have ever seen. So many enjoyable shows. So to make finals this year is extremely special in my opinion. And it was well deserved. I know it will be tough to stay in finals with the competition level of everyone, especially with Boston and Madison probably fighting to stay in finals, and get back into finals. But this year you were one of the two top stories, with Bluecoats winning being the other one. And from the people in the stands you were in the top 5 favorites this year by most people, and in the top 3 by many. I actually really had a hard time this year picking my favorite show, as everyone was so enjoyable this year. I really hope you guys keep up the entertaining style of show you performed this year, regardless of whether you might place in finals again or not. I may be in the minority, but I would rather see a show like this that doesn't make finals, than a show that is boring, but designed to make finals. And one of the nicest things was how appreciative the kids seemed to be of the people who were congratulating them during the week. Such a great group of kids, although you can probably say that about 99% of the kids in the activity. Best of luck to Academy in the future. And this was my favorite show ever by Academy, which the previous was 2006 when they won DII.

• Like 5

Congrats to first time finalist Academy. What a great show. I think the thing that stands out to me this year was the fact EVERYONE was amazing and great this year. Definitely the best from 1st to 38th place that I have ever seen. So many enjoyable shows. So to make finals this year is extremely special in my opinion. And it was well deserved. I know it will be tough to stay in finals with the competition level of everyone, especially with Boston and Madison probably fighting to stay in finals, and get back into finals. But this year you were one of the two top stories, with Bluecoats winning being the other one. And from the people in the stands you were in the top 5 favorites this year by most people, and in the top 3 by many. I actually really had a hard time this year picking my favorite show, as everyone was so enjoyable this year. I really hope you guys keep up the entertaining style of show you performed this year, regardless of whether you might place in finals again or not. I may be in the minority, but I would rather see a show like this that doesn't make finals, than a show that is boring, but designed to make finals. And one of the nicest things was how appreciative the kids seemed to be of the people who were congratulating them during the week. Such a great group of kids, although you can probably say that about 99% of the kids in the activity. Best of luck to Academy in the future. And this was my favorite show ever by Academy, which the previous was 2006 when they won DII.

I concur, The Academy's 2006 "Danzon" was absolutely awesome. I got to tour with them that year, the weekend in Madison, at Camp Randall was magical. Along with winning Gold in their first National tour, along with the "Spirit of Disney" Award, and Mark Richardson being named Division II Corps Director of the year was incredible. and Here 10 years later, Mark receives the same award as Executive Director of the year for his 1st year as a # 11 World Class Finalist. No more Disney Awards, but still very "Magical" in the Kingdom of DCI. Thank you for the kind and most appreciative words MisterA.

So with Townsend headed to Boston Crusaders, does that mean he is done with The Academy? I know one staff member is not what a corps is made of, but as program coordinator he was probably a big voice in their last three shows. Happy for Boston, but I am going to be incredibly upset if that means he is done with The Academy.

Hate it when a corps on the rise loses someone to another corps.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

So with Townsend headed to Boston Crusaders, does that mean he is done with The Academy? I know one staff member is not what a corps is made of, but as program coordinator he was probably a big voice in their last three shows. Happy for Boston, but I am going to be incredibly upset if that means he is done with The Academy.

Hate it when a corps on the rise loses someone to another corps.

As far as we know, Townsend is still going to do the gig with Academy.

• Like 1

I don't know if this was said by anyone previously, but Academy did this with only 50 veterans and only 11 age outs.

Nope! Don't think anyone has said that, that's pretty awesome. Hope a lot of them stick around, I definitely would in that situation.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

As far as we know, Townsend is still going to do the gig with Academy.

I heard that everyone at Boston had to sign an exclusive deal with Boston, no teaching other drum corps. I would be shocked if they are allowing him to do that. The Academy did just beat Boston. Although the very thought of academy replacing him breaks my heart..:-(

I would hope with the academy's heightened exposure and rise into finals that it would not be something so easily let go of.

Leaving Crown and Academy..... for Boston. Arguably two of the most loved shows this summer, the best guard in DCI. That's a lot to give up. I'm sad. I'm sure he will do great things at Boston. But crown and academy will not be the same without him.

I heard that everyone at Boston had to sign an exclusive deal with Boston, no teaching other drum corps. I would be shocked if they are allowing him to do that. The Academy did just beat Boston. Although the very thought of academy replacing him breaks my heart..:-(

I would hope with the academy's heightened exposure and rise into finals that it would not be something so easily let go of.

Leaving Crown and Academy..... for Boston. Arguably two of the most loved shows this summer, the best guard in DCI. That's a lot to give up. I'm sad. I'm sure he will attempt great things at Boston. But crown and academy will not be the same without him.

I fixed it for you. :P

So long as Michael Klesch writes the music still for Academy ( and he will.. into 2017 anyway ), I believe that at the very least, there is a good chance that Academy will be as entertaining as ever next season.

Leaving Crown and Academy..... for Boston. Arguably two of the most loved shows this summer, the best guard in DCI. That's a lot to give up. I'm sad. I'm sure he will successfully do great things at Boston. But crown and academy will not be the same without him.

I fixed it for you. :P

Fixed it for you cape crusader :P