Are there ANY (legal) online alternatives to buying DVDs?

To go with C Hollands comments I can think of a few FB corps related groups that I'm surprised have not been hit with copyright violations. Guess they haven't hit the big boys yet, just a few holders of older recordings. Shame as one guy was using the money he made to clean up recordings that Fleetwood or DCW does not own. He has stated he is done spending money and working to clean up only to see it set up for download on the FB group he belongs to.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Alumni of many organizations of DCI have been posting vids of their shows recently, even into their own alumni pages. they've all been warned that social media is being watched pretty closely now. And that repercussions can be passed back onto the corps themselves.

A shame? Seriously? What the heck do you want? You want it for free and you don't want anyone to go out of business while getting it? Correct? How the heck does that even make sense? Music is a business. Just because you can't hold it in your hand doesn't make it a tangible item. Dig through Youtube, there's still stuff out there, just don't repost it anywhere. And don't call attention to it. If you do, DCA, the corps that performed it, and the person who recorded and posted it could all suffer some pretty large consequences.

You're completely right, but it's still very unfortunate for all parties that DCA and the licensors can't come to terms.* The rights holders are getting nothing from illicit Youtube videos (when those even exist). Surely there are many fans like me, who would gladly pay to legally own and/or stream copies of "Twist It", "The Red Square", "Mad Circus", "Unchained", etc. from last year--really all the Finalists (at least), right down to Hurricanes' "After Hours", which they performed the heck out of that night (they were scored too low).

*And not just DCA, of course. If, say, Troopers and Academy don't make Finals, it's going to be awful not to able to see their 2015 shows again (if DCI once more only offers the top twelve on DVD).

If they want to fix the problem, they need to find a third party that can operate and manage an online streaming site where fans can pay per view each corps. But it means less income for dci/dca from it. Which they may not be a fan of.

look....with no feed, for the first time since conception I'll miss DCA finals. since 1968, i've been at or able to watch at home. it sucks, but as the father of a 4 year old, i'm not dragging her to Rochester, as she won't sit still to watch the shows and will #### off everyone around her, and i'm not ditching the family. I hate it, I have the shakes already....and it is what it is.

Hopefully DCA can figure out a way to make it happen in a cost effective manner for as long as they are up there. If they don't, well, sucks to be me. I don't like it, but it is what it is

look....with no feed, for the first time since conception I'll miss DCA finals. since 1968, i've been at or able to watch at home. it sucks, but as the father of a 4 year old, i'm not dragging her to Rochester, as she won't sit still to watch the shows and will #### off everyone around her, and i'm not ditching the family. I hate it, I have the shakes already....and it is what it is.

Hopefully DCA can figure out a way to make it happen in a cost effective manner for as long as they are up there. If they don't, well, sucks to be me. I don't like it, but it is what it is

I guess my point is, "sucks to be a lot of people" and also, "it is what it is, but it shouldn't be what it is."

I guess my point is, "sucks to be a lot of people" and also, "it is what it is, but it shouldn't be what it is."

with the challenges in licensing right now, given DCA's business model...I have no idea how they could make it work without bankrupting the circuit.

with the challenges in licensing right now, given DCA's business model...I have no idea how they could make it work without bankrupting the circuit.

They would have to turn over the rights to a third party company that would be interested in handling everything, and paying them a very minuscule fee for each video. that company could handle it like iTunes or Netflix, or pay pay per view/on demand (for you comcast subscribers out there) where you pay a fee per rental, and you have access to the video for 24 hours.

• Like 1

They would have to turn over the rights to a third party company that would be interested in handling everything, and paying them a very minuscule fee for each video. that company could handle it like iTunes or Netflix, or pay pay per view/on demand (for you comcast subscribers out there) where you pay a fee per rental, and you have access to the video for 24 hours.

and the company they had willing to go there walked away