Drum Corps shows that could have won

I love that Crown show. I listen to it the most out of 2014s field. Just fantastically flawed.

Definitely not disagreeing, but what exactly was wrong with it? I wasn't on these forums for 2014 really

My list, might say why if people start attacking me. :p

Carolina Crown 2015

Bluecoats 2015 (might have to explain)

Blue Devils 2013

Blue Devils 2008

Blue Devils 2004

Cavaliers 2003

Santa Clara Vanguard 1998

Santa Clara Vanguard 1997

Blue Devils 1995

Star of Indiana 1993

Phantom Regiment 1989

Santa Clara Vanguard 1988

Santa Clara Vanguard 1987

You don't need to explain Bluecoats 2015 at all. Would've probably won any other year not named 2014 or 2015.

Actually, I think I agree with all your picks

Definitely not disagreeing, but what exactly was wrong with it? I wasn't on these forums for 2014 really

I think thematically it just didn't have a lot of substance. Visually the trampolines were a huge risk that didn't pay off. They really cramped the field and their usage didn't justify the space they took up. Field was really cluttered. The muffler section went on WAY too long and did not go anywhere. Again, another risk that did not pay off. They were plagued with (good) rewrites that just couldn't get clean by finals.

They had a helluva hornline and a music book that I can listen to for days, and they really went for it, but I think the whole is less than the sum of the parts. I love it, even with its flaws though.

Edited by DrumManTx

You don't need to explain Bluecoats 2015 at all. Would've probably won any other year not named 2014 or 2015.

Actually, I think I agree with all your picks

Ehh, I'll explain cause I am bored.

:)

They were getting huge credit for content in GE, they actually had the highest content sum in GE on finals night. They also got super clean from an ensemble standpoint visually. Where I think they went a little wrong, even though this might be my all time favorite, is the horn book just didn't quite have the substance of the two above them. I feel like there were moments that could have been just a little more fleshed out. But when you look at the recap, it's just a few tenths here and a few tenths there and boom. They make up that difference pretty quick. They were competitive in percussion and guard, had the show, and were on the cusp brass wise. IMO they have fixed that this year, but we will see. I don't think the show needed any major adjustments to have won, just maybe one of those "one more week" shows. The judges dug what they were doing as a whole though.

The muffler section went on WAY too long and did not go anywhere.

THIS.

All during that season I kept waiting for them to fix that section. It started out cool but very quickly ran out of gas and just brought the whole production to a screeching halt. You can't let momentum die on you.

I agree with your other points about the show (trampolines, etc.) but to me this was the show killer.

Also, Mr. Boo, can you come read me drum corps stories before I got to bed every night?

Haha, just kidding.

But seriously, there is so much stuff I had never heard from that podcast alone, so many cool stories and your perspective is just so much fun to listen to. I love reading your stuff, and turns out I love listening to you too. PLEASE GO BACK ON!

I really look forward to listening to part two. Thank you for wanting to just write about drum corps, I think I and many others appreciate it! I'd love to do something like that............

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Also, Mr. Boo, can you come read me drum corps stories before I got to bed every night?

Haha, just kidding.

But seriously, there is so much stuff I had never heard from that podcast alone, so many cool stories and your perspective is just so much fun to listen to. I love reading your stuff, and turns out I love listening to you too. PLEASE GO BACK ON!

I really look forward to listening to part two. Thank you for wanting to just write about drum corps, I think I and many others appreciate it! I'd love to do something like that............

lol. I'd love to go back on and would do so if asked. (Feel free to suggest that.)

I love writing about drum corps because I love drum corps and because people like you make it worthwhile.

lol. I'd love to go back on and would do so if asked. (Feel free to suggest that.)

I love writing about drum corps because I love drum corps and because people like you make it worthwhile.

I just recently started to read your articles on DCI.org, but I honestly love reading them. You give so much in-depth insight to the shows that it's truly amazing reading your articles. It's almost like I'm transported there in that time as I read them. Just started listening to this podcast, thoroughly enjoying it right now. Thank you.

• Like 1

I think thematically it just didn't have a lot of substance. Visually the trampolines were a huge risk that didn't pay off. They really cramped the field and their usage didn't justify the space they took up. Field was really cluttered. The muffler section went on WAY too long and did not go anywhere. Again, another risk that did not pay off. They were plagued with (good) rewrites that just couldn't get clean by finals.

They had a helluva hornline and a music book that I can listen to for days, and they really went for it, but I think the whole is less than the sum of the parts. I love it, even with its flaws though.

Crown's 2014 show was just a fog to me. Other than the great hornline, everything was just meh. Trampoline section was a no. Only thing that really excited me was the huge high brass section.