Drum Corps shows that could have won

My top three "should have won" are

1979 Phantom Regiment--one of my favorite shows of all time

1980 27th Lancers--my favorite show of all time

1987 SCV

I go back and forth with 1989 Phantom. I love that show but also love SCV who won that year.

However, 1980 did have one of the closest finishes of all time between 1st and 4th place. I saw BD, Spirit, 27th, and Bridgemen live that year but only in Boston. BD and 27th were both on fire at CYO Nationals, a few days later at DCI East, 27th had a show many involved believe was the best performance of the corps, ever. I can recall being concerned 27th may not have been strong enough, but when BD performed, it was lackluster. y concern was Spirit would take first, maybe Bridgemen. When I watch the 1980 Legacy DVD, I still believe 27th should have topped BD, but Bridgemen fans and Spirit fans could make the same argument.

Of course this is all easy to do when you watch a DVD of a show that took place thirty six years ago and features a corps you loved that are no longer.

• Like 1

No one ever talks about BD 2004. SummerTrain Blues Mix.

I tried to leave out 2nd place shows in my list, especially BD ones, but this is probably my favorite BD show ever. This definitely could have won in most years.

I tried to leave out 2nd place shows in my list, especially BD ones, but this is probably my favorite BD show ever. This definitely could have won in most years.

Thanks

I think it’s a more interesting topic leaving out the 2nd place shows, moving further down the ranks and looking at design as opposed to performance.

In the spirit of that, Bluecoats 2007 early in the season before they watered it down and dropped to 7th. I'd also add 2007 Regiment from that year, the flocking and pit were great

On the subject of Bluecoats 2007...I don't think that show should have won or even been top 3, but I consider that show possibly the most egregiously underrated and under-scored of all time.

Garfield didn't even play! bzzz bzz didga diga zzt zzt I counted almost 5 minutes of tacit nothing.

They played more than you think, but who says you have to play all the time. BD doesn't march all the time, in fact very little in many of their championship shows of recent, but I don't fault them for that. Garfield's book was just better, with great percussionists.

Quote [Tim K .....dropped rifle...Phantom...]

Point of clarification - I believe guard scores out of 2 points were not actually a part of the total score yet. I think they were just starting to experiment with ranking guards, and used this to award the caption to match other sections.

Though it is easy to blame an obvious error, I dread the thought of the entire corps' anger pointed to 1 person.

Sort of like a dropped pass during a 2 min drill for the comeback win... What about all the errors that took place the previous 48 minutes of play?

I would have rather been behind by more than a point, especially with ticks. That would have been a clear statement that "They are better than you" This, to me, was like a 3-way tie for 1st.

Looking back at the recap....

M&M = BD

Drums = SC

Brass = PR

GE = SC, BD & PR tied in GE at -.2 behind SC

So, it was a mixed bag all around.

Quote [Tim K .....dropped rifle...Phantom...]

Point of clarification - I believe guard scores out of 2 points were not actually a part of the total score yet. I think they were just starting to experiment with ranking guards, and used this to award the caption to match other sections.

Though it is easy to blame an obvious error, I dread the thought of the entire corps' anger pointed to 1 person.

Sort of like a dropped pass during a 2 min drill for the comeback win... What about all the errors that took place the previous 48 minutes of play?

I would have rather been behind by more than a point, especially with ticks. That would have been a clear statement that "They are better than you" This, to me, was like a 3-way tie for 1st.

Looking back at the recap....

M&M = BD

Drums = SC

Brass = PR

GE = SC, BD & PR tied in GE at -.2 behind SC

So, it was a mixed bag all around.

They actually talked about this one in the podcast. Very interesting discussion for someone who didn't even know about any of that.

On the subject of Bluecoats 2007...I don't think that show should have won or even been top 3, but I consider that show possibly the most egregiously underrated and under-scored of all time.

It blows my mind how close Phantom, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, and Bluecoats were that year. I feel like that set of finalists as a whole is underrated. Ran DEEP that year in terms of corps in the second tier below contender. We haven't seen that in recent years, usually a point and a half or two drop off between 4th and 5th or 5th and 6th.

See, I always look at Bloo 2007 as the prime example of a show peaking too early (and yes, I think it was scored correctly). I remember being pumped for them the first half of the season. They beat Blue Devils once or twice, that was amazing! And when I saw them in San Antonio, I thought Criminal was the coolest show ever. And then, it just never got any better. Their finals performance felt exactly like their midseason show, whereas BD, Cadets, Cavies....everyone felt immensely better from mid July. Perfect example, to me, of remembering that the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Agree

Bluecoats beat SCV at Stanford the week before finals. SCV was notably cleaner at finals while Bluecoats performance didn't seem any stronger (both great shows!)