DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

The activity has relatively few world-class Corps already. Splitting it up even further would make the activity even weaker. The only thing that might make sense would be to have regional championships across the board, with one or two wild-card positions.

Edited by MikeRapp

The activity has relatively few world-class Corps already. Splitting it up even further would make the activity even weaker. The only thing that might make sense would be to have regional championships across the board, with one or two wild-card positions.

I don't disagree with the relative numbers, but it's basically a 3 horse race every year now. So at least this way 5-12 have a realistic shot at something.

Who am I kidding...it's like a 1 horse race these days. ;-)

Edited by Phantom1701

Have you seen it in person? It is just as good as those other years.

Why does everyone on here say "have you seen them in person" when someone says something they don't agree with? Anyway...I'm glad you're a fan. And BD is glad. But man this show is not as good as those other years...it's essentially the same show as last year except there is not a clearly communicated storyline. And last year they barely won. I've been a BD fan for a long time and I usually love what they do. And the music in this show is pretty solid. But the visual design is tired and flat. And the guard gets lost in many places when they're in front of those backdrops. And the percussion feature just lays there. Of course they'll change the ending...but that may not be enough. Sorry man but imo this show is visually weak and the horn line is not as good as the last two years. And they are probably getting beat in percussion by SCV every night. But we'll all see soon enough. Should be fun. Glad everyone has their show they love this year. Makes drum corps continue to grow!!!

It is not really as much "WGI" costuming as it is a clothing choice that allows for them to greatly increase the responsibilities of the performers. You can't necessarily appreciate this until you see them in person. I wasn't sure I was sold on the look, especially the lack of hat, until I saw them up close, but my mind is now changed. The Bluecoats hornline moves well. VERY well, to the point of being better than some color guards.

I attended the show with a longtime friend who was in several of the greatest Cadets guards and went on to have a long career as a professional dancer. We both had the same impression: they are doing complex body movement at a high level, which shows a strong foundation in dance training. When the horns first emerge from behind the slide in a block, there a complicated sequence that ends with them essentiall rolling onto their heads with legs in the air.

Not possible with a hat. Nor is the easy way they emerge at the top of, and then slide down the slides.

It's good stuff and allows them to seamlessly add a whole new dimension of difficulty and interest to their performance, without clunky costume changes. They can snap into rigid "horns up" mode, or dissolve into interpretive dance on a moment's notice. Maximum flexibility for whatever the show calls for.

Bottom line: they are doing it for the RIGHT reasons, based on sound design choices and the enhancement it can bring. Now what the bandwagon hordes do in response is anyone's guess. If you aren't going to attempt the level of stuff they are doing, stick with a jacket and hat.

Those worrying about budget disaster shouldn't. All these top corps have sponsorship deals which greatly reduces or eliminates the cost. Even with that, a spandex shirt/biketard and pants is no more expensive than a new outfit from the mall. This is not the same as the heavy, tailored coats of old that had to last 10 years becasue they cost a fortune. Even with the eventual trickle down into the band world, the price of entry and cost of maintenance for these wash-n-wear things is so much less, that it's not a killer.

Now does it also sustain the "military industrial complex" of the FJMs of the world? Absolutely, but that is a separate discussion.

Great post, thanks for the reply. I agree that what the Bluecoats ARE doing with this costume is pretty phenomenal. The demand of that opening dance is not lost on me, trust me, and I realize that it would not be possible had they been using their traditional uniforms.

My concern is not with the Bluecoats' use of it, but with the spread of this style to other corps. I have written in another thread discussing this that I will fight for the right for the Bluecoats to be able to use this costuming and to continue to put out these awesome show designs, but I really do not want anyone else following them and that is my concern. What the Bluecoats are doing is cool, but I can see myself getting tired of it if there are more corps doing something similar.

• Like 1

Why does everyone on here say "have you seen them in person" when someone says something they don't agree with? Anyway...I'm glad you're a fan. And BD is glad. But man this show is not as good as those other years...it's essentially the same show as last year except there is not a clearly communicated storyline. And last year they barely won. I've been a BD fan for a long time and I usually love what they do. And the music in this show is pretty solid. But the visual design is tired and flat. And the guard gets lost in many places when they're in front of those backdrops. And the percussion feature just lays there. Of course they'll change the ending...but that may not be enough. Sorry man but imo this show is visually weak and the horn line is not as good as the last two years. And they are probably getting beat in percussion by SCV every night. But we'll all see soon enough. Should be fun. Glad everyone has their show they love this year. Makes drum corps continue to grow!!!

There was no clearly communicated story in BD's show last year until around Atlanta or so. The whole story didn't fully come together until championship weekend when Clara (the little girl) was introduced. Give it some time, BD has proven they know how to properly develop a show throughout the season year after year.

Your missing the other 75% of the equation. All the corps that have no realistic chance to win. It would strengthen the overall activity. Virtually zero downside.

Great post, thanks for the reply. I agree that what the Bluecoats ARE doing with this costume is pretty phenomenal. The demand of that opening dance is not lost on me, trust me, and I realize that it would not be possible had they been using their traditional uniforms.

My concern is not with the Bluecoats' use of it, but with the spread of this style to other corps. I have written in another thread discussing this that I will fight for the right for the Bluecoats to be able to use this costuming and to continue to put out these awesome show designs, but I really do not want anyone else following them and that is my concern. What the Bluecoats are doing is cool, but I can see myself getting tired of it if there are more corps doing something similar.

I hate to say this, but if high school bands were more like this year's Bluecoats style, there would be a ton more kids interested in being in band, and a lot more interest from the crowds. The appeal for traditional marching is limited, whether we like it or not, and given that the biggest shows of the last decade all seem to be leaning on layered thematic, dramatic productions should speak for itself.

I guess I look at some of these videos from the 80s, of renowned World Class shows, and it makes me chuckle. Put today's 12th place corps on the same field as these guys and the 12th place corps would bring the house down. Times change. The idea of having windmills, ramps, or for heavens sake a horse drawn carriage on the field would be more than absurd 20 years ago. The activity has evolved, and is much better for it.

Your missing the other 75% of the equation. All the corps that have no realistic chance to win. It would strengthen the overall activity. Virtually zero downside.

There is a difference between making finals and winning a medal. The system you are proposing would virtually guarantee only one of the top corps could ever win a medal. The best performing corps are going to win the medals.

The only thing that will really change the balance of power is to add more power. DCI needs to work so much harder at helping high school band leaders get their kids into a DCI corps. And that probably has to include getting rid of the entrance fees. That would immediately make it far more likely that minorities would choose to spend their summer in a corps.

There is a difference between making finals and winning a medal. The system you are proposing would virtually guarantee only one of the top corps could ever win a medal. The best performing corps are going to win the medals.

The only thing that will really change the balance of power is to add more power. DCI needs to work so much harder at helping high school band leaders get their kids into a DCI corps. And that probably has to include getting rid of the entrance fees. That would immediately make it far more likely that minorities would choose to spend their summer in a corps.

Actually that's not what I'm proposing at all. I will explain better another time.